How do schools feel about 124 sections?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fxryker

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
For example: 504 (126/128/124/126)

Members don't see this ad.

I got in with a 124 B/B with a 506, had 10 or so invites. As long as you sell your story well enough you should do well, I'd recommend letting others who you trust read some of your secondaries and personal statement. See if they feel a story is developing enough to have a cohesion throughout each portion of your app. The 124 won't be killer, only place I know I got rejected because of it was CUSOM because they require 125+ in all sections. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
It depends. Some schools want above 50th percentile overall and over 35th in each subsection. Others will make case-by-case basis. I wouldn't worry.

Members don't see this ad :)
For example: 504 (126/128/124/126)
I got a 124 CARS on my first MCAT, and a 123 CARS on my second and got 2 MD acceptances and 4 DO. Don't let it hold you back, just apply broadly.

Reactions: 1 users
A 123 in any section is DOA for MD unless you fit certain demographics.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
probably don’t love to see it but the average matriculant GPA for DO matriculants is roughly 504, meaning there are actually pretty limited score breakdowns where one section isn’t 124 or below, for an “average” matriculant. Only ways every section is above 124 for that person is either 126 across the board or 127/126/126/125 (in any order) or 127/127/125/125 (in any order). a lot of people fall within these numbers because the scores are supposed to be on a bell curve. But that’s a short slice on the curve even if it’s in the middle - lots of people will fall outside. I don’t have the number of people who take the mcat in a given year handy but I’d be interested to see the number who fall within the 125-127 range in every section and end up applying to stat-appropriate schools vs the number who matriculate DO schools.

Also N = 1, I was accepted with a 123 in bio.

A 123 in any section is DOA for MD unless you fit certain demographics.
123 CARS, white male and it didn't hold me back. One of my acceptances was even an OOS MD school with a 509 median

Reactions: 1 user
You are competitive for most DO schools as long as your whole application is good.How's your GPA and EC?

It's just a hypothetical, but my FLs are 498/504/507/506, and I get my actual on 5/31. My GPA is 3.6/3.6 (physics), and here are my ECs.

It's just a hypothetical, but my FLs are 498/504/507/506, and I get my actual on 5/31. My GPA is 3.6/3.6 (physics), and here are my ECs.
If you score around a 504, you'll get in somewhere. Your ECs are pretty unique and if you blend them into a narrative you should be good to go. What's your DO school list?