DAT Breakdown (4/17/13)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obeserabbit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I took my DAT earlier today and I figured I'd post a few thoughts to help out with motivation/studying tips. I ended up bookmarking like 30+ breakdowns (before I knew about La DATelisse), and they were really great for gauging where I was at, in terms of practice test scores, and also planning out how to study. Hopefully my breakdown is helpful; feel free to post/PM if you have any questions.

My scores were:
PAT 22 (93.8%)
QR 22 (98.7%)
RC 23 (96.1%)
BIO 24 (99.6%)
GC 29 (99.9%)
OC 28 (99.5%)
TS 27 (100.0%)
AA 25 (100.0%)

For study materials, I used Chad's videos, Cliff's AP Bio, DAT Destroyer, Math Destroyer, Topscore, Achiever, ADA 2009, CDP, and DAT Qvault Bio.

Biology:
- I read through Cliff's once, then decided to make my own outline based on Cliff's, so I read through it again. It's pretty much the same as all the other outlines out there, but for me it was more helpful typing it up myself. I went through Destroyer twice, and I had a section at the end of my outline for random Destroyer facts. First time through Destroyer was around 75% correct. During my second pass through Destroyer, I also went through DAT Qvault, and saved a bunch of questions that I wasn't sure about.
- Around two weeks out from my test date, I printed out my outline and highlighted/made notes and mnemonics in it. If I could do it over again, I wouldn't have done a cold reading of Cliff's and instead would've started my outline on day one.
- I felt the actual test was pretty difficult (due to randomness), and there was one particular question on something which I hadn't seen in any of my biology review. The biology section really is just a crapshoot, and I had a lot of marked questions when I finished this section.

General Chemistry:
- I went through Chad's videos and took notes by hand and also did his quizzes. After that, I went through Destroyer twice. The first time through I got around 76% correct.
- If I could do it over again, I wouldn't have spent time watching Chad's videos a second time. I ended up watching most of his videos a second time while following along in my notes, but this was kinda a waste of time for me.
- This section was much easier than Destroyer.

Organic Chemistry:
- This was, and will always be, my weakest section. Conceptually, I just have a tough time understanding some of the topics. I went through Chad's videos and took notes by hand and did the quizzes. Then, I went through Destroyer twice. I made note cards on every question I didn't understand, but I'm not sure how helpful that was since I only went through them once...I probably wouldn't do this again. The first time through Destroyer was ridiculous...I ended up getting around 55% correct. There was one stretch where I got 11 consecutive questions wrong...
- The real test was much easier than Destroyer.

PAT:
- I went through KBB just to get a feel for the questions. Then I started doing CDP. I bought the Royal Flush edition, but I really should've bought the middle one (Ace edition?), since I ended up not using the thousands of AR/CC/HP questions. For the first four CDP tests, I couldn't even finish them on time. I didn't have time to do all 10 tests, and I saved CDP #6 for last.
- The real thing was harder than CDP overall, especially TFE and keyholes. However, cube counting and angle ranking were easier, while hole punching was around the same level. I also thought pattern folding was around the same level as CDP, maybe even a little easier. I'm pretty sure I lost most of my points in TFE and keyholes...

Reading Comprehension:
- The only practice I got here was through Topscore, Achiever, and ADA 2009. Topscore was too much S&D and too easy, while Achiever and ADA 2009 were both overly difficult.
- On the actual exam, the passages I got were all science-based and weren't too tough to read. With this section, you really need to watch your timing though. I was hoping for a higher score, but I'm definitely satisfied with a 23.

QR:
- I went through Math Destroyer and like a 1/3 of the math section in DAT Destroyer. I also made note cards of all the formulas that were in the front section of MD.
- I felt that the QR section for my test was really tough (judging by the percentiles). There were at least 2 questions which I had no clue on how to approach. Overall, Math Destroyer was the best prep for this, but I was really hoping for a better score.

As with all the other sections of the test, a lot of it is just luck, i.e. you might get an easy section or you could get stuck with a harder section!

I started doing practice exams around 16 days out from my actual exam. I started with Achiever, then went to Topscore, and finally did ADA 2009 two days before my exam.

My practice test scores were:

Achiever (BIO/GC/OC/PA/RC/QR/TS/AA):
Test 1: 20 23 13 18 18 29 18 21
Test 2: 18 19 16 19 17 19 18 18
Test 3: 17 19 20 18 18 21 19 19

- Achiever has a nice layout, but is devastatingly tough. The PAT section is good practice though.

Topscore (BIO/GC/OC/PA/RC/QR/TS/AA):
Test 1: 19 18 20 21 29 21 20 21
Test 2: 20 21 23 23 22 20 21 21
Test 3: 21 21 19 24 29 30 21 24

- Topscore has a really ugly, outdated interface and I didn't like their answer explanations (especially for QR). Also, some of their taxonomy questions are a bit too detailed imo.

CDP (only did 9 tests; took CDP#6 on the day before the real DAT):
19, 21, 20, 20, 24, 29, 22, 25, 23

DAT Qvault Bio:
21, 21, 23, 22, 21, 22, 22, 25, 20, 19

ADA 2009 had an embarrassing amount of errors. After accounting for the errors, my scores were 30 Bio, 28 GC, 22 OC, 23 PAT, 18 RC, and 19 QR. One of my biology questions was directly from this test though, so I guess it was worth doing.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
now that's what i'm talkin about!

sdn freakstyle right there.

Incredible. Congratulations on your OVERWHELMING success!

Did you feel that Chad's quizzes were representative of the types and difficulty of questions on your DAT?

You said the QR was tough. Was it as tough and involved as Math Destroyer? I feel like some of the questions on Math Destroyer take so long.

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy moly! AWESOME scores! Congratulations!!!!

You're added to La DATelisse! (By any chance, are there any breakdowns you have bookmarked that aren't on the list? I'd love to have them!)

now that's what i'm talkin about!

sdn freakstyle right there.

thanks!

Incredible. Congratulations on your OVERWHELMING success!

Did you feel that Chad's quizzes were representative of the types and difficulty of questions on your DAT?

It's been a long time since I did Chad's quizzes, but from what I can remember, it was similar in difficulty. Just make sure you understand them all - for every quiz question that I got wrong/didn't understand, I'd write it in my notes. This was helpful since when I tried to do the quizzes a second time, I found out my subscription had expired.

You said the QR was tough. Was it as tough and involved as Math Destroyer? I feel like some of the questions on Math Destroyer take so long.

Overall, the questions ranged in difficulty, but the toughest ones were definitely Math Destroyer level. Some of the calculations do take awhile, but other questions can be done in <5 seconds, so it all balances out. Honestly though, I think I just got a tough QR section - you might have better luck :)

Holy moly! AWESOME scores! Congratulations!!!!

You're added to La DATelisse! (By any chance, are there any breakdowns you have bookmarked that aren't on the list? I'd love to have them!)

Thanks! Here are some breakdowns that I didn't see on the list:
shiftparadigm - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=941899
blake1e - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=967175
kc12 - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=941683
qnzbabi91 - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=945574
predentlimbo - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=962090
nahehes49 - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=938412
engineer09 - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=939202
gigawatt - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=749668
tk2006 - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=753456
wcombs - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=911007

Great scores!! How long did you study for and how many hours a day?

Sent from my ADR910L using SDN Mobile

I studied for around 3.5 months, but the first few weeks weren't very serious at all (just reading Cliff's and taking notes on Chad's vids)...after that I studied 5 days/week for 6-8 hours a day, and during the last month, I studied 6 days/week for 8-10 hours a day.

First off congrats on your amazing scores! This is such a random question, I also took my DAT on 4/17/13 didn't do as well as what I was scoring using both Achiever and Topscore but that's besides the point. What did you receive from the testing center on test day? I received 2 pieces of laminated paper and 2 non-erasable markers. While prepping using CDP I was under the assumption I would receive dry erase markers. Am I wrong?

This is AWESOME! Congrats!

Thanks buddy

Very impressive. That 27TS is absolutely killer.

Thanks for the shout out!

No problem, your breakdown was really helpful.

First off congrats on your amazing scores! This is such a random question, I also took my DAT on 4/17/13 didn't do as well as what I was scoring using both Achiever and Topscore but that's besides the point. What did you receive from the testing center on test day? I received 2 pieces of laminated paper and 2 non-erasable markers. While prepping using CDP I was under the assumption I would receive dry erase markers. Am I wrong?

Thanks, sorry to hear about your test :/ I think they changed it recently, as I also received the same materials as you on test day. In the Prometric email, they said:

Important Note: Previously two erasable note boards, two low-odor fine tip dry erase markers, and an eraser were provided to you by test center staff for your examination. However, sites are in the process of receiving new markers. These new markers are of better quality but they cannot be erased with an eraser. Therefore, sites will not be supplying you with an eraser. If you fill the two note boards and require additional note boards, please raise your hand and inform the test center administrator. The test center administrator will exchange one of your used note boards with a new note board. This change has not occurred at all sites yet but will be implemented within the next few months.

Last edited:
I also went through destroyer a few times. It definitely helped iron out any repetitive mistakes I was making. Congrats on the amazing scores.