Atlantic Bridge 2020 Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone here applied for the 6-year program? If so, what average did you apply with?

Members don't see this ad.

Could someone briefly explain what cGPA and sGPA mean? Sorry, but in Ontario universities we normally use % and less frequently letter grades.
Thanks

Same! I'd really like to know what those are...

Same! I'd really like to know what those are...
I've googled......Cumulative GPA (all courses taken) for example I've completed 3 semesters at university so it would be GPA of all 15 courses; and Semester GPA (usually the most recent semester, like my most recent 5 courses). Hope that helps! Although the 'Science' GPA makes sense....so google?? may not be so reliable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi friends. I just received an interview invitation from RCSI. Has anyone else heard back?

Hi friends. I just received an interview invitation from RCSI. Has anyone else heard back?
Yes, I have also heard back for the GEM program. For an interview in Vancouver next month. I applied by the end of December

Congrats - awesome news!! RCSI - Ireland or MUB? 6yr, 5yr or GEM?
Thank you so much! This is for the GEM in Ireland. I’m currently completing my MS in the states and will be done in May :)

Yes, I have also heard back for the GEM program. For an interview in Vancouver next month. I applied by the end of December
Hell yeah! I’ll see you there. I just accepted the interview for Saturday.

Reactions: 1 user
Firstly, congratulations! Secondly, no. When in the cycle did you apply?
Thank you so much! I’m actually slightly surprised by the turn around. This is embarrassing but I applied the last day you possibly could to be considered for this round... they might be working their way backwards lol.

Just got an invite from RCSI! I've already committed to another school state-side, but I was super excited they were interested in me at all. Would've love to go there, just wasn't the best financial option for me in the long run. Posting to offer hope to some of the low stat apps that often get screened out from US schools (GPA 3.2; MCAT 510 --post bacc 4.0 w/ 40+ units and strong research/publications though). Good luck everyone!

Just got an invite from RCSI! I've already committed to another school state-side, but I was super excited they were interested in me at all. Would've love to go there, just wasn't the best financial option for me in the long run. Posting to offer hope to some of the low stat apps that often get screened out from US schools (GPA 3.2; MCAT 510 --post bacc 4.0 w/ 40+ units and strong research/publications though). Good luck everyone!
When was your application complete, if you don't mind me asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! Would you mind sharing your stats?
Thank you!
Undergrad gpa: 3.3 in biology and public health
MS in Global medicine gpa: ~3.95
MCAT: 122/127/130/126 = 505 (i mention the sub scores because they are a little all over the place)

Limited research experience (6 months during my masters) but tons of volunteer work and clinical experience in resource limited settings/ mental health/ vulnerable populations such as women and children. I think my masters is what rounded out the deficits in my grades/weird ass MCAT scores.

My application focused on medicine as a global practice and better incorporating mental health particularly in LMIC/limited resourced communities.

Hello Everyone!

I just joined as I applied to the four schools available in Ireland for the GEM. I'm from the US and so far things haven't gone my way here, so I'm hoping I'll have better luck with the Irish schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you guys think a mid-January submission means no chance at a first-round offer? I'm just wondering since I waited for my fall grades to be released to send in my transcripts!

Thank you!
Undergrad gpa: 3.3 in biology and public health
MS in Global medicine gpa: ~3.95
MCAT: 122/127/130/126 = 505 (i mention the sub scores because they are a little all over the place)

Limited research experience (6 months during my masters) but tons of volunteer work and clinical experience in resource limited settings/ mental health/ vulnerable populations such as women and children. I think my masters is what rounded out the deficits in my grades/weird ass MCAT scores.

My application focused on medicine as a global practice and better incorporating mental health particularly in LMIC/limited resourced communities.
Thank you for sharing!

Do you guys think a mid-January submission means no chance at a first-round offer? I'm just wondering since I waited for my fall grades to be released to send in my transcripts!
I submitted my application several days ago, and AB told me that I had made it into the first round of evaluations.

Are all first round of interviews already given out, or is this also rolling?

Should 5/6 year applicants expect to hear from Atlantic Bridge later than the GEM applicants?
I think so, as an Ontario Highschool student, I have not been able to send my transcript yet since updated marks come out around Feb 12 which is after exams. Interviews are probably going to roll out from this point till the end of February based on my research.

Should 5/6 year applicants expect to hear from Atlantic Bridge later than the GEM applicants?

From a past thread (the 2018 one) it looks like the 5/6 year applicants hear before the GEM applicants.
But it looks like a couple GEM applicants have heard already (not me yet :dead:) so it might not matter much. Also RCSI seems to send out invitations the earliest, but either way you have plenty of time still :)

So maybe 20 mins after I posted that I got an interview invitation from them :lol:

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations!! Would you mind sharing your stats?
Thanks!!

My undergrad was in Biomedical Sciences.
GPA 3.91
sGPA 3.93
MCAT: 125/131/131/128 or 515

My Achilles heel was my extracurriculars, as I did not have many due to some health issues in undergrad. I do work in research at well-known hospital and have since 2018, but I suppose it wasn't enough for US med schools so far.

Reactions: 1 users
The admissions officer assigned to my application had told me interview invitations for 5/6 year applicants are going out this week. I was also told if not invited to interview this week, but also not receiving a letter of regret, applications can be put on reserve to receive second round invitations/offers.

That being said, best of luck to everyone! Who needs sleep anymore anyways?

Hi Guys! I've gotten an interview but I'm not sure what to expect/how to prepare really, if you have any advice/experience please help me out!! I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Hi Guys! I've gotten an interview but I'm not sure what to expect/how to prepare really, if you have any advice/experience please help me out!! I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Congrats!

This won't be my first interview so I'll share my thoughts.
They told me it would be a panel interview of a couple people with our application open, so they'll likely be asking some questions about that. Make sure you review your application and have a positive answer for any weak spots you might have, why you have them and how you've worked on improving them. It's all about growth and forward thinking!

They'll also be asking about your motivation to go into medicine. Have some genuine reasons ready to discuss, but you don't want to sound too rehearsed. If you truly are genuine about going into medicine, your passion and excitement will naturally be evident when you're talking about your motivations.

Of course, make sure you look into the school and do some research on what their mission is, their atmosphere, why you think this school will be a good fit, etc. You don't have to be in love with everything about it, but pick the points you do like and be ready to discuss why if the question arises or the time seems right.

Other than that it's mostly just being professional and personable. Show them you're excited for the opportunity and that they were right to give you an interview!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats!

This won't be my first interview so I'll share my thoughts.
They told me it would be a panel interview of a couple people with our application open, so they'll likely be asking some questions about that. Make sure you review your application and have a positive answer for any weak spots you might have, why you have them and how you've worked on improving them. It's all about growth and forward thinking!

They'll also be asking about your motivation to go into medicine. Have some genuine reasons ready to discuss, but you don't want to sound too rehearsed. If you truly are genuine about going into medicine, your passion and excitement will naturally be evident when you're talking about your motivations.

Of course, make sure you look into the school and do some research on what their mission is, their atmosphere, why you think this school will be a good fit, etc. You don't have to be in love with everything about it, but pick the points you do like and be ready to discuss why if the question arises or the time seems right.

Other than that it's mostly just being professional and personable. Show them you're excited for the opportunity and that they were right to give you an interview!

Thank you so much! I will keep this in mind. There aren't any specific questions I should prepare for?

Thank you so much! I will keep this in mind. There aren't any specific questions I should prepare for?
The common questions will come in various forms, things like "Why do you want to go into medicine?" "Why did you decided to apply to RCSI?" "What makes you think you'll be a good fit for our program?"

There are numerous questions they can ask, and you can look up common medical interview questions to get a feel for them. I wouldn't worry too much about giving the perfect answer, just give one that fits you and highlights your positive qualities.

Congratulations! Was it from the 5/6 year program that you received an interview? Good luck!!

The common questions will come in various forms, things like "Why do you want to go into medicine?" "Why did you decided to apply to RCSI?" "What makes you think you'll be a good fit for our program?"

There are numerous questions they can ask, and you can look up common medical interview questions to get a feel for them. I wouldn't worry too much about giving the perfect answer, just give one that fits you and highlights your positive qualities.
Thank you so much, you've been so helpful!! I really appreciate it and I wish you all the best.

Yes! I am so nervous though!!
You will do great! Just be prepared to answer questions about why you want to go into medicine, and maybe about how you can overcome the challenges that it presents. There are also some great online resources that outline the types of questions they are likely to ask! There's also nothing wrong with taking time to answer the questions, it'll be better if it comes out well articulated versus it being incoherent. Good luck and have confidence in yourself.

Just received an invite for RCSI (5/6 year) this evening.....for Toronto, end of February.

The application process was good. It took me like 5 days to finish it becauseI applied very late (probably last applicant). The payment was combination of both. I took a loan from a bank and also some family support. Im pretty sure everyone had to get a loan for studying medicine outside. Also, yes you have to pay around 4k to reserve your spot.

Oh good. How late did you start your application if you do not mind me asking?

trying, seems as if the interview is as far as its going to go :dead:
At least you got an invitation. I am still waiting for mine unfortunately. My admissions counselor told me that I am suppose to receive an invitation as early as the first week of February.

At least you got an invitation. I am still waiting for mine unfortunately. My admissions counselor told me that I am suppose to receive an invitation as early as the first week of February.
Your AO told you that you were receiving an invitation?

It's okay because there are more than one round of offers! don't feel discouraged, my sister has yet to get her invitation as well. You got this!

It's okay because there are more than one round of offers! don't feel discouraged, my sister has yet to get her invitation as well. You got this!
If someone was given an invitation during the second rounds and is given an offer will they start courses in Fall 2020 or later?