Rabies Vaccine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thenontraveler

Reaction score
I am looking into how to get the rabies vaccine before I start school in August. What have you all done to be able to get it? It is very expensive!

Members don't see this ad.

I am getting mine through my job as a vet assistant. some insurances may cover it though. especially if you plan on getting health insurance through the vet school there's a chance they may cover it.

Yup very expensive unfortunately. I paid $410 for each shot and got 2 one week apart. They gave me all the documents to try to submit to insurance though incase they cover it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately I had to pay out of pocket, even being on the school's insurance. Lame sauce.

I got mine at Walgreens and somehow it was covered even though my insurance previously had said they wouldn’t cover it. Not sure what magic Walgreens worked, but it *was* billed out as pre-exposure, not post-exposure. I would definitely call your insurance and ask about it though and see if they’d cover it for high risk people.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Has anyone used the AVMA insurance that supposedly helps cover it? I can't find a lot of info on it, but wasn't sure do that is a good way to go.

Forced my job to pay for it like a boss (I’m poor).
Edit for context: I worked at a shelter, so like a lot of unvaccinated animals and did rabies testing, so I demanded it.

Reactions: 1 users
I was told I could get through urgent care near me and my health insurance would cover it
If it’s through school, but if it’s for work. I’d have to pay OOP.

Years ago I was able to get through the dept of health and it was less $.

Life hack just get bit by a wild animal and go for the post-bite series and get it paid for by insurance 😂
*this is a joke and not real advice

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Life hack just get bit by a wild animal and go for the post-bite series and get it paid for by insurance 😂
*this is a joke and not real advice
I know someone who kinda did this 😬 would Not recommend lol the hospital bill was insaneeeee

Got mine paid for through work since I rehabilitate bats, but many of my future classmates have gone through their insurances to get coverage - mixed bag of insurance covering and those having to pay up front first

My insurance did pay for my pre-exposure but I was on my mom's health insurance, and she is a doctor working for the clinic I was at. I'd definitely call your insurance to see what your options are

I manage a vet clinic and wanted to share that our employee handbook states:

"Rabies vaccines are covered for subscribers under our medical insurance, when requested by the employee and recieved as part of a doctors office visit. The vaccine will NOT be covered if requested by employer, or as a result of a worker's comp incident".

We have Aetna as our insurance provider!

The vaccine will NOT be covered if requested by employer, or as a result of a worker's comp incident"
Excuse me. But what? I would 100% expect workman's comp and work insurance to cover a PEP for rabies if I'm bit by a neurological animal, especially if it comes back positive.

Yup, ass backwards... but isn't that how insurance always is?! 😑 Haha at that point they make workers comp pay it so should still be paid but definitely not by the main insurance!