2023-2024 Maryland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
RD, LM 82

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking at MSAR... Can anyone give some insight as to why the average MCAT is higher for accepted in state applicants than for accepted out of state applicants? Assumed it would be the other way around given that the interview rate is about 4 times higher for in state than out of state.

Second question: Do you think being a DC applicant gives any advantage compared to other out of state applicants? Always imagined that a big part of the in state advantage is due to interest in becoming a resident/doctor in the school's hospital system after graduation.

anyone having an issue with their LOR being "received" at a later date than originally sent? I remember the LOR was submitted when I submitted my secondary on 08/01, however now the LOR is "received 08/25." Anyone know what that's about?

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone having an issue with their LOR being "received" at a later date than originally sent? I remember the LOR was submitted when I submitted my secondary on 08/01, however now the LOR is "received 08/25." Anyone know what that's about?
I just checked my portal and the same thing happened to me. I submitted on 7/29 with all my LORs and it says they were submitted on 8/17. My best guess is someone went through manually to make sure our app was complete and it’s now under review. I wouldn’t worry!

Reactions: 1 users
I just checked my portal and the same thing happened to me. I submitted on 7/29 with all my LORs and it says they were submitted on 8/17. My best guess is someone went through manually to make sure our app was complete and it’s now under review. I wouldn’t worry!
Yes this is exactly right. It has happened during past cycles too

Reactions: 1 user
For the work description part on 20, did you put a few lines of what you did or did you just put what the job was? For example, did you put "medical assistant" only or did you add extra lines describing what you did exactly?

For the work description part on 20, did you put a few lines of what you did or did you just put what the job was? For example, did you put "medical assistant" only or did you add extra lines describing what you did exactly?

I attempted to add more of a description originally, but I believe there is approximately a 150 character limit (please correct me if I’m wrong) which you will get a warning about if you exceed it. In the end I gave a short clarification/common name of the position in parenthesis if my actual position title had nothing to do with the line of work.

I attempted to add more of a description originally, but I believe there is approximately a 150 character limit (please correct me if I’m wrong) which you will get a warning about if you exceed it. In the end I gave a short clarification/common name of the position in parenthesis if my actual position title had nothing to do with the line of work.
That makes sense. Thank you!

Anyone receive an II with an early August secondary submission?

Looking at MSAR... Can anyone give some insight as to why the average MCAT is higher for accepted in state applicants than for accepted out of state applicants? Assumed it would be the other way around given that the interview rate is about 4 times higher for in state than out of state.

Second question: Do you think being a DC applicant gives any advantage compared to other out of state applicants? Always imagined that a big part of the in state advantage is due to interest in becoming a resident/doctor in the school's hospital system after graduation.
I think they get more tuition for OOS?

Screenshot (4).png

I applied ED and haven't heard anything yet. Today I was checking my portal neurotically, and saw the infamous status bar (picture for reference). I've gotten this in past cycles, and typically it followed by a pre-II rejection a week or two later (this was February-ish and I applied RD). I found out from a previous ED candidate who was accepted at Maryland and a current M1 that they received their II 09/07/2022 and interviewed a week later. This is definitely a vent post, but I don't know if I should take this as them actually just reviewing my app, or take it as what it's meant in the past. I hate this process :(

View attachment 376561
I applied ED and haven't heard anything yet. Today I was checking my portal neurotically, and saw the infamous status bar (picture for reference). I've gotten this in past cycles, and typically it followed by a pre-II rejection a week or two later (this was February-ish and I applied RD). I found out from a previous ED candidate who was accepted at Maryland and a current M1 that they received their II 09/07/2022 and interviewed a week later. This is definitely a vent post, but I don't know if I should take this as them actually just reviewing my app, or take it as what it's meant in the past. I hate this process :(
When did you submit your secondary and what were your stats?

View attachment 376561
are you referring to the lock?

07/23 but I was early decision. They won't send out R's for regular decision applicants till feb or march
UMSOM usually sends out a soft R letter in early December where they say "Your application has been placed on hold." From all previous SDN threads, I have only heard of 1 person getting an II after that email.

• Sad
Mine say received on 8/7 but my app is still marked incomplete. did this happen to anyone else? does this mean they havent reviewed my app yet?

Mine say received on 8/7 but my app is still marked incomplete. did this happen to anyone else? does this mean they havent reviewed my app yet?
Mine says complete, do you have all the required documents/fee in yet?

Is it just me or has Maryland been relatively quiet?

• Hmm
Is it just me or has Maryland been relatively quiet?
It seems a lot of schools are relatively slow/quiet this year. Again, we are only in September, so a lot of time left before the "Thanksgiving rule" comes into play

What's the thanksgiving rule?
A loose idea that states if you don't have an II by Thanksgiving, you should start to prepare for the next cycle/most II have been sent out at this point. Someone, please correct me if I am a) wrong or b) missing anything.

For those that just received an II, when was the earliest possible interview date?

IS II! Complete 7/24. LM ~75. Non-trad career changer. So thrilled to get some love from my state school! <3

For those that just received an II, when was the earliest possible interview date?
10/11 on my portal, there were spots available almost every Mon/Wed through November which was as far ahead as I could view.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone, can someone provide me their honest opinion. I am a Canadian applicant, recieved the seconday in July but got really busy with other secondary apps and Canadian applications. Is it worth finishing the Umaryland secondary app now in October?

Hello everyone, can someone provide me their honest opinion. I am a Canadian applicant, recieved the seconday in July but got really busy with other secondary apps and Canadian applications. Is it worth finishing the Umaryland secondary app now in October?
I am not terribly familiar with the Canadian application process, however UMSOM only interviewed 3 out of 222 international students last year. While you can submit your secondary today, waiting 2.5 months to complete a secondary does not reflect well on your dedication to this school, and will likely impact your odds.

My opinion: save your money, unless your application is truly stellar.