Post-doc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolness

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is post-doc a requirement or is it optional? My professor once indicated that going through post-doc enhances your resume and experiences and gives you a better chance to get hired at companies. He said that post-doc could take many years to complete. How does one get into a post-doc program?

Members don't see this ad.

coolness said:
Is post-doc a requirement or is it optional? My professor once indicated that going through post-doc enhances your resume and experiences and gives you a better chance to get hired at companies. He said that post-doc could take many years to complete. How does one get into a post-doc program?

APPIC POSTDOC-NETWORK http://www.appic.org

Is it a requirement?

A FORMAL post-doc is optional BUT a post-doc year IS a requirement to qualify for licensing as a clinical psychologist.

Formal post-docs may be found announced at appic.org as well as at psyccareers.com

Some are APA accredited, most are not.

Will it help?

It will provide very structured supervision and facilitate opportunity for career advancement, especially in academic/hospital settings.

Length?

Some are for 1 year only, some are renewable for a second one, still others are 2-3 years from the beginning.

Cl psych only requires 1 year BUT neuropsych requires 2.

Applying?

See appic.org and/or psychcareers.com

My son, a neuropsychologist, is sitting here with me. He's just informed me that if a person is graduating after December 31, 2004, then they must comply with the "Houson Conference" guidelines in order to sit for the ABPP in Clinical Neuropsychology or the ABPdN (American Board of Pediatric Neuropsychology) board certification. These guidelines require a 2 year post-doc.