What's the deal with such high DAT scores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rsweeney

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just curious as to what the deal is with such high DAT scores on SDN. Every single post on SDN has had an academic average above 20 and a PAT of 19+. Is there some bias as to those who sign in to SDN or do you think the general populace taking the DATS achieves scores of 20+. I am simply curious because I momentarily glimpsed at jaaps scores, among others, and was discouraged yet VERY impressed at the same time. Are DAT scores seriously improving for the 2004 cycle, hence becoming more competitive for each person? I a minterested in your thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I do not think SDN pre-dents are representative of the DAT taking population. With that said, I do think the avg's will increase some, but not drastic. The reason they will increase is becasue that has been the trend the last few years.

But I wouldn't worry Richard, your stats are superb. Objectively you make a fine candidate for dental school. Don't fret!!

Sweeney:

Your question have been addressed numerous times and you're not the only one that feels that way. If you look back at my very 1st SDN post in the "Under 3.0 CLub", you'll notice that I said the same thing.

One thing I've noticed about applicants/participants posting on SDN is that we are all very ambious and focused. And if you weren't focused, you soon became focused because of the all advice and examples on SDN. I'm not saying that all other dental applicants out there are slackers, but I simply believe that we all inspire one another and push one another to succeed.

Just like you right now, you say you're intimadated and discouraged, but you know what, when it come to the time for you to study and take the DAT, you'll think, fu@k, I'm going to be in that "Perfect Vision" club. I can too get them 20s/20s! And if you already took the DAT, you know that you did your best and you should be proud of your results.

Further, there are a lot of SDN lurker don't post their numbers because they feel that they have lower numbers so we always end up seeing more of the high numbers posted than lower numbers/stats.

Again, I've said this before and I'll said it again, there are brillant people on this SDN site, you can be intimidated or you can bust your ass off and join the club. It's not a competition, but simply a motivation.

Remember, as the year goes on, the admissions stats increases. Back in the days, 17/17s were national averages. Now it's what, 18/18s, 19/19s, and before long it will be 20/20s as averages.

Study hard my friend, you soon can also be an inspiration and motivation for others. One other note, if JAAP scored 16/17 today, he probably wouldn't post his numbers at all. Don't be discouraged, be motivated.

When I joined SDN, there were no DAT advice from people that did well. Now look at us, we've got advice and methods up to the WAAZOO.

Originally posted by Yah-E
One other note, if JAAP scored 16/17 today, he probably wouldn't post his numbers at all.

Thats for sure - I'd have no time as I'd be back to the books for 90 more days of studying my butt off!! The thought alone makes my stomach turn.

Members don't see this ad :)
And jaap, you're a FREAK :laugh: Those scores are not normal. I would venture to guess that no one will post scores that good this year or any other year for that matter (at least the AA). I challenge anyone to beat a 28 AA. I honestly think you are gonna shock some ad coms with those scores.

Congratulations

I agree with critterbug. I highly doubt anyone can beat a 28AA and 29s in the other topics. I appreciate everyone's comments. I am only overwhelmed because I have always done poorly on standardized exams and I am actually confident with this one (21AA, 19PAT). I am just so amazed at the high scores that I have been seeing that I naturally wondered how competitive I really am. But, after reading your comments, I see what you are talking about---I never really thought about the bias involved in posting scores versus not posting scores. One thing is for sure, I am going to establish a 21/19 vision club---WOOHOO---Anyone want in? It'll be a $1000 fee:clap:

Jaap, excellent job on your DAT. I think I am in love with those scores:love: :love: ...J/K I just wanted to use that smiley. Thank you everyone!!

rsweeny

Harvard's academic average for 2002 was 22. You had a 21. That was last year's class.

I think it's safe to say that you did "well"

It's understandable that this forum would have higher dat scores than is really represented in the real world. If you got a 28aa29pat, you'd be posting it all over the place as well, right?

Great scores or Not, I dont believe scores should be thrown all over the place. There should be a degree of privacy. Students who have yet to take the exam may get a little nervous from viewing scores of their fellow peers. I believe that there should be some sort of modesty. And who knows maybe modesty runs hand and hand with professionalism. :D

I disagree. I believe people come to this site to get away from this "privacy" you refer to and get some real, undiluted information. I hate getting answers like "it depends" or "it varies" or "everyone has a different experience, so it's hard to tell you an exact answer." I have loved reading everyone's stats from last year and this year and hearing specific details about their experiences, both with the DAT and the application process. If "modesty" means a reduction in the frank discussion that makes this forum worthwhile, than I'm against it. I have been intimidated by things posted on these forums, but it has pushed me to work harder. I certainly don't want to be shielded or sumbit to self-censorship.

I think Jaap is exactly right. People come on here to get direct answers. I would like to have a survey done of those pre-dent students who are serious SDNers. I bet that the average DAT score is much higher for those on here than in the "real world". I think it has something to do with psychosomatics. Before coming to SDN, people would tell me that as long as I scored above national average (17's) then I would be in good shape. Well, how much studying does one do to get a 17? Not much. However, those of us on here that see those posts with 20+ scores gives us something better to shoot for, a new vision/goal. It is human nature to be competitive and want to outdo your classmates/other students. That said, thanks to everyone for posting your scores, it doesn't scare me - it motivates me to do better! If I get the score that a month ago I considered great, I will be let down. Just my dos centavos.

Originally posted by voltagestock
Great scores or Not, I dont believe scores should be thrown all over the place. There should be a degree of privacy. Students who have yet to take the exam may get a little nervous from viewing scores of their fellow peers. I believe that there should be some sort of modesty. And who knows maybe modesty runs hand and hand with professionalism. :D

Modesty? This is a message board comprised of people who remain anonymous. I don't understand how you can get more modest than that.

I think it's unprofessional to not reveal your scores. By revealing your scores, you are proving your sincerity in regards to advice on preparation. Anyone can provide unsolicited advice on the DAT. But when I see people who score well, I take their advice much more seriously. Judging by past success stories, a lot of test-takers have benefited from the advice of members on here.

Sorry but my career is far too important for me to be concerned with trivial and stuffy matters like messageboard etiquette. I don't want to be told bland advice like: "Do your best" or "Study really hard and things will be peachy." I don't need this Ward Cleaver type of advice at the price of being "private" LOL :laugh: