Best way to ask to shadow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notEinstein

Reaction score
My parents have been going to the same primary physician for 45 years. I am on year 17 with him as well. We consider him a friend, as much as a physician and I would like to ask him for some shadowing time.

Question: What is the most appropriate way to do this? I thought about scheduling an appointment with him and asking him during the appointment. But I feel a bit uneasy with misrepresenting the purpose of an appointment. And I also don't want to ask in front of his scribe of that day (who is in every appointment) and put him in the awkward position of the scribe jumping in and wanting to shadow too.

Would a letter be more appropriate? Or is that too impersonal?

Members don't see this ad.

call the office, tell the office manager you're a longtime patient interested in shadowing, and ask them for an email you can contact the doctor at or to leave a message indicating interest with your own personal info

Reactions: 1 user
call the office, tell the office manager you're a longtime patient interested in shadowing, and ask them for an email you can contact the doctor at or to leave a message indicating interest with your own personal info

No office manager unfortunately. Ask the receptionist?

Members don't see this ad :)
My parents have been going to the same primary physician for 45 years. I am on year 17 with him as well. We consider him a friend, as much as a physician and I would like to ask him for some shadowing time.

Question: What is the most appropriate way to do this? I thought about scheduling an appointment with him and asking him during the appointment. But I feel a bit uneasy with misrepresenting the purpose of an appointment. And I also don't want to ask in front of his scribe of that day (who is in every appointment) and put him in the awkward position of the scribe jumping in and wanting to shadow too.

Would a letter be more appropriate? Or is that too impersonal?
Dude. Ask people you know if they know anybody who knows somebody. Seems like you're barking up the wrong tree.

Reactions: 1 user
When I was interested in college research, I drafted a mass email to all of the professors who seemed receptive (got a list from someone I know and added to it). Most important thing is to sell yourself and your free labor. Focus on your accomplishments and what you can do for the organization/medical office, not about what they can do for you. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
Just call his office, don't overthink it. Or get one of your parents to ask.

Reactions: 1 users