NSUCOM Housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gregory Gulick

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious if any of the incoming NSUCOM students would be interested in discussing housing? I spent two days this week exploring it myself and would be happy to share my findings if anyone is interested.

Gregory Gulick
Accepted, NSUCOM '03
http://www.osteopathic.com/gregory

Members don't see this ad.

I am very interested in discussing/hearing what you found. What did you find out?

I was put on the wait list at NOVA but I
have LOTS of information about housing
around campus. I also have an apartment
guide. Let me know what kind of information
that you want. I'll see if I can help.

premed1

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi premed1, I hope you get in off the waitlist and I hear there is a good chance for those who are on it. I believe Henry, who is at NSUCOM and started another thread, was put on the waitlist before he was accepted. I just have a couple of questions. Basically, how much am I going to have to spend to live near campus? Also, are the dorms that bad (and how much do they cost)? Thank you for your help and concern.

I would love to discuss housing as well. I need to start planning my budget and would like to know the general cost of living down there.Thanks!

Well, here is what I got.

There are apartments across the street from Nova (just to the north of campus, I think)

CEDAR KEY:
Closest to Nova
1 BR $765 + $300 deposit
WD hook-ups Icemakers/Self-cleaning ovens
(extra charges for valted ceilings and water view). My personal pick. (954)370-0088

SUNFOREST:
Just east of Cedar Key (still very close)
1 BR $730 + $425 deposit
WD hook-ups WD can be rented for $30/mo
similar extra charges for valted ceilings etc.. (954)424-0551

CAMERON COVE:
Across University Blvd from Nova
1 BR 1st floor $707 2nd $702 3rd $692
$425 deposit ($125 non-refundable)
NO WD but on site laundry room
All water views, free AC.
(954)475-3133 The student that gave our tour lives here, she said that she likes it and walks to class.

These are the closest to campus. The others that I found were not much cheaper.

Hope this helps,

premed1

Yeah, those are about right. I'm filling out the paper work for Cedar Key tomorrow. The cost of living down there is tremendous compared to here in Tampa. Thank goodness for loans.

Gregory Gulick
Accepted, NSUCOM '03
http://www.osteopathic.com/gregory

How much is on-campus graduate housing? Are you guys not considering it because it is bad or something? Thanks.

On campus housing is not bad for the medical student but depend on which building you get there are slightly different. You will share an apartment with another student who are studying in the HPD alos. Your roomate can be from any program. Also, electricity, basic cable and all local phone is included in the rent.(This is what I heard of from some of my classmate). The rent is cheaper than off campus but the quality of the apartment is not as good as the off campus one. However, the dorm is still very decent.

So if you don't mind to live in the dorm, Nova do provide a pretty good living condition, unless your future housemate is making you uncomfortable.

Hi all-

One thing to keep in mind, no matter where you go, is to live as cheaply as possible. Every dollar you spend now will cost you about $3 by the time you repay your loan (including taxes, etc).

I'd recommend trying to share an apartment or house with other med students -- you'll save a bunch, and you'll make a lot more friends that way too. Usually your student affairs office can help point you in the right direction in finding an apartment-mate.

------------------
Lee Burnett, DO
http://www.osteopathic.com