*****Official General Surgery Interview Invite/Rejection Thread 2012-2013*****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still have not heard from 15 school yet. Does anyone know if it is common practice for schools to just leave the applicants in limbo or if they will respond at some point. Thanks

I'm still waiting to hear from some programs I applied to. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Hawaii
University of Hawaii (11/11) - 1/12, 1/19

I contacted the programs I was really interested in about ten days ago. I got a few extra interviews at great places. I got rejections from a few places. Hit or miss, I suppose. I felt like they were either on the fence or ready to tell me no thanks.

I personally would rather know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious: do you mean that when you called these institutions some offered you an interview?

I'm like you, I'd rather just get a rejection than not hear anything...

UMichigan (11/13): 12/7, 12/12, 1/11, 1/16

Brigham rejection (11/13)

I contacted the programs I was really interested in about ten days ago. I got a few extra interviews at great places. I got rejections from a few places. Hit or miss, I suppose. I felt like they were either on the fence or ready to tell me no thanks.

I personally would rather know.

I'm curious: do you mean that when you called these institutions some offered you an interview?

I'm like you, I'd rather just get a rejection than not hear anything...

I'm also curious if these phone calls in November resulted in new interview offers. If so, I think PDs across the country will be cringing to read it, as it will inevitably lead to an even more overwhelming barrage of phone calls. I also want to make sure lomia is speaking of invitations for a categorical position.

The old rule of thumb was that while these phone calls won't hurt much, they usually don't help either.

I'm also curious if these phone calls in November resulted in new interview offers. If so, I think PDs across the country will be cringing to read it, as it will inevitably lead to an even more overwhelming barrage of phone calls. I also want to make sure lomia is speaking of invitations for a categorical position.

The old rule of thumb was that while these phone calls won't hurt much, they usually don't help either.
I think its just coincidental. I called 5 programs early last week to ask about the status of my application and reiterate my interest... All said "thanks for the call, we're still reviewing". Four of those sent out interview invites since I called. I got 2 rejections and 2 invites... I don't think my calls did anything aside from let me know that they were reviewing applications.

I think its just coincidental. I called 5 programs early last week to ask about the status of my application and reiterate my interest... All said "thanks for the call, we're still reviewing". Four of those sent out interview invites since I called. I got 2 rejections and 2 invites... I don't think my calls did anything aside from let me know that they were reviewing applications.
After some deliberation, I went with email. I emailed the programs that I was very interested in, stated that, and politely asked about the status of my application. In instances where I was going to be in the area, I noted that too.

I am applying for categorical positions. I got quite a few "we're still reviewing" responses, a few swift "no", and several yes replies. In one instance, the coordinator replied that there had been a cancellation and offered it to me.

In regards to whether or not it really did anything to make it more likely to be interviewed, I can't say. Maybe it was coincidence. Maybe it helped, I doubt that it hurt.

In the end it gave me a better gauge of whether or not I needed to sweat.

Can any one switch either of these interviews? Message me if you could, would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Brigham - I have 12/8 and would like 1/5
Or
Duke - I have 12/8 and would like 1/18.

Can anyone switch interview dates with me for Univ of Maryland? Mine is scheduled on 12/13 but would like to switch to 1/10.
or
Can anyone switch interview dates for UAB? I have mine scheduled on 12/13 but would like to switch to 12/7.

Please PM me if anyone is interested. Thanks

Univ of South Alabama for the dec 7th, like to switch for dec 14th of jan 11th

Members don't see this ad :)
I have Dec 8th interview and would like to switch to Dec 2nd. PM me if interested.

I have an interview on January 18th at BU. Can anyone switch for the November 29th or December 5th date? Please PM me if you can.

Anyone heard anything from Rush. Its the last school I'm really waiting for.

Rush (11/7) - Saturday, November 17, 2012
Saturday, December 1, 2012
Saturday, December 8, 2012
Saturday, December 15, 2012
Saturday, January 12, 2013

Rush (11/7) - Saturday, November 17, 2012
Saturday, December 1, 2012
Saturday, December 8, 2012
Saturday, December 15, 2012
Saturday, January 12, 2013
Oh wow that's interesting that I was told otherwise by two different students as of last Sunday. Thanks for updating us with the dates! I definitely did not mean to mislead anyone.

Hi,
Anyone has an interview at UPMC and wants to switch dates with me?
My interview is on saturday December 8.
Any other date is fine with me?

Thank you

I have Beth Israel on Dec 12 and would like to switch to Jan 9. Please PM me if interested.

I need to switch UC Irvine dates. I have November 29 and I need either December 13 or January 10. Personal message me if you are willing to switch and I will pay airline fees or any extra compensation needed.

hey all - I know it's short notice, but if anyone can swap NYP Cornell dates, I have 12/8 and I'd really like 12/1. Please let me know if you're interested. Thanks!!

Can anyone switch the 11/30 Dartmouth interview date for 12/7 (aka. I have 12/7 and would prefer 11/30)? If so, please pm me. Thanks!

After some deliberation, I went with email. I emailed the programs that I was very interested in, stated that, and politely asked about the status of my application. In instances where I was going to be in the area, I noted that too.

I am applying for categorical positions. I got quite a few "we're still reviewing" responses, a few swift "no", and several yes replies. In one instance, the coordinator replied that there had been a cancellation and offered it to me.

In regards to whether or not it really did anything to make it more likely to be interviewed, I can't say. Maybe it was coincidence. Maybe it helped, I doubt that it hurt.

In the end it gave me a better gauge of whether or not I needed to sweat.

I did similar....at the prompting of my school (no home program) I called/emailed all the PCs at places I hadn't yet heard from, between yesterday and today. The result was 1 invite, 4 potentials (they were yet to review, noted my interest and asked for my 5th LOR) and a couple of "if slots open up" messages.

Overall, I'm glad I did it :)

I did similar....at the prompting of my school (no home program) I called/emailed all the PCs at places I hadn't yet heard from, between yesterday and today. The result was 1 invite, 4 potentials (they were yet to review, noted my interest and asked for my 5th LOR) and a couple of "if slots open up" messages.

Overall, I'm glad I did it :)

I did the same but did not get as lucky, basically just got 5/5 "we are full, we will let you know if anything happens" messages.

MA

St Agnes (11/21): 11/30, 1/7, 1/14, 1/18

Updated Dates for St. Agnes.

Anyone want to switch to January 8 for Indiana University? I'm looking for November 29, December 11, or December 13.

Anyone know what time the UMDNJ-RWJ interview is expected to end? The invite said "prepare to spend the majority of the day." I'm trying to make flight plans, and without more specific info, it's kind of tough. Thanks.

Anyone able to switch the 12/11 or 1/15 SUNY Upstate interview dates for the upcoming 11/29-11/30 (aka. I have 11/29-11/30 and would love to switch out.) Thanks for your help. Please PM me if interested.

Would anyone be interested in switching dates with me at UAB? I'm currently scheduled for 12/7 but would like to switch for 12/13.

Anybody know the email address of the NYU pd? Thanks!

Would anyone be interested in exchanging Jan 18-19 for Jan 4-5 at Pitt?
Thanks!

Can anyone switch their Jan 3rd date for my Dec 6th date? If interested PM me.

I have MGH on Jan 11 and would like to switch to Dec 14. If you have this date and would like to switch, please PM me. Thanks so much!

Anyone willing to trade a later date at Carolinas for the interview on 12/7? Let me know. Thanks.

I currently have an interview date for 12/8. Would like to switch to 12/15. If anyone is interested send me a pm.

Can anyone switch MCW dates with me? I have December 13 and want December 20. That week suddenly got very loaded for me, and changing out that one day would really help. PM me if you can. Thanks.

I have 1/9 for my BU interview date, and I need to switch to either 12/11 or 1/18. Please PM if you are interested.
Thanks!

Hey there. Does anyone want to swap their Jan 5th/Dec 8th/Dec 15th Vanderbilt interview for the one I have on Jan 19th?

Either that or my UPMC dates on Jan 18-19th for Dec 7-8th

Would really appreciate it! Just PM me thanks!

Last edited:
Does anyone want to trade 12/12 date for 12/19(preferably) or 1/9 for Univ of Cincinnati?

PM me if anyone is interested. Thanks.

Last edited:
Can anyone who's already been to Cincinnati for interview comment on what time the interview day actually ended? I know the email said no later than 3pm, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

Does anyone know if historically more invites will be sent out in the next few weeks (from cancellations etc)? I've had to cancel a few of my interviews and I'm down to 12 total - was hoping to interview and rank 15. Thanks.

For U Cincinnati interview: I was out 10 til 3pm, it sort of depends on when you do the tour vs interviews sort of deal--i was the last of the group to leave. Hope this helps!

Hey guys, any other dates for Michigan that people can swap? My options are 12/12 or 1/11...Neither of which I am able to cancel but I wanted to see if anyone has another date that we could swap? Message me if it works! Thanks!

Last edited: