WAMC: Lower but upward trend GPA; Average DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1173178

Date of submission: 8/7/23, Verified 8/25/23

Overall GPA: 3.52

Science GPA: 3.46

Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.31 (Currently taking Physics)

As a nursing student I was not passionate about the path I was taking (nursing) and really suffered during school (leaving my nursing university with a 3.2 GPA). I made this clear and talked about my journey in my personal statement, so I believe my rising GPA shows dedication and a passionate need for my career as a dentist.

DAT score (include AA and all sections):
AA: 19
TS: 19
Bio: 19
GC: 19
OC: 18
PAT: 20
RC: 22
QR: 16

State of Residence: South Dakota

Undergrad Attended: Northern State University

Major: Biology

Minor: Chemistry and Business

Minority? No

Re-applicant? No

Nontrad? Yes, was originally Nursing for a year and a half, then graduated from technical college with an associates in dental assisting, took the DANB and got certified after graduation. Now I’m finishing and have almost completed my undergraduate 4 year

Shadowing Experience: +1000 hours as a CDA

Volunteering Experience: ~140 hours and continuing
-animal shelter
-STEM outreach program at undergrad
-science fair judge
-pre health club functions

Employment:
-Hub City Dental Lab: ~1705 hours
-CDA at Dental office: ~1035 hours
-CNA at nursing home: ~1036 hours

Research: none

Other Extracurriculars: manual dexterity talked about in my application was doing nails and working with acrylics and helping at the dental lab

Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools?
-Attended a Pre-Dental simulation clinic in April of 2022 at University Of Nebraska Medical Center

Relevant Honors or Awards:
-Dean’s List 4 semesters
-High Honor Graduate at Dental Assisting School
-2 Academic scholarships

LOR type and strength:
-3 professors (all very strong; Stats, Bio/Biochem, Dean of the science department/physiology)

Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:

School list:
-UMN
-UNMC (interview in a week)
-Iowa (deferred)
-Colorado
-MWU IL
-Creighton

I really would love to go to the U of M, my boyfriend is a Minnesota resident and I am looking to move there after dental school. I know my application list is quite short, but I really would like to stay in the Midwest.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Any input helps please.. I’m getting super anxious! Not sure where I stand.

Any input helps please.. I’m getting super anxious! Not sure where I stand.
your low DAT scores combined with the fact that you already dropped out of one professional program already are going to count against you
what is your GPA each year since you decided on dentistry?

Members don't see this ad :)
BCP GPA?

For your interview, know what you already wrote on your application. Pay attention to the culture of the school. Don't bank on going to D school with your SO, but opportunities after your training won't be an issue.

your low DAT scores combined with the fact that you already dropped out of one professional program already are going to count against you
what is your GPA each year since you decided on dentistry?

I believe that leaving the professional program after being in it for a bit to take up dental assisting school and graduating to further take the DANB and become certified isn’t necessarily a bad thing. My increasing GPA each semester of a 3.209, 3.297, 3.400, 3.455, 3.461, and 3.531 (beings that i got 4.00 in 4 out of the 6 semesters, with only 1 B in two of the semesters) show that I am dedicated to dentistry and becoming competitive for application. I made this a strong point on my personal statement. I also still have 2 semesters to finish yet with 4.0s as well to raise my GPA even more. The fact that I left nursing and pursued dentistry along with dedication of several factors (CDA, working, volunteering, GPA increase over 6 semesters, etc.) give me benefit of absolutely knowing this field is for me. I made this a strong point in my personal statement. Not everyone always knew they wanted to be a dentist. The dentist I worked for wanted to become a chiropractor and dentistry was his second option.

BCP GPA?

For your interview, know what you already wrote on your application. Pay attention to the culture of the school. Don't bank on going to D school with your SO, but opportunities after your training won't be an issue.

My BCP GPA is a 3.31, but I have not completed physics yet, I am taking it right now. Is this what you are talking about? Going to U of M would be ideal, but I’m definitely accepting whoever takes me first for sure. Thank you!

This is hard to believe, chiropractic school is miles easier to get into than dental school.
. Not everyone always knew they wanted to be a dentist. The dentist I worked for wanted to become a chiropractor and dentistry was his second option.

Status
Not open for further replies.