Wisconsin vs Cornell

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orthopedic Sturgeon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Looking for some advice - I was just accepted at Cornell off the waitlist and have to decide between that and Wisconsin (my IS). Should I even consider Cornell? The biggest issue is cost, with financial aid Cornell would be around 50k total more than WI after 4 years so that alone makes me inclined to stick with WI. However, after visiting the open houses I definitely liked Cornell better - they're both great schools but I connected more with the other students at Cornell and really like their problem based learning approach. Also, I don't plan on staying in WI long-term after vet school.

Would there be any other advantage in going to Cornell over Wisconsin? I plan on trying to specialize in SA surgery or ophtho after vet school (I realize there's a good chance this will change during vet school, but I'm as certain as I reasonably can be at this point) - would one school make be more competitive than the other when applying to internships/residencies in the future?

Any insights/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I say that the financials are the most important part. How are you getting to that financial number of 50k? Cornell's tuition for OOS is around 55k if I'm remembering correctly, which is about a 100k difference over 4 years. Also, I think that Cornell is significantly higher for cost of living, but don't quote me on that. You also then have to factor in travel costs, too.

Also, one school over the other will not benefit you in terms of attaining internships/residencies. I've talked with numerous vets (including boarded members), they've all said pick the cheapest school.

Keep in mind that vet school would only be 4 years. So even if you liked Cornell more, it is only 4 years of a relatively lower level of happiness. Compared to an additional $50-100,000 in debt.

Reactions: 6 users