Stony Brook Class of 2028 Interview/Acceptance Thread

Ryxndek

D1 Minnesota
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
Link to last year's thread: Stony Brook Class of 2027 Interview/Acceptance Thread

Link to interview prep: SUNY - Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine Interview Feedback
----> Be sure to give feedback on your interview to help future applicants! :)

Link to school website: SUNY - Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine

Class of 2024 (ADEA Guide) General Stats:
Overall GPA: 3.72
Science GPA: 3.66
DAT: 22.3AA, 22.1TS, 20.7PAT
Applied: 946
OOS: 562 Applied, N/A Interviewed, 35 Accepted
IS: 328 Applied, N/A Interviewed, 71 Accepted
International: 56 Applied, N/A Interviewed, 6 Accepted
# Enrolled: 46
Class of 2026 (ADEA Guide) General Stats:
Overall GPA: 3.74
Science GPA: 3.69
DAT: 22.1AA, 21.6TS, 20.6PAT
Applied: 1,068
OOS: 593 Applied, 35 Accepted
IS: 397 Applied, 65 Accepted
International: 78 Applied, 5 Accepted
# Enrolled: 44
5th-95th Percentiles
Science: 3.35-4.00
Overall: 3.48-4.00

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this, but does anyone know if you can get one of your rec letter writers to write the professional character reference? Not sure if that's considered "double dipping" or something? I'm submitting a committee letter by the way if that makes any difference.

Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this, but does anyone know if you can get one of your rec letter writers to write the professional character reference? Not sure if that's considered "double dipping" or something? I'm submitting a committee letter by the way if that makes any difference.
i did that but i dont know any better than u ahha

Members don't see this ad :)
i did that but i dont know any better than u ahha
Omg I'm so glad someone else is in the same predicament!! I asked this on reddit too and seems like no one knows... I'm gonna ask somebody from my school who goes there now to see what they did and I'll update you

Omg I'm so glad someone else is in the same predicament!! I asked this on reddit too and seems like no one knows... I'm gonna ask somebody from my school who goes there now to see what they did and I'll update you
So turns out it wasn't a requirement two years ago so it's something new they added? Current student says they don't remember having to get a professional character reference outside of the committee letter they prefer

So turns out it wasn't a requirement two years ago so it's something new they added? Current student says they don't remember having to get a professional character reference outside of the committee letter they prefer
Im sure it’s a low priority consideration after so many other factors

Members don't see this ad :)
did anyone got any confirmation for under/review? I recieved nothing back...TIA

Reactions: 1 user
For those of you who have done Kira, what did you think of it? Do they ask basic dental interview questions? I know Stony Brook has real interviews, so I'm a little confused about what this Kira is for and what kind of questions they would ask us....?

For those of you who have done Kira, what did you think of it? Do they ask basic dental interview questions? I know Stony Brook has real interviews, so I'm a little confused about what this Kira is for and what kind of questions they would ask us....?
Kira is just another way for schools to flush out applicants before sending out interviews.

I can’t speak for what questions are specifically on there bc I’m done with the app process and don’t go to SB, but you can look up kira questions online ti get an idea. It’s like an interview, so I’d just prep for it like that. They use these types of formats because unlike studying for an exam or doing well in a class, these Kira and Casper tests you can’t truly study for them, so it’s a test to see how you think on your feet and to get an idea of your personality and the way you think things through when asked a question.

If you’ve ever been interviewed for a job, it’s kinda like that from what I’ve been told, just more of a one sided conversation with them asking the question and you videoing your answer.

Has anyone that applied in July received Kira invite yet?

I just want to note for future applicants here that Stony Brook was my first Kira invite and of the four Kira assessments I have done it is still my favorite. The Kira assessment by Stony Brook was stream-lined and concise. It also helped that I got to see a video of a member of the SBU community asking me the question instead of me having to read a block of text.

Reactions: 2 users
Does every applicant get a Kira invite? Or is Kira a selective process in and of itself?

Does every applicant get a Kira invite? Or is Kira a selective process in and of itself?
It says on AADSAS that "All applicants who meet the minimum criteria will be required to complete an online Kira Talent Assessment."

I just want to note for future applicants here that Stony Brook was my first Kira invite and of the four Kira assessments I have done it is still my favorite. The Kira assessment by Stony Brook was stream-lined and concise. It also helped that I got to see a video of a member of the SBU community asking me the question instead of me having to read a block of text.
Was it pretty similar in terms of questions to NYU/Indiana (if you did either)? Situational/behavioral questions?

Interview #6
School: Stony Brook
Notification date: 09/13/2023
Method of notification: Email
Residency: IS
AADSAS mail-out date: 05/31/2023
Application complete: 08/2/2023
GPA (overall, science): 3.48, 3.42
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/22/23/21/none
Method of Interview: In-person

Interview #6
School: Stony Brook
Notification date: 09/13/2023
Method of notification: Email
Residency: IS
AADSAS mail-out date: 05/31/2023
Application complete: 08/2/2023
GPA (overall, science): 3.48, 3.42
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/22/23/21/none
Method of Interview: In-person
When did you do your Kira? Was it similar to most schools' Kiras?

I just noticed that the interview tracker says Stony Brook interviews are virtual. I only had the option for in person.

I just submitted my application last week. I took my dat exam late. Official was posted yesterday. Do no know if i still have a chance to receive kira assement lol

I was sent the Kira invite 2 weeks after my confirmation
thank you, the admission just contacted last Friday regarding shown incomplete prerequisite on my application. I contacted aadsas and was confirmed everything was verified. I think there is discrepancies in my application. However I submitted my biochem grade to the admission. Hopefully I will get Kira in two week from now.

I got phone call and email acceptance at 11:53!

Congrats to those who have been accepted to Stony Brook SDM! :) Here's a FB group students who have put down their deposit can join! Log into Facebook

If the link doesn't take you there, look up "Stony Brook Dental Medicine 2028"

Congrats again!

stony brook is a new york public school whereas rutgers is a new jersey public school. they also have two separate admission committees. even if those two people got an interview from one does not mean they get an interview from the other.