2023-2024 East Carolina (Brody)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 East Carolina (Brody) Secondary Prompts

2500 max characters each and it is strongly recommended that you not copy and paste your AMCAS application essay.

1. When you close your eyes and imagine your professional life 20 years from now, what do you see?

2. Tell us about a time where you felt that your persisted towards a goal or outcome you wanted even when there where challenges/barriers in the way. How did to you stay motivated to achieve your goal? Describe resources you used to overcome the challenge.

3. Medical school presents numerous emotional and professional challenges. Please share an instance where you faced a difficult academic situation and explain how you managed the situation. How did you promote your wellness during this situation?

4. East Carolina University’s motto is Servire- “To Serve.” Tell us about your most meaningful community service project or experience unrelated to patient care.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hi everyone - current M4 (i.e. just now starting fourth year and graduating this time next year) at Brody. happy to answer any questions.

Reactions: 3 users
hi everyone - current M4 (i.e. just now starting fourth year and graduating this time next year) at Brody. happy to answer any questions.
Hi! I'm so excited about Brody and submitted my primary this month. I'm confused and a little worried about the process of North Carolina residency determination. I lived in Colorado before I attended Duke for 4 years. Since graduation I've lived and worked full time in Durham. I marked myself down as a North Carolina resident on my AMCAS. Do you know how residency determination works and if I should be worried about whether or not I'll be allowed to apply.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is fromt he North carolina RDS website

Physically living in NC for the last FULL year, 365 days, as your primary and permanent residence is a basic prerequisite requirement for in-state residency status. You must be at least 19 years of age to establish duration apart from your parents.
In addition, you must have domiciliary acts to prove that steps have been taken to show NC is your primary and permanent residence for the past 12 months.
Some examples of these acts include:
  • DMV records
  • voter registration
  • paystubs
  • income taxes filed as a full time or partial year NC resident
  • government assistance received in NC
Housing documentation is NOT a domiciliary act used to establish 12 months of residency. Also, be aware that criteria are different for dependent and independent students. For dependent students (see Parent Information Required/ Independent Students), your residence is based on the residence of your parent.

Reactions: 1 user
about when did everyone start receiving secondaries in previous years?

IS secondary received (I received like 4 emails all right in a row idk if that happened to anyone else but kinda strange!)

@chilly_md

Please complete this section using the prompt given. Your essays should be limited to 250-300 words (2500 max characters) each and it is strongly recommended that you not copy and paste your AMCAS application essay.

When you close your eyes and imagine your professional life 20 years from now, what do you see? (250-300 words maximum).

Tell us about a time where you felt that your persisted towards a goal or outcome you wanted even when there where challenges/barriers in the way. How did to you stay motivated to achieve your goal? Describe resources you used to overcome the challenge. (250-300 words maximum)

Medical school presents numerous emotional and professional challenges. Please share an instance where you faced a difficult academic situation and explain how you managed the situation. How did you promote your wellness during this situation? (250-300 words maximum)

Reactions: 1 users
IS secondary received (I received like 4 emails all right in a row idk if that happened to anyone else but kinda strange!)

@chilly_md

Please complete this section using the prompt given. Your essays should be limited to 250-300 words (2500 max characters) each and it is strongly recommended that you not copy and paste your AMCAS application essay.

When you close your eyes and imagine your professional life 20 years from now, what do you see? (250-300 words maximum).

Tell us about a time where you felt that your persisted towards a goal or outcome you wanted even when there where challenges/barriers in the way. How did to you stay motivated to achieve your goal? Describe resources you used to overcome the challenge. (250-300 words maximum)

Medical school presents numerous emotional and professional challenges. Please share an instance where you faced a difficult academic situation and explain how you managed the situation. How did you promote your wellness during this situation? (250-300 words maximum)
Thanks for sharing! They also posted an update on this webpage: Admissions Update - Brody School of Medicine Admissions

Members don't see this ad :)
Did we have to do any verification of in-state residency before submitting the primary? Just wondering if that is related to receiving a secondary?

Did we have to do any verification of in-state residency before submitting the primary? Just wondering if that is related to receiving a secondary?
It made me do a residency determination thingy inside the secondary through the RDS website

Is it just me, or is anyone still waiting on their secondary? lol Figured I'd give them until Monday or Tuesday before contacting them.

Anyone know what to do in the situation where I moved elsewhere for a job (Massachusetts) and post-bacc for the past 1 year, but have been in NC for 18 years before? There's a question that asks if I have moved from NC in the past year- how do I explain that I am still a legal resident of NC for purposes of applying and plan to return? ECU states only "current, legal residents may apply" and I already have a RCN residency number from the website.

Anyone know what to do in the situation where I moved elsewhere for a job (Massachusetts) and post-bacc for the past 1 year, but have been in NC for 18 years before? There's a question that asks if I have moved from NC in the past year- how do I explain that I am still a legal resident of NC for purposes of applying and plan to return? ECU states only "current, legal residents may apply" and I already have a RCN residency number from the website.
if you have a current RCN number then thats all you need. If your RCN expired then you'll have to re-submit the survey. If you haven't taken steps to move your legal residency to MA (chagce voter registration, car registration, drivers license etc) then you shouldn't have an issue with the RDS

if you have a current RCN number then thats all you need. If your RCN expired then you'll have to re-submit the survey. If you haven't taken steps to move your legal residency to MA (chagce voter registration, car registration, drivers license etc) then you shouldn't have an issue with the RDS
Great- thank you so much!

IS received today.

the secondary posted is missing one questions

East Carolina University’s motto is Servire- “To Serve.” Tell us about your most meaningful community service project or experience unrelated to patient care. (250-300 words maximum)

IS received today.

the secondary posted is missing one questions

East Carolina University’s motto is Servire- “To Serve.” Tell us about your most meaningful community service project or experience unrelated to patient care. (250-300 words maximum)
Thank you. We have added this question to the top now.

How are y'all approaching the last prompt about service. I already discussed my most meaningful service project in my personal statement and my activities section, so I don't know what else to say without sounding repetitive. But I also don't want to talk about a different project that wasn't as meaningful.

How are y'all approaching the last prompt about service. I already discussed my most meaningful service project in my personal statement and my activities section, so I don't know what else to say without sounding repetitive. But I also don't want to talk about a different project that wasn't as meaningful.
I would try to emphasize different aspects what you learned/how you grew from your service project, ideally that align with the ECU mission statement. What do I know though - im just a boy

What would be recommended- following the 250-300 word maximum as listed on the prompts, or is it okay to go by the 2500 max. characters that the space allows? My 2500 characters is coming out to ~400 words

What would be recommended- following the 250-300 word maximum as listed on the prompts, or is it okay to go by the 2500 max. characters that the space allows? My 2500 characters is coming out to ~400 words
I was wondering that as well because same (mine are also almost 400 words but under the character max).... why on earth would they have two different limits XD

I submitted all of my supplemental material (all the stuff in application gateway), and I paid the the application fee on the other link they have. I did get a confirmation of payment, but I have not gotten an email confirming the completion of my secondary. Is anyone else in the same boat not having confirmation of completed secondary?

I submitted all of my supplemental material (all the stuff in application gateway), and I paid the the application fee on the other link they have. I did get a confirmation of payment, but I have not gotten an email confirming the completion of my secondary. Is anyone else in the same boat not having confirmation of completed secondary?
Me too

Hello! I'm interested in what research opportunities look like at Brody. What proportion of the class participates in research and what is the nature of it - mostly basic science or translational? Is Brody focused on bringing technology into rural/underserved NC communities?

I was wondering that as well because same (mine are also almost 400 words but under the character max).... why on earth would they have two different limits XD
Yeah- not sure- does anyone have any recommendations for this?

Yeah- not sure- does anyone have any recommendations for this?
no idea - theres also the weird last prompt that gives you an extra 3500 characters to write in. Can I fill this whole thing up making my answers longer?

Hello! I'm interested in what research opportunities look like at Brody. What proportion of the class participates in research and what is the nature of it - mostly basic science or translational? Is Brody focused on bringing technology into rural/underserved NC communities?
I'm not sure about a proportion but anecdotally I can tell you that most classmates I've spoken to have done SOMEthing while they've been at Brody - some have been involved in basic science research, some clinical, some translational, some case reports, some reviews. I think it probably depends on what specialty people are going for, both in terms of what kind of research they get involved in and how much of it they do. the opportunities are definitely out there, but you have to be proactive in looking for them. if you want a more direct/intensive route, there's also the research distinction track, which every student can apply for during M1 (I think each distinction track typically takes 7-8 students per year?) - see link.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by your second question, but I can tell you that even before the pandemic ECU Health was doing a lot more, and more comprehensive, telehealth than most health systems in order to get health care to patients in rural and remote areas. if that's not the answer you were looking for, can you please clarify what you were asking?

Normally after submitting the application, I receive an email from the school stating, "Thank you for submitting your supplemental application..." I did not get that when I submitted this app. Anybody have the same issue?

Normally after submitting the application, I receive an email from the school stating, "Thank you for submitting your supplemental application..." I did not get that when I submitted this app. Anybody have the same issue?
I submitted 7/20 and just got a confirmation email today... weird I don't know why that happened and was different from every other school!

I submitted 7/20 and just got a confirmation email today... weird I don't know why that happened and was different from every other school!
All you did was complete the tasks right? There was no formal submit button for me like other applications? All my answers are locked, so I'm assuming that means my application is complete

All you did was complete the tasks right? There was no formal submit button for me like other applications? All my answers are locked, so I'm assuming that means my application is complete
Yeah I think so! I just made sure everything was marked complete at that main home page. And then the payment was somewhere completely different

Has anyone still not received a confirmation email of their application submission? My secondary was submitted in July and still haven't heard anything. Just trying to see if this is the majority of people or just me

Has anyone still not received a confirmation email of their application submission? My secondary was submitted in July and still haven't heard anything. Just trying to see if this is the majority of people or just me
Same, received payment confirmation, but that was it.

My primary application was verified in late June and I am an instate applicant, but I still haven't received my secondary application. Is anyone else in the same boat? Should I email the admissions committee?

My primary application was verified in late June and I am an instate applicant, but I still haven't received my secondary application. Is anyone else in the same boat? Should I email the admissions committee?

Same I haven’t received one either.

did you receive a confirmation email yet?

For those who have completed the application but haven't received anything, I called. they said once someone actually reviews your application, they'll send an email confirming that your application is complete. so other than that, we just wait like any other school and nothing is wrong!