Age Waiver: HPSP/MDSSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bomba

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just posting here for a gut check. I'm a very non-traditional student (will matriculate at 40). Two of my biggest regrets in life are not pursuing medicine sooner and never joining the military. I know it's nothing like the service, but I did go to a military academy in high school and was in a "Corp of Cadets" during university. Again, nothing like the real deal, but I at least know how to shine my shoes and am handy with Brasso. That being said, I'm contemplating either HPSP or MDSSP. Obviously, there are some major differences in commitment and lifestyle between the two, but if I were to go HPSP I would be most interested in the Navy, and as far as I'm aware only the Army Reserve offers MDSSP.

Has anyone ever heard of an applicant my age entering into either of these programs? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Looks like both active duty and reserves want you to have that degree before you turn 42. There ARE cases of age waivers being granted, but it seems like it's literally the kind of thing that makes the news (Waiver enables 62-year-old doctor to join New York Air Guard). It also just doesn't seem like the DoD is exactly growing military medicine right now. Of course the VA is also not growing growing exactly at the moment, but its HPSP doesn't have an age limit! You can still have all the bureaucracy you ever dreamed of, just with a little less required training with live ammunition or running tracks.

Looks like both active duty and reserves want you to have that degree before you turn 42. There ARE cases of age waivers being granted, but it seems like it's literally the kind of thing that makes the news (Waiver enables 62-year-old doctor to join New York Air Guard). It also just doesn't seem like the DoD is exactly growing military medicine right now. Of course the VA is also not growing growing exactly at the moment, but its HPSP doesn't have an age limit! You can still have all the bureaucracy you ever dreamed of, just with a little less required training with live ammunition or running tracks.
For sure, I'm under no illusion that it's a likely path. I figure that I can try and the worst that can happen is they say no. If that ship has sailed, so be it.