Stony Brook Class of 2028 Interview/Acceptance Thread

stony brook is a new york public school whereas rutgers is a new jersey public school. they also have two separate admission committees. even if those two people got an interview from one does not mean they get an interview from the other.
i understand, but on stony brook website states that “Applicants who have submitted all application materials will be invited to complete an online assessment with priority invitation given to those who meet the preferred criteria.”

I think everyone should receive kira, and then they determine who will be invited for interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Still haven’t heard from SB post end of December interview.
What is a letter of intent and can it help me get an acceptance? Would be grateful for any advice.

Still haven’t heard from SB post end of December interview.
What is a letter of intent and can it help me get an acceptance? Would be grateful for any advice.
A letter of intent is you saying “if you accept me i will attend your school” no matter what. no matter if you paid a deposit elsewhere or if a cheaper option comes along later. And it depends on the school if it’ll help. Stonys class is so small i highly doubt they struggle to fill the seats. Therefore, i honestly don’t think it would make a huge difference. It can help more for schools who have a hard time filling a class. My guess is that’s not the case for SB but one thing for sure is it definitely won’t hurt. It may not make a big difference positively, but it won’t hurt your chances negatively so there’s really no downfall to sending it if you are 100000% set on Stony.

Members don't see this ad :)
A letter of intent is you saying “if you accept me i will attend your school” no matter what. no matter if you paid a deposit elsewhere or if a cheaper option comes along later. And it depends on the school if it’ll help. Stonys class is so small i highly doubt they struggle to fill the seats. Therefore, i honestly don’t think it would make a huge difference. It can help more for schools who have a hard time filling a class. My guess is that’s not the case for SB but one thing for sure is it definitely won’t hurt. It may not make a big difference positively, but it won’t hurt your chances negatively so there’s really no downfall to sending it if you are 100000% set on Stony.
thank you very much! Who would you address this letter to? The admission committee in general?

Has anyone received a post Dec 15 interview yet?

Got wait listed. Anything I can do to improve my chances of getting accepted? Grateful for any advice!

hi
I got waitlisted at Stony brook and that is my very top choice. I am IS. I thought of sending them a letter of intent. I appreciate any suggestions on the letter of intent and any other actions I can take to improve my change of getting an acceptance.

many many thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
hi
I got waitlisted at Stony brook and that is my very top choice. I am IS. I thought of sending them a letter of intent. I appreciate any suggestions on the letter of intent and any other actions I can take to improve my change of getting an acceptance.

many many thanks!
Hey, letter of intents are not useful for stony brook. They’re very competitive already so they don’t have trouble filling their class. I also actually talked to someone attending stony and they said their Class is full already unfortunately.

Last edited:
i understand, but on stony brook website states that “Applicants who have submitted all application materials will be invited to complete an online assessment with priority invitation given to those who meet the preferred criteria.”

I think everyone should receive kira, and then they determine who will be invited for interview.
Did you end up doing the Kira with them?

Hey, letter of intents are not useful for stony brook. They’re very competitive already so they don’t have trouble filling their class. I also actually talked to someone attending stony and they said their Class is full already unfortunately.
hey, are they 100% sure the class is full? I know many people who interviewed in late Jan including myself who haven't heard back yet so was just wondering.

hey, are they 100% sure the class is full? I know many people who interviewed in late Jan including myself who haven't heard back yet so was just wondering.
They’re like 99% sure. And this is because They work with admissions.

Not true, letters of intent are useful and show commitment. It’s appreciated to show the student is motivated to attend the school.

hi

many many thanks!
I’d definitely send a letter of intent if you’re sure you want to commit to the school.

Not true, letters of intent are useful and show commitment. It’s appreciated to show the student is motivated to attend the school.
That's good to hear. Stony is my top choice as well and I really hope I get in.

That's good to hear. Stony is my top choice as well and I really hope I get in.
have you committed elsewhere? I would just be cautious of where I send my letter because they are full. but goodluck

They’re like 99% sure. And this is because They work with admissions.
In the waitlist email, they said the class was full. I spoke to a few students from previous classes and there are kids every year that get off the waitlist in March. I'm unsure how much a letter of intent is considered. It's worth a shot if you so choose.

In the waitlist email, they said the class was full. I spoke to a few students from previous classes and there are kids every year that get off the waitlist in March. I'm unsure how much a letter of intent is considered. It's worth a shot if you so choose.
Were you waitlisted with an interview? When did you get waitlisted?

Also, I heard some people who haven’t received waitlists yet but they still have not been rejected or accepted. What do you think that means ?

Last edited:
I don't really feel that letter of intents do much, especially in a public school with a small class size that is already full because there's nothing stopping the admissions officers from thinking that you probably sent letter of intents to other schools as well. However, I don't think that it can hurt you so you may as well send them one

Were you waitlisted with an interview? When did you get waitlisted?

Also, I heard some people who haven’t received waitlists yet but they still have not been rejected or accepted. What do you think that means ?
I did not know people were waitlisted without an interview. I was waitlisted with an interview last week and I interviewed in late January. From looking at previous threads, I would assume they interview until at least end of February. However, I'm unsure if this is the case this cycle. If you had an interview, when did you have it? I think it is unusual if you haven't heard from the school in a week or two after interviewing. Maybe try calling after two weeks of having an interview if you still haven't heard back.

I don't really feel that letter of intents do much, especially in a public school with a small class size that is already full because there's nothing stopping the admissions officers from thinking that you probably sent letter of intents to other schools as well. However, I don't think that it can hurt you so you may as well send them one
Sending letters of intent to multiple schools is an extremely bad idea. Often times it’s seen as binding, where if you send a letter of intent and then are subsequently accepted, and you back out, it’s often considered a burnt bridge for that school. You have to be careful with this as often times you’ll want to reapply to that school for residency, and don’t forget that people know each other. Doctors talk amongst schools, you don’t want to be known as the applicant that goes against their word. Be careful about other people telling you to not express your interest/intent to a school, they may by a student competing for a spot off the waitlist!

Last edited:
I did not know people were waitlisted without an interview. I was waitlisted with an interview last week and I interviewed in late January. From looking at previous threads, I would assume they interview until at least end of February. However, I'm unsure if this is the case this cycle. If you had an interview, when did you have it? I think it is unusual if you haven't heard from the school in a week or two after interviewing. Maybe try calling after two weeks of having an interview if you still haven't heard back.
A friend of mine interviewed predec and haven’t heard back yet.

Sending letters of intent to multiple schools is an extremely bad idea. Often times it’s seen as binding, where if you send a letter of intent and then are subsequently accepted, and you back out, it’s often considered a burnt bridge for that school. You have to be careful with this as often times you’ll want to reapply to that school for residency, and don’t forget that people know each other. Doctors talk amongst schools, you don’t want to be known as the applicant that goes against their word. Be careful about other people telling you to not express your interest/intent to a school, they may by a student competing for a spot off the waitlist!
Letters of intent are not binding and schools know this too. That’s why some schools do not value them actually.

A friend of mine interviewed predec and haven’t heard back yet
They did say during my interview we would hear back in a week or two. They should try calling or sending an email maybe because that is a while ago. Best of luck to them.

They did say during my interview we would hear back in a week or two. They should try calling or sending an email maybe because that is a while ago. Best of luck to them.
They interviewed before December , but never heard back on Dec 15. So I am not sure why they’re still not hearing back.

hi

many many thanks!
Send the letter. This person has no idea what they are talking about. The roster fluctuates all the way through the summer as people get other offers. A letter of intent can get you to the top of the waitlist. Always worth the try.

Reactions: 2 users
I personally know people who were taken off the waitlist after sending a letter of intent. Do not make statements like this to mislead people. People drop from the class all the time, that is the point of the waitlist.

Reactions: 1 users
I personally know people who were taken off the waitlist after sending a letter of intent. Do not make statements like this to mislead people. People drop from the class all the time, that is the point of the waitlist.
I agree. I personally think the above poster was making that incorrect statement to try and reduce the competition.

I agree. I personally think the above poster was making that incorrect statement to try and reduce the competition.
for your information, I have been accepted to stony, so there is no need for me to reduce the competition LOLLL. I am just simply stating what my friend who attends the school and works with admissions told them. I honesty do not care what anyone ends up choosing to do.

Last edited:
I just interviewed on January 30th, still have not heard anything back. Wondering if anyone who interviewed in January is in this same boat?

I just interviewed on January 30th, still have not heard anything back. Wondering if anyone who interviewed in January is in this same boat?
I interviewed on 1/18 and got on the waitlist on 2/2. I would maybe reach out to them this week because I have heard a lot of people say the class is already full.

What did your waitlist email say? Did it mention that the class was filled?
yea in my waitlist email, they stated that all available seats for the class of 2028 had already been filled. They also told me I had until February 16th to accept my seat on the waitlist.

yea in my waitlist email, they stated that all available seats for the class of 2028 had already been filled. They also told me I had until February 16th to accept my seat on the waitlist.
Ya mine said the same. Thanks. I think there should be movement around march.

Hey we interviewed on the same day and I heard back on 2/8 for waitlist!

heyy I'm also on the same boat and interviewed on the same day as you ;(