Transgender Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yams_

BBA - Marketing, seeking DMD
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay I have an AADSAS question as a transgender applicant. The questions asked on the application regarding sex/gender/gender identity are:
1) Biological Sex
2) Gender Identity

Answering both questions truthfully, my biological sex is female and my gender identity is a man. But all of my government IDs (social security, driver's license, passport, etc.) have been updated to say my correct gender, male. The only documentation that has not been updated is my birth certificate because, in my birth state, my gender cannot be changed there yet.

I did not foresee any problems here... but I looked at the applications on the schools end and they all say "Sex: Female"... which is incorrect. I believe the oversight is that the application fails to ask for 3) Legal Sex... is this going to be a problem? Has anyone else dealt with this?

Members don't see this ad.

I would call AADSAS and ask them directly

If they say Biological sex on AADSAS, then your biological sex is female.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If they say Biological sex on AADSAS, then your biological sex is female.
Yes, that's how I answered, it's just weird that it translates over to the application on the school's end as "Sex: Female" and feels misleading, is all. Especially given that this likely means I am considered to be a "female" applicant for statistics... meanwhile I am cis passing, have a full beard, male privilege, etc... 😅

I will reach out to the ADEA after my DAT probably. Their suggestion will likely be to put the option for not wanting to disclose... though I really don't think that should be the "solution" here.

Needless to say, they are still working on it. Ask for guidance on your question.
My plan was to reach out to the ADEA after my DAT, but in the meantime, I emailed the schools just to inform "hey... this is the situation and I feel shady the way it is appearing". To my surprise, CWRU (my local school) actually responded back almost immediately letting me know that they would reach out to the ADEA about the issue (I did NOT ask for or request this). So, things are already in motion. I'm not sure if any potential changes would be reflected until next cycle, but it was refreshing to see that this is not just a priority for myself. The other schools also noted it on my application and assured me that because I answered the questions as asked, there would not be any problems.

So... it's in the process of being addressed and every school was good about it, I just wanted to post on here in case anybody else is dealing with the same thing.

I will post again if I hear anything!! :)

Reactions: 1 user