The 2011-2012 Underdog Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you were set on applying to DO, you should have not retaking the MCAT; a 28 mcat is good for DO. You would be better off in working on your GPAs. Though, I think your chances are good for DO with your current stats.

The reason I retook the MCAT is my cousin and best friend passed away in a farming accident 3 weeks before my January test date. This made it very difficult for me to concentrate on studying and I elected to spend as much of those 3 weeks as possible with my family. I retook because I am fully confident that my original score does not reflect my ability and I anticipate that my new score from April will be 30+.

I already have everything on my application finished except my personal statement and I will be applying on June 1st.

Is it to my benefit to explain my unique situation in my personal statement? By this I mean, I had very little direction in life in my early college years. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life which made it very easy to lose site of the importance of exceptional grades.

Thank you for all the responses and feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am not just an underdog, but a super underdog. You can check my stats for last year in last years thread. It was my third cycle applying. I changed a few things between my second and third application years. Raised my MCAT score (only by two points), volunteered more, prayed more, and most importantly changed my personal statement. My first two cycles I received nothing but pre-interview holds… My third cycle I received 5 interview invites. Some things I picked up along the way (also mimicking the other underdogs that came before me) I would like to share with you.

~Apply broadly, but only places that you would WITHOUT A DOUBT go to if accepted.
For example, I spent time and money on applying to some schools that don’t consider at out of state applicants. Other schools I spent time and money on that I wouldn’t really want to attend, even if accepted. Spend your money wisely, this process is not for the faint of wallet, especially when you have to do it 3 times… lol

~ Make sure your personal statement is from the heart. Nobody wants a personal statement that is just a rehash of every other applicants’.

~ If by any means you are going to retake the MCAT, YOU STUDY MATERIALS DO MATTER. The first time I studied for the test I bought some off brand book. I was ill prepared for the test and my grad reflected that. When I retook the exam all I used was Kaplan. While I did better it was still poor (my current grade). I have been studying with the TBR books and EK 1001 books now (in case I wasn’t accepted) and am getting 27-31’s on my practice AAMC’s.

~You’re secondaries count. Believe me. I know if you are applying broadly sometimes you copy paste information, because it’s a good essay. But if a school asks “why them”, etc. Make a connection, why would you want to go there? What connects you to that school? Why would you drop any other school that accepts you to matriculate there (even if you wouldn’t…. use this through process to bring out that particular schools strengths and your connections to that school.)

~If you are invited to an interview, forget about your weaknesses. A school invites you to interview because they are genuinely interested in you. While there is a small chance that they might bring up it in the interview, most D.O. interviews will focus on finding out who you are not what you have done (MOST). This being said, bolster your confidence, look around in your group of interviewee’s, and say to yourself, “Self, I am as good or better than every applicant here” and go with that attitude.

~ Be on time. If you are in another state, know where you have to go before you get there. I have seen it. It was quite embarrassing.

~Don’t stress the night before. Just prepare for the interview by briefly looking over your personal statement, your secondaries, and maybe a CV. Also, DO CHECK OUT THE INTERVIEW QUESTIONS ON SDN, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE NOT THE FIRST INTERVIEW OF THE CYCLE. But don’t stress out over them.

~Eat breakfast. Falling asleep or being distracted in their presentation doesn’t show interest. Get a good breakfast in.

~If you have back to back interviews (and I speak from experience here) Reflect and learn but DO NOT DWELL on the previous interview. It is in the past and you need to put your best foot forward for the next one.

~Don’t be nervous during your interview. Seriously it may seem that these professionals are scary. But really the basis of the interview is fellow professionals seeing if they would like you to be their collage one day. Show them who you are, why you’re there, and why medicine is your future.

~ALWAYS ask for business cards from your interviewers or for some sort of contact and send thank you notes.

~Schools DO read SDN… Believe me, it’s not a myth. If there is any way they can connect you to some derogatory post, you are hurting your chances.

~If you do get waitlisted NEVER GIVE UP HOPE… and this is where my story comes in. I was waitlisted at my top choice schools. Waitlists are NOT a bad thing. It means they like you but just want to see what is out there. I sent an update once a month with new volunteer activities, experiences, etc. One of the reasons I was pulled off was because over the course of these emails, the faculty got to know me better and saw that my heart was in the right place.

~Above all else…. Realize that if you want to be a doctor, there is a way. There always is a way. Never give up that dream.

Good luck underdogs, I’ll be rooting for you between my classes this year. J

~If you are invited to an interview, forget about your weaknesses. A school invites you to interview because they are genuinely interested in you. While there is a small chance that they might bring up it in the interview, most D.O. interviews will focus on finding out who you are not what you have done (MOST). This being said, bolster your confidence, look around in your group of interviewee’s, and say to yourself, “Self, I am as good or better than every applicant here” and go with that attitude.

This right here is the single best piece of advice anyone could give!

You 2011/2012 underdogs know everything you need to know to be successful now! Don't sweat your weaknesses, and focus on your strengths. The schools that will interview you certainly have!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone make a spreadsheet for the 2011-2012 underdog just as they did for the previous one (2010-2011)?

Can someone make a spreadsheet for the 2011-2012 underdog just as they did for the previous one (2010-2011)?

Yes sir, we are going to. I already have someone who volunteered to do it. Once people can start getting verified and posting their stats, we will get one made and posted up! :thumbup:

Hello everyone! First of all, I'd like to thank everyone in this thread. I found the underdog thread (from both years) to be quite helpful, and not only for morale!

I'm looking for a little bit of realistic advice on my application statistics. They are as follows:

ksmajmudar - 3.27 cGPA, 3.06 sGPA, 32Q MCAT

I didn't do so hot in my GPA in my first year (and unfortunately, one semester my junior year). Realized that I needed to get serious and got 3.9 GPA's both semesters senior year with science-heavy course-loads (systems physiology, microbiology, advanced cell biology, genetics, pharmacology).

ECs:
10-day shadowing in Dallas Trauma Center ER (12 hour shifts x 10 days = 120 hours)
EMT for a year and a half between high school and college
6-week shadowing of orthopedic surgeon
Research in pharmacology (presented work at 105th international statistical mechanics conference)
Tons of leadership in a philanthropy-based fraternity

Thoughts? Critiques? Places I should apply to? (I'm a NJ resident, so UMDNJ-SOM is obviously top pick for me)

Thank you!

Hello everyone! First of all, I'd like to thank everyone in this thread. I found the underdog thread (from both years) to be quite helpful, and not only for morale!

I'm looking for a little bit of realistic advice on my application statistics. They are as follows:

ksmajmudar - 3.27 cGPA, 3.06 sGPA, 32Q MCAT

I didn't do so hot in my GPA in my first year (and unfortunately, one semester my junior year). Realized that I needed to get serious and got 3.9 GPA's both semesters senior year with science-heavy course-loads (systems physiology, microbiology, advanced cell biology, genetics, pharmacology).

ECs:
10-day shadowing in Dallas Trauma Center ER (12 hour shifts x 10 days = 120 hours)
EMT for a year and a half between high school and college
6-week shadowing of orthopedic surgeon
Research in pharmacology (presented work at 105th international statistical mechanics conference)
Tons of leadership in a philanthropy-based fraternity

Thoughts? Critiques? Places I should apply to? (I'm a NJ resident, so UMDNJ-SOM is obviously top pick for me)

Thank you!

I can certainly say that stat wise, we are very similar and that includes your upward trend. I also took a heavy science load junior and senior year, and got same GPA. You seem to have good ECs as well (I had a lot more, but I dont think my extra ECs made too much of a difference). Haha interestingly enough, I did a ton of research in pharmacology too

Anyway, I got interviewed (in December) at two schools and got acceptances to both. If I was American (im Canadian), I probably would have gotten more interviews. So basically you are good to go and I think you will be fine....as long as you APPLY EARLY. I had my primary completed at end of July/early August.

Good luck with UMDNJ-SOM if its your top choice, I hear nothing but good things. I wish I could have applied to that school (have to be american).

I can certainly say that stat wise, we are very similar and that includes your upward trend. I also took a heavy science load junior and senior year, and got same GPA. You seem to have good ECs as well (I had a lot more, but I dont think my extra ECs made too much of a difference). Haha interestingly enough, I did a ton of research in pharmacology too

Anyway, I got interviewed (in December) at two schools and got acceptances to both. If I was American (im Canadian), I probably would have gotten more interviews. So basically you are good to go and I think you will be fine....as long as you APPLY EARLY. I had my primary completed at end of July/early August.

Good luck with UMDNJ-SOM if its your top choice, I hear nothing but good things. I wish I could have applied to that school (have to be american).

I agree, with a 32 MCAT and a 3.9 in their last two semesters with a heavy science load, they should be in good shape.

*I'm also rooting for the Canucks :thumbup:
You guys deserve one after we took it from you in '94 :D

I agree, with a 32 MCAT and a 3.9 in their last two semesters with a heavy science load, they should be in good shape.

*I'm also rooting for the Canucks :thumbup:
You guys deserve one after we took it from you in '94 :D

haha a Rangers fan! I would rather lose to the Rangers than MANY teams in the NHL. Boston would not be an acceptable loss :laugh:

Definitely feeling like an underdog here, especially after getting my 4/29/11 MCAT scores back today.

I'd appreciate any advice I can get.

sGPA 3.23
cGPA 3.37
MCAT 30T
BBA in Management

ECs:
-Three years full-time work as a paramedic for a busy 911 system
-2,400+ hours volunteering in various campus-based EMS agencies
-Advisor for a high school program for kids interested in EMS careers (volunteer position)
-Preceptor for paramedic students at my current place of employment.
-Shadowed an ED MD and DO osteopathic surgeon for 100 and 20 hours, respectively.

LORs from 2 science faculty, the ED MD who is also my associate medical director, and a former EMS supervisor/close friend of 7 years. Plan on getting a DO LOR as well in the next month or two.

DO Schools I've *already* applied to (as of 6/1/110):
TCOM, AZCOM, VCOM, KCUMB, LECOM-E, LECOM-B, Nova, PCOM, RVU, UNE

Last edited:
Definite underdog here, especially after getting my 4/29/11 MCAT scores back today.

I'd appreciate any advice I can get.

cGPA 3.23
sGPA 3.37
MCAT 30T
BBA in Management

ECs:
-Three years full-time work as a paramedic for a busy 911 system
-2,400+ hours volunteering in various campus-based EMS agencies
-Advisor for high school program for kids interested in EMS careers (volunteer position)
-Preceptor for paramedic students at my current place of employment.
-Shadowed an ED MD and DO osteopathic surgeon for 100 and 20 hours, respectively.

LORs from 2 science faculty, the ED MD who is also my associate medical director, and a former EMS supervisor/close friend of 7 years. Plan on getting a DO LOR as well in the next month or two.

DO Schools I've *already* applied to (as of 6/1/110):
TCOM, AZCOM, VCOM, KCUMB, LECOM-E, LECOM-B, Nova, PCOM, RVU, UNE

Are you for real? Is that a joke?

Hi everyone,

I graduated with a BS in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology this May and will be applying to DO schools in the next few weeks. I didn't even consider going to medical school until summer 2010 so I'm hoping my lack of direction earlier in my college career (and resulting grades) won't hurt me too bad during the application process.

My stats are:

January MCAT = Q writing - 11 VR - 10 Bio - 7 PS, I retook the MCAT on 4/29 to bring up my PS score and am still waiting for the scores to be released.

cGPA - 3.03 (EDIT)
sGPA - 3.08 (EDIT)

I have about 250 volunteer hours working with patients in the ER of a local hospital and I was a college athlete.

Wish me luck!

I got my new MCAT score today from my April 29th test date and it was --> Q writing - 10 VR - 11 Bio - 9 PS

I was hoping to bring my PS score up more than that but I guess I should be happy that I improved both overall and in my PS section!

My applications will be done and going in on Friday, June 3rd.

UNDERDOG!

MCAT: 27Q (10PS, 9BS, 8V) [RETAKING END OF JULY]
3.35 cGPA
3.26 sGPA

Upward trend last 4 quarters: 3.5, 3.7, 3.9, 3.9 (all with at least 4 science classes)

240 Hours Community Hospital Volunteering (CCE)
50 Hours shadowing 3 different MD's (WISH I COULD FIND A DO)
3.5 years Environmental Toxicology Research
200 Hours Online Cancer Research / Team leading

Applied to: Touro-CA, Western- Pomona, Touro- NV, Western- Lebanon, Chicago, NJ, PCOM, AZCOM, A.T. Still, Pacific Northwest University,

Should I apply to more? I'd really really like to stay west coast...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
OK fair enough. I was just a bit disappointed because I was averaging 33.75 over my last four practice AAMC tests. The last two I took, I got 35's.

Uhh I see. 30 is above average, although not by much

I got my new MCAT score today from my April 29th test date and it was --> Q writing - 10 VR - 11 Bio - 9 PS

I was hoping to bring my PS score up more than that but I guess I should be happy that I improved both overall and in my PS section!

My applications will be done and going in on Friday, June 3rd.

IMO, you are not an underdog dude. Unless your GPA is really bad, a 30 will get you in somewhere. You don't have a bad GPA. Nice job on the MCAT, though.

UNDERDOG!

MCAT: 27Q (10PS, 9BS, 8V) [RETAKING END OF JULY]
3.35 cGPA
3.26 sGPA

Upward trend last 4 quarters: 3.5, 3.7, 3.9, 3.9 (all with at least 4 science classes)

240 Hours Community Hospital Volunteering (CCE)
50 Hours shadowing 3 different MD's (WISH I COULD FIND A DO)
3.5 years Environmental Toxicology Research
200 Hours Online Cancer Research / Team leading

Applied to: Touro-CA, Western- Pomona, Touro- NV, Western- Lebanon, Chicago, NJ, PCOM, AZCOM, A.T. Still, Pacific Northwest University,

Should I apply to more? I'd really really like to stay west coast...

Your MCAT is pretty solid for DO schools and IMO I think that assuming you interview well, you will have a few choices.

Ok underdogs... I got my MCAT today. Not good at all. I definitely fit the "underdog" criteria! I will prob be retaking it in July. I figured I might have to. But I will still be applying anyway and updating it with my new MCAT later. My stats....

cGPA: 3.37
sGPA: 3.03
LOTS of EC's, Volunteering, Shadowing, Work and Leadership experience
Good LOR's including a letter from my University President
Got my MCAT back today...: 21 (7P,9V,5B) I have no idea what happened with the Bio section :(. Oh well, in the true underdog fashion I will study my butt off and hopefully do better next time! (Taking the MCAT while also taking 18 credit hours and having a couple jobs was a bad idea)

I should add, I am an underdog, my UG GPA ~3.0... but I have a 3.8+ on PB UG work @79 credits... Sooo... here's to hoping my MCAT is at least a 27 after 12 years out of school!

Ok underdogs... I got my MCAT today. Not good at all. I definitely fit the "underdog" criteria! I will prob be retaking it in July. I figured I might have to. But I will still be applying anyway and updating it with my new MCAT later. My stats....

Got my MCAT back today...: 21 (7P,9V,5B) I have no idea what happened with the Bio section :(. Oh well, in the true underdog fashion I will study my butt off and hopefully do better next time! (Taking the MCAT while also taking 18 credit hours and having a couple jobs was a bad idea)
Good luck DJack! I'm pulling for all you guys! Hopefully, you can reciprocate some of that love for me in 2013 lol:D

Your MCAT is pretty solid for DO schools and IMO I think that assuming you interview well, you will have a few choices.

thanks! :) Always nice to have someone give you some reassurance.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I wanted to add my own story because I've been following the old thread during the difficult times... And now that I made it, nobody will ever give a $hit about my undergrad GPA ever again!!!!!!!!!

I graduated from a UC with a 2.5 GPA (AMCAS' calculation) and a degree in Engineering. I worked at a well known company for 2 years as an Applications Engineer before deciding to pursue medicine. I went back to my UC to do a post bac and got just above a 3.6 for 1.5 years of full time coursework that pulled my GPA to around a 3.1 using AACOMAS' calculation. I also took 6 months to volunteer at a hospital abroad. I got a 30 on the MCAT. I made sure to get good LOR's from my previous employer, post bac professors, and I worked like crazy on my personal statement and secondaries.

I applied broadly and got interviews at MD and DO schools in California and around the country. I got in to several DO schools and ended up choosing Western University.

My advice to anyone reading this: You all have it in you, just follow your intuition, your passion, and work hard. Also make a deal with yourself that if you get below a certain GPA during your postbac, you'll drop out. it's a great way to keep the seriousness up during difficult moments. Seriously, make a deal with yourself that you'll either study like an A student or you'll quit and go back to your old (or future) lame-ass office job. IF you slay the demons that caused your GPA in the first place, I firmly believe that us underdogs will use our experience to become better, more professional physicians.

To all the underdogs reading this thread: You guys are all rockstars! To be pursuing this dream despite a previous setback..... This is the very definition of the persistance that the adcoms are looking for. Kick some ass on your classes/MCAT's and I'll see you all on rounds sometime in the future!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I wanted to add my own story because I've been following the old thread during the difficult times... And now that I made it, nobody will ever give a $hit about my undergrad GPA ever again!!!!!!!!!

I graduated from a UC with a 2.5 GPA (AMCAS' calculation) and a degree in Engineering. I worked at a well known company for 2 years as an Applications Engineer before deciding to pursue medicine. I went back to my UC to do a post bac and got just above a 3.6 for 1.5 years of full time coursework that pulled my GPA to around a 3.1 using AACOMAS' calculation. I also took 6 months to volunteer at a hospital abroad. I got a 30 on the MCAT. I made sure to get good LOR's from my previous employer, post bac professors, and I worked like crazy on my personal statement and secondaries.

I applied broadly and got interviews at MD and DO schools in California and around the country. I got in to several DO schools and ended up choosing Western University.

My advice to anyone reading this: You all have it in you, just follow your intuition, your passion, and work hard. Also make a deal with yourself that if you get below a certain GPA during your postbac, you'll drop out. it's a great way to keep the seriousness up during difficult moments. Seriously, make a deal with yourself that you'll either study like an A student or you'll quit and go back to your old (or future) lame-ass office job. IF you slay the demons that caused your GPA in the first place, I firmly believe that us underdogs will use our experience to become better, more professional physicians.

To all the underdogs reading this thread: You guys are all rockstars! To be pursuing this dream despite a previous setback..... This is the very definition of the persistance that the adcoms are looking for. Kick some ass on your classes/MCAT's and I'll see you all on rounds sometime in the future!

Congratulations! Great job, and this part really hit home with me, as I had a tedious office job that didn't offer me the satisfaction I get when helping people.

Don't get discouraged DJack. Same thing happened to me. I took the MCAT the first time right at the end of my senior year when I was trying to finish up senior projects, find a job, study for my athletic training certification exam, and working part time. I ended up getting a 22. I got my scores yesterday for my retake after studying for 4 months (still working full-time, but no classes) and got a balanced 30. Just study your butt off the next couple months and retake and I'm sure you will do great. Good luck.

previous underdog from last year, currently waitlisted but I did submit my primary to five schools this mourning. 3.3 sci 25 mcat (26 if you take the best from each sections.) My senior year in college I pulles a 3.5 taking 42 credit hours of sciences. Since graduating I have been working part time and going to school part time, taking two classes each semester. I have done that the past two years and have taken 30 credit hours over the last 2 years at a 4.0 and that included taking upper level courses such as biochem and also retaking into level courses and prereq's. So heres to going at it again this app cycle. good luck everyone

Last edited:
previous underdog from last year, currently waitlisted but I did submit my primary to five schools this mourning. 3.3 sci 25 mcat (26 if you take the best from each sections.) My senior year in college I pulles a 3.5 taking 42 credit hours of sciences. Since graduating I have been working part time and going to school part time, taking two classes each semester. I have done that the past two years and have taken 30 credit hours over the last 4 years at a 4.0 and that included taking upper level courses such as biochem and also retaking into level courses and prereq's. So heres to going at it again this app cycle. good luck everyone

I'm really pulling for you Dr Yiot. Your stats + EC's HAVE to get you in somewhere. Hopefully you'll have your choice between a few schools.

Any underdogs who feel like they need some help on their PS feel free to PM me. I've already critiqued two people so far and I have some time if anyone else needs help. I'll be out of commission once school starts though, as long as you ask me before then, you'll be in good shape.

I'm really pulling for you Dr Yiot. Your stats + EC's HAVE to get you in somewhere. Hopefully you'll have your choice between a few schools.

Any underdogs who feel like they need some help on their PS feel free to PM me. I've already critiqued two people so far and I have some time if anyone else needs help. I'll be out of commission once school starts though, as long as you ask me before then, you'll be in good shape.
just hearing you say that ill hopefully have a choice between a few schools ran chills down my spine. lol i cant even imagine that. i don't know what its like to be accepted to one school but if i got accepted to 2 i don't know what I would do, that would be insane!. thanks for the support man and good luck at LECOM this year! just from the work youve put into the information youve gathered on this site i know youll kill it in med school

previous underdog from last year, currently waitlisted but I did submit my primary to five schools this mourning. 3.3 sci 25 mcat (26 if you take the best from each sections.) My senior year in college I pulles a 3.5 taking 42 credit hours of sciences. Since graduating I have been working part time and going to school part time, taking two classes each semester. I have done that the past two years and have taken 30 credit hours over the last 2 years at a 4.0 and that included taking upper level courses such as biochem and also retaking into level courses and prereq's. So heres to going at it again this app cycle. good luck everyone

I was pulling for you over this last year and it seems like your application has gotten stronger in that short period alone. With your improvements and reapplication, I think your dedication to medicine is going to shine through. This is your year. Good luck sir.

I just want to say thank you to those of you who provided me feedback on the old underdog thread. I am happy to say that I was recently accepted to Creighton. All of you underdogs keep your heads up and work hard and everything will work out. Good luck!

I finally got to check this thread after working over 70 hours since Sunday! Glad to see that people are checking it more often. Ok, here is some stuff:

It is after June 1st! I will now start posting scores on the first page. I will post mine up as an example.

Do not be shy or embarrassed about posting your scores if you are an underdog!! So many people got help from last year's thread (including myself!), so please be honest and be encouraging.

If you are going to post your scores, please post your scores like this:

SDN Name: cGPA, sGPA, MCAT.

On the GPA's, go to two decimals if possible.

example.
DJack: 3.37, 3.03, 21

We already have a volunteer who will be making spreadsheets! More info to come once we get more scores up :thumbup:

I know I have said this stuff before, but it is a big help by posting this way. Best of luck all!

mulalrticth - 3.03 cGPA, 3.08 sGPA, 30Q

Applied on June 3rd to:

AT Still in Az, ACOM of Midwestern, CCOM of Midwestern, Des Moines University COM, MSUCOM, NSUCOM, OSUCOM, RVCOM, Touro COM in NY, Touro COM in NV, U of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey COM, WVSOM, Western University of Health Sciences COM in CA, LECOM in Bradenton.

I'm still waitlisted and reapplied June 1/11. (DO)

3.7, 3.73, 25 included a lot more schools and all "Canadian friendly" DO schools.
Clinical experience as a DDS is 9 years now :/
I also took the MCAT after 15 years away from undergrad.

Front page updated!

luvofgod: 3.49, 3.25, 30

I don't really think you are an underdog. Anyone with a 3.5 and a 30 has a good shot of getting into most schools.

barneye87 - 3.21 cGPA, 3.00 sGPA, 32R

I don't think you are much of an underdog either. I know schools will love that 32 MCAT.

I still put both of your scores up because the GPA's are a tad low. Best of luck! :luck:

Woah really...I'm feeling a bit left out now...not even my science gpa?

You are fine, you are just an insecure pre-med. Unless you are socially ******ed your stats should get you far into the admissions process

Yeah man I agree. If you apply interview well and have good ECs, you will be fine. You should be happy to not be an underdog though! haha

Woah really...I'm feeling a bit left out now...not even my science gpa?
3.3 is the sGPA average at DO programs, so while you are under it, you are still close enough to where it doesn't matter.

I think some of you "underdogs" from this year need to look at the first page of last years thread. It has a listing of underdogs (with scores) and a formula hocdoc and others used to see if you "qualified" for being an underdog.

a la:

2) Thanks to DrDre2001 we have a rough analysis of gauging your Underdog status.

Formula:
MCAT/2 + sGPA*10 = Applicant Score

(The "sGPA" here is your science GPA)

The average applicant (according to the 2009 matriculant data: 25.49 MCAT, 3.25sGPA) will then have their "applicant score" as 45.25, as per the formula: (25.49/2) + (3.25*10) = 45.25

The average matriculant (according to the 2009 matriculant data: 26.19 MCAT, 3.35sGPA) will then have their "applicant score" as 46.60, as per the formula: (26.19/2) + (3.35*10) = 46.60

Well I have a 47.8 but I still am an underdog lol

Hey guys, So I decided to apply early to the DO schools. Roughly will be apply to about 14 schools, my primary application is done and all i have to do is submit the application on June 10. I got the fee waiver too. So i wanted to get some advice. My MCAT is low, All 7's, a total of 21P. But my GPA is high. Science GPA of 3.75 and Cumlative GPA of 3.74. I wanted to hear if applying early will give me success and an opportunity. Thanks, would appreciate feedback of other people who succeeded with smilar marks in the past. Thanks so much guys.

I am not just an underdog, but a super underdog. You can check my stats for last year in last years thread. It was my third cycle applying. I changed a few things between my second and third application years. Raised my MCAT score (only by two points), volunteered more, prayed more, and most importantly changed my personal statement. My first two cycles I received nothing but pre-interview holds… My third cycle I received 5 interview invites. Some things I picked up along the way (also mimicking the other underdogs that came before me) I would like to share with you.

~Apply broadly, but only places that you would WITHOUT A DOUBT go to if accepted.
For example, I spent time and money on applying to some schools that don’t consider at out of state applicants. Other schools I spent time and money on that I wouldn’t really want to attend, even if accepted. Spend your money wisely, this process is not for the faint of wallet, especially when you have to do it 3 times… lol

~ Make sure your personal statement is from the heart. Nobody wants a personal statement that is just a rehash of every other applicants’.

~ If by any means you are going to retake the MCAT, YOU STUDY MATERIALS DO MATTER. The first time I studied for the test I bought some off brand book. I was ill prepared for the test and my grad reflected that. When I retook the exam all I used was Kaplan. While I did better it was still poor (my current grade). I have been studying with the TBR books and EK 1001 books now (in case I wasn’t accepted) and am getting 27-31’s on my practice AAMC’s.

~You’re secondaries count. Believe me. I know if you are applying broadly sometimes you copy paste information, because it’s a good essay. But if a school asks “why them”, etc. Make a connection, why would you want to go there? What connects you to that school? Why would you drop any other school that accepts you to matriculate there (even if you wouldn’t…. use this through process to bring out that particular schools strengths and your connections to that school.)

~ Be on time. If you are in another state, know where you have to go before you get there. I have seen it. It was quite embarrassing.

~Don’t stress the night before. Just prepare for the interview by briefly looking over your personal statement, your secondaries, and maybe a CV. Also, DO CHECK OUT THE INTERVIEW QUESTIONS ON SDN, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE NOT THE FIRST INTERVIEW OF THE CYCLE. But don’t stress out over them.

~Eat breakfast. Falling asleep or being distracted in their presentation doesn’t show interest. Get a good breakfast in.

~If you have back to back interviews (and I speak from experience here) Reflect and learn but DO NOT DWELL on the previous interview. It is in the past and you need to put your best foot forward for the next one.

~Don’t be nervous during your interview. Seriously it may seem that these professionals are scary. But really the basis of the interview is fellow professionals seeing if they would like you to be their collage one day. Show them who you are, why you’re there, and why medicine is your future.

~ALWAYS ask for business cards from your interviewers or for some sort of contact and send thank you notes.

~Schools DO read SDN… Believe me, it’s not a myth. If there is any way they can connect you to some derogatory post, you are hurting your chances.

~If you do get waitlisted NEVER GIVE UP HOPE… and this is where my story comes in. I was waitlisted at my top choice schools. Waitlists are NOT a bad thing. It means they like you but just want to see what is out there. I sent an update once a month with new volunteer activities, experiences, etc. One of the reasons I was pulled off was because over the course of these emails, the faculty got to know me better and saw that my heart was in the right place.

~Above all else…. Realize that if you want to be a doctor, there is a way. There always is a way. Never give up that dream.

Good luck underdogs, I’ll be rooting for you between my classes this year. J
JAMES your story is INSANE man. i had no idea you had a backstory this strong. its inspiring. congratulations man!
I was pulling for you over this last year and it seems like your application has gotten stronger in that short period alone. With your improvements and reapplication, I think your dedication to medicine is going to shine through. This is your year. Good luck sir.
thanks so much man. i really hope so
:thumbup:Me as well. Im hoping you score something ridiculous like 5
acceptances
that would be insane!

carp56: 3.51, 4.0, 27k

gpa has been helped a lot by aacomas

tmdsas has me at 3.31 and 3.5

mcat is unbalanced 11p10b6v don't know what happened on vr all practice
test 8+

8 yr exp as emt in the Army

4yr exp in cardiac cath lab

acls instructor

most volunteering and leadership is all through the Army

degree and final pre reqs will be finished next spring 44 more hrs

applying to ATS-SOMA, AZCOM, RVUSOM, OSUCOM, PCOM-GA, LECOM-B, NOVA, TCOM and TX MD TTHSC, TTPLFSOM, TAMHSC, Houston, Galveston

I don't think you are an underdog, which is a good thing! 3.51 and 27 is competitive at most schools. Best of luck to you!