MD Discussion concluded, MCAT question concerning acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hevin Kart

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Discussion has completed about this topic, thank you for all your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the link, I’ve read it and made some updates to my post, are there any glaring things I’ve missed that I should include or alter to best get the responses I hope for?Thanks again.
Details on your activities will help determine if you have enough to ascertain a mission fit.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the nature of your 100 hours of clinical volunteering and your 300 hours of non clinical volunteering ?

Your only weakness in your application are your low clinical volunteering hours. Some schools screen at 150 hours so you should accumulate another 50 hours before you submit your application. I suggest these schools if you do so:
U Illinois
Southern Illinois
Rosalind Franklin
Iowa
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
TCU
NOVA MD
Belmont
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Hackensack
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Albany
Rochester
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Roseman (when it opens)

What is the “rock climbing wall” you consider service to the unserved/underserved?
Why not a PhD? You might be asked why MD and not PhD.
Your clinical hours are pretty low. Projected hours really aren’t looked at kindly, but after you collect 100+ you could do an update if a decision hasn’t been made on your application.
You don’t need anymore shadowing hours unless you don’t have primary care shadowing.

Where you involved in direct care with interaction with the cancer patients ? If not, it is not clinical.

My clinical volunteering is both direct patient interaction in taking patient information and bringing them to rooms as well as indirect like prepping rooms and then shadowing the doctors. My non-clinical is at food pantries, homeless shelters, my church, the rock climbing wall, food drives, and things of that sort.
The reaction you are getting is due to your description. Is this how you would describe your activities on AMCAS? I can get behind some discretion for privacy, but you won't get a better reply unless you adopt a more professional communication tone. Otherwise, I don't get how rock climbing is non-clinical volunteering unless you tell us. We can't read your mind to tell you whether your responsibilities in a lab are clinical or nonclinical.

I'm happy to screen out applications for lack of detail or sounding too circumspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.