Doctor that writes me LOR got cancer and I’m not applying in the next two years …

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cailynn Wang

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys..
I’m a non-traditional premed and currently in my gap year doing research. I wanted to apply to MSTP in the future. I’ve had a couple years of clinical experiences of working in a clinic and developed a very deep connection with a physician who inspires me a lot in the journey. He knows me very well and can write me a strong letter. However, he unfortunately got diagnosed with cancer (stage 4) a year ago. I was very sad about this as he was the one who encouraged me to pursue medicine but he probably unable to live till the day I become a doctor(I will need at least two more gap years to get ready for applying).

Aside from that, we started to think about how we should deal with the LOR issue by the time I apply. I don’t know if anyone here had similar experiences, but it is possible to get him pre-write a LOR and store it somewhere? Or can he authorize other person to summit the letter on his behalf?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

My condolences. You can store the letter in Interfolio which will directly send the letter to application service without breaking confidentiality. The only thing is, Interfolio does charge for for sending the letters. I don’t believe you need a subscription to store letters, but the year you are applying you would need a subscription to send over your letters. I don’t know of any other confidential letter storage services like Interfolio, so it's worth it imo.

Reactions: 1 user
I was very sad about this as he was the one who encouraged me to pursue medicine but he probably unable to live till the day I become a doctor(I will need at least two more gap years to get ready for applying). Aside from that, we started to think about how we should deal with the LOR issue by the time I apply. I don’t know if anyone here had similar experiences, but it is possible to get him pre-write a LOR and store it somewhere? Or can he authorize other person to summit the letter on his behalf?
I would have him write his letter now and send it to Interfolio. That way, you will have a guaranteed letter from him when it's needed.

He can also send his letter to a colleague, who can then edit/update it when you apply. However, many things can happen in two years: his colleague can get into a car accident, suffer a stroke, heart attack, etc., and be unable to submit the letter on his behalf, hence the need to also send it to Interfolio now as a back-up.

Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 3 users