Need your advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

black_chocolate

Reaction score
I just took my DAT 2 days ago and the score was not as good as I expected.
20 AA, 21 TS, 26 PAT, I have an overall GPA of 3.97, and a science GPA of 3.96
English is my second language and I know reading comprehension is my weakest part of DAT. I got so nervous when taking the reading section and mostly used S&D method. Do you think I have a chance with this DAT score? So disappointed with my RC score!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What went wrong while using S/D method? What were your dat bootcamp RC scores?

What went wrong while using S/D method? What were your dat bootcamp RC scores?
I usually got around 18 on bootcamp RC. Honestly, I never read anything related to these topics. I ended up running out of time for the last passage. I wasn't lucky enough to overcome the reading part :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
You probably need to retake unfortunately. Many schools have a cut off of no scores under 17 and reading comprehension is one score the schools care about a lot since it often foreshadows your success on the board exams you take during dental school. I was told this by multiple admissions offices

Reactions: 2 users
You probably need to retake unfortunately. Many schools have a cut off of no scores under 17 and reading comprehension is one score the schools care about a lot since it often foreshadows your success on the board exams you take during dental school. I was told this by multiple admissions offices
I agree with you, one admission officer said I should retake in November and I wouldn't be late for this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with you, one admission officer said I should retake in November and I wouldn't be late for this cycle.
If you took it then you would definitely be late for this cycle. But you may still get some last minute interviews post december if you score well this time. I made a post about my strategy for RC, check it out and the others comments:

If you took it then you would definitely be late for this cycle. But you may still get some last minute interviews post december if you score well this time. I made a post about my strategy for RC, check it out and the others comments:

Thank you a lot!!!

That's a rough one. Nice job otherwise, especially on your PAT :thumbup:. Definitely retake, do decent and your high GPA should help you land some interviews. This cycle is going to be more forgiving in terms of extending interview invites to applicants later than normal. Covid shifted everything and dental schools will want to fill their classes. Also, dont do search and destroy for next exam.

That's a rough one. Nice job otherwise, especially on your PAT :thumbup:. Definitely retake, do decent and your high GPA should help you land some interviews. This cycle is going to be more forgiving in terms of extending interview invites to applicants later than normal. Covid shifted everything and dental schools will want to fill their classes. Also, dont do search and destroy for next exam.
You are right, I need to change my strategy for this section!

Are y’all advising a retake because it’s in RC? What if it were QR?

Are y’all advising a retake because it’s in RC? What if it were QR?
Generally speaking, most schools don't care much about QR. Reading comprehension on the other hand, shows skills heavily relied upon in dental school. So your RC score holds a lot more weight. A 15 QR isn't nearly as damaging as a 15 RC, but some schools still have cutoffs, so you'd want to look into that.

I just took my DAT 2 days ago and the score was not as good as I expected.
20 AA, 21 TS, 26 PAT, other sections: 19 QR, 15 RC, 21 B, 22 GC, 21 OC
I have an overall GPA of 3.97, and a science GPA of 3.96
English is my second language and I know reading comprehension is my weakest part of DAT. I got so nervous when taking the reading section and mostly used S&D method. Do you think I have a chance with this DAT score? So disappointed with my RC score!!!
Don’t listen to these people!!! Although you don’t have the best RC score, your gpa, AA ( and TS) is amazing! Just apply early! I know many people who have had 16’s in QR or RC and were accepted this past cycle! Good luck future dentist!

Reactions: 1 users
Don’t listen to these people!!! Although you don’t have the best RC score, your gpa, AA ( and TS) is amazing! Just apply early! I know many people who have had 16’s in QR or RC and were accepted this past cycle! Good luck future dentist!
Thank you for your nice words, Best of luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.