USC School of Dentistry Class of 2028 Interview/Acceptance Thread

Just FYI, I did my Kira assessment on 8/23, and got the in person II on 9/13! Hope that helps!

When you got the in person II, did you have multiple dates to choose from? Just wanted to ask since I planned some travel in October… and I read from other posts that, if we do well in Kira and get the in person II, then as long as we choose pre-December date, it’s fine

Members don't see this ad.

When you got the in person II, did you have multiple dates to choose from? Just wanted to ask since I planned some travel in October… and I read from other posts that, if we do well in Kira and get the in person II, then as long as we choose pre-December date, it’s fine
When I got the in person II they only offered two dates to choose from. You then called to confirm which date you wanted. One of them was a Thursday and one of them a Monday! I got the II on 9/13 and the dates were 9/21 and 10/2. If I had to guess I would say they're scheduling them in waves and only scheduling a couple dates at a time. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
got the invite today as well. Im wondering why so many people are saying they didnt expect the question they got...

Members don't see this ad :)
got the invite today as well. Im wondering why so many people are saying they didnt expect the question they got...
Last year, kira had 10-11 questions, most were ethical. I heard this year they only asked 1 question.

Just to be clear, USC kira is the mmi portion of the usual interview and the in-person is just pbl?

Received an invite for the in-person PBL session today!

*For reference: I completed my Kira assessment on 9/6 and received an II 9/19

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I just took my Kira assessment and feel worried about how I did...anyone else in the same boat lol. Hoping they won't weigh it out too much when they decide to screen applicants

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I just took my Kira assessment and feel worried about how I did...anyone else in the same boat lol. Hoping they won't weigh it out too much when they decide to screen applicants
I feel the same....feeling totally lost when answering the questions....

Received an interview invite 9.20! For reference I completed kira 9.7, 3.8 gpa 24 dat. I wonder is kira included in their interview process? Like can I forget about how bad I did it as I already got an invite, or will it still matter in their review process lol

Received an interview invite 9.20! For reference I completed kira 9.7, 3.8 gpa 24 dat. I wonder is kira included in their interview process? Like can I forget about how bad I did it as I already got an invite, or will it still matter in their review process lol
Usually, everything is considered but the interview is, I would argue, a very crucial step. Generally, once you get an interview, it's a level playing field, stats don't necessarily matter then. Kira is kind of a way for them to sort through applicants and 'pre-screen' them before extending an interview. So you passed that screening, even if you felt you did poorly.

Congrats on the interview! Good luck!

Interview #3
School:
USC
Notification date:
9/19
Method of notification: Email
Residency: OOS
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/25
Application complete date: 7/30
GPA: sGPA: 3.65; Overall: 3.70
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21 AA, 21 TS, 20 PAT, 22 RC, No
Method of interview: In-Person

Received Kira on 9/5

Reactions: 1 users
Usually, everything is considered but the interview is, I would argue, a very crucial step. Generally, once you get an interview, it's a level playing field, stats don't necessarily matter then. Kira is kind of a way for them to sort through applicants and 'pre-screen' them before extending an interview. So you passed that screening, even if you felt you did poorly.

Congrats on the interview! Good luck!
omg thank you so much for answering

Got a kira invite, submitted 9/13

Members don't see this ad :)
should I be worried if I did my Kira on 9/7 and havent heard back? my stats are 3.6 gpa and 24 dat. I volunteer w usc dental every week and don't think I did that terrible on Kira :(

should I be worried if I did my Kira on 9/7 and havent heard back? my stats are 3.6 gpa and 24 dat. I volunteer w usc dental every week and don't think I did that terrible on Kira :(
I haven’t heard back either 😔 hang in there

trust the process...

I did Kira on 9/7 and received the in-person interview today (9/26)!

Reactions: 2 users
haha I got the invite today! stressed 1 day too early

What is Kira exactly? what kind of questions did you have and how long did it last? please help!
Kira is just an assessment that schools are now using. Think Casper but for Kira the questions come directly from the faculty and you’re basically given some prep time to think about them and then a minute or two to answer. Your answer is recorded and sent to the committee so they can better gauge your ability to think on your feet. It is meant to provide some insight into you as an applicant before they actually extend you an invite for an interview.

As for the specifics/questions, we all signed an NDA so can’t really comment on that. Know your application and experiences and trust the process (macsak have I made you proud yet?) Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Kira is just an assessment that schools are now using. Think Casper but for Kira the questions come directly from the faculty and you’re basically given some prep time to think about them and then a minute or two to answer. Your answer is recorded and sent to the committee so they can better gauge your ability to think on your feet. It is meant to provide some insight into you as an applicant before they actually extend you an invite for an interview.

As for the specifics/questions, we all signed an NDA so can’t really comment on that. Know your application and experiences and trust the process (macsak have I made you proud yet?) Good luck!
would you say it was more ethical based or personal? Thank you for the explaining!!

would you say it was USC related or dentistry focused or more of an ethical question?
ima avoid saying anything about it but you don't need to worry, its just 1 question and you have a 2 min prep time you'll be fine!

Reactions: 1 user
ima avoid saying anything about it but you don't need to worry, its just 1 question and you have a 2 min prep time you'll be fine!
Why are people saying it was a question they did not expect😭

Why are people saying it was a question they did not expect😭
I can second that! Can't reveal anything either, but I promise, it's nothing to worry about, just be yourself and you’ll be perfect. Good luck!

Last edited:
Current USC dental student here - I'm involved with helping out with the admissions process. Just wanted to address some FAQs I've been seeing:

1. This year, the Kira assessment is part of the initial application to qualify a candidate for an in-person interview invite. This means that everyone who applies is asked for a Kira submission. The in-person interview invites are extended only to a select group of applicants.

2. The in-person interview will be your PBL interview. You'll then sit through a number of presentations about the school, financial aid, etc., followed by lunch with student ambassadors, then a tour of the dental school. You'll probably be tired after finishing the interviews, but do your best to stay engaged during the lunch and tour - the admissions office asked us to report back the names of applicants who stood out (both in a positive and negative way).

3. Interviews are held on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Current USC dental student here - I'm involved with helping out with the admissions process. Just wanted to address some FAQs I've been seeing:

1. This year, the Kira assessment is part of the initial application to qualify a candidate for an in-person interview invite. This means that everyone who applies is asked for a Kira submission. The in-person interview invites are extended only to a select group of applicants.

2. The in-person interview will be your PBL interview. You'll then sit through a number of presentations about the school, financial aid, etc., followed by lunch with student ambassadors, then a tour of the dental school. You'll probably be tired after finishing the interviews, but do your best to stay engaged during the lunch and tour - the admissions office asked us to report back the names of applicants who stood out (both in a positive and negative way).

From Trojan to Trojan, you are blessed 🙏 thank you for this breakdown and set of clarifications

Hi, thank you so much for this! I applied to USC but I have NOT received a Kira invitation yet so I assumed it was for applicants they are interested in :( Would I get an email if I'm supposed to get a Kira submission soon? Thank you in advanced.

Is it worth applying to USC this late in the cycle? I've already applied to 12 schools but I realized that USC is a school I would also want to go to.

Is it worth applying to USC this late in the cycle? I've already applied to 12 schools but I realized that USC is a school I would also want to go to.
Never hurts! It is definitely a bit late in the cycle, but you never know, and if you have good credentials and a strong PS, I would say go for it

Interview #2
Notification date: 10/2
Residency: International, Canada
AADSAS mail-out date: mid-July
GPA (science, overall): sGPA: 3.94 Overall: 3.95
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24 AA, 23TS, 22PAT, No
Method of interview: in person
Interview date: 10/16

Interview #2
Notification date: 10/2