DAT Breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Centry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, I'd like to thank everyone who has ever posted a DAT breakdown on SDN because chances are I have read it. Those were immensely helpful in conserving my time and focusing my studies.

Scores:
Perceptual Ability Test: 20 (73.8%)
Quantitative Reasoning: 27 (99.6%)
Reading Comprehension : 24 (94.4%)
Biology: 21 (91.8%)
General Chemistry: 25 (97.1%)
Organic Chemistry: 23 (93.4%)
Total Science: 23 (97.5%)
Academic Average: 24 (99.4%)

I studied a little more than 2 months, usually 1-2 hours a day for the first 5 weeks or so and then got serious with about 3 weeks left when I started studying 6-7 hours a day.
The first thing I did was watch all of Chad's Biology videos. I know some people find these unhelpful, but they were simple enough (and short enough) to ease my introduction into studying for the DAT. Afterwards, I went through all of EK Orgo, General Chemistry, and Biology (in that order). I tried to maneuver my studying schedule so that I never went more than 2 weeks without looking at a particular subject.
After going through all of EK, I looked at Schaum's and read all of the chapters that didn't cover Human Biology but would appear on the DAT (at least according to the topics covered), excluding those I felt I already had a good grasp on.

These included:
Ch. 6: Photosynthesis
Ch 13: Basic Structure and Function in Vascular Plants
Ch. 14: Interactions of Vascular Plants with their Environment
Ch. 26: Ecology
Ch 28-32: Kingdoms of Monera, Protista, Fungi, Plantae, and Animalia

About 5 weeks before my DAT, I started working on the PAT. It's important to start on this early enough and continue to work on this in the background of studying for the other sections. Looking at the PAT every day, even if for only 20 minutes, is vital.

About 3 weeks before my DAT, I ran through DAT Destroyer, creating flash cards on every question that I got incorrect. This process took about 9-10 days. Regrettably, I didn't use Anki until after I had handwrote about 250 flashcards.

I started taking practice tests about 2 weeks prior to my exam. It's important to not take practice tests too late because you won't have sufficient time to review your mistakes as well as review material. Also, I think it's problematic to take practice tests too early because you aren't at your full potential to succeed on it quite yet, and there is nothing more frustrating than doing mediocre on a practice test because you're not sufficiently prepared, whilst simultaneously using up a practice test. It's depressing and annoying. (They are, after all, the most expensive commodity and most accurate indicator of your success on the DAT)

Materials I used:
DAT Destroyer
Math Destroyer
ExamKrackers Biology
ExamKrackers Organic Chemistry (and EK 1001 Organic Chemistry)
ExamKrackers General Chemistry (and EK 1001 General Chemistry)
Crack the DAT PAT (10 Tests)
Crack the DAT Math (5 Tests)
Crack the DAT Science (5 Tests)
Schaum's Outline Biology 2nd Edition
Topscore Tests

Ancillary Materials:
Chad's Videos (Biology only)
Anki

References:
Human Physiology by Silverthorn
Biology 8th Edition by Raven

Biology
DAT Destroyer, even though the questions do seem to be scattered and sometimes too detail-oriented, is important to go through. It really does hit every corner tested on the DAT and I felt adequately prepared using both this and Schaum's. Schaum's is very detailed, but it's not likely you'll have to read all of it. Picking out the chapters that you don't have a good grasp is how you should approach it. I'm slightly disappointed with my performance on biology because I felt I prepared enough for a higher score.

General Chemistry
I would highly recommend using EK Chemistry along with EK 1001 Chemistry because it provided a solid foundation for understanding all the topics and solving questions using diagrams and setting up equations. I think what makes these materials useful for the DAT is that both the MCAT and DAT don't allow a calculator. To supplement these resources, Destroyer prepares you for the obscurity that may appear on the DAT while reinforcing your knowledge.

Organic Chemistry
Going through EK Orgo and going through Destroyer is good preparation for this section. EK 1001 Orgo is alot, and I only went through it for topics that I had forgotten or that I didn't have too much practice on. Of course, memorizing the roadmaps is sort of a prerequisite for success in this section. But more importantly, understanding the reactions is necessary, as well as its mechanisms.

PAT
For the PAT, only perfect practice makes perfect. I found that CDP was generally a good indicator on what to expect on the actual DAT.
In my testing experience, the keyholes were relatively the same to that of CDP, in terms of difficulty, except that the graphics in CDP are better. The TFE section was a little bit easier on the real DAT. I had used the Line Counting method alot in my CDP tests, and I knew that the LC method would not translate to the real DAT. I had been averaging around 21 on my practice tests and had resigned myself to that score on the actual DAT, or lower. However, 2 days before my test I "figured out" how to perceive the objects in TFE and was able to easily solve these questions from then on. The greatest motivator was the fear of getting 0/15 in the TFE section on the actual DAT.
The difficulty of the Angle Rankings was somewhere between that of CDP and Topscore, with CDP of course being the most difficult. The Hole Punching section had something I hadn't encountered before in Topscore or CDP: 1/3 folds. This really caught me by surprise, as Hole Punching was my best section, and nullified my newfound abilities in TFE.
Cube Counting on the actual DAT was easier than CDP simply because there were less cubes to count. Pattern Folding was more difficult than CDP, but about as difficult as Topscore. I ran out of time and had to guess the last 3 Pattern Folding questions.

Reading Comprehension
I used a hybrid search and destroy method on the actual DAT. I don't think that singularly using search and destroy would yield success on this section because the answers aren't word for word. What I did was quickly read the question and the answer choices and would read the passage with the question and answer choices in mind. When I stumbled on the answer, I moved onto the next question. Retention of material throughout this process is the hard part.

Quantitative Reasoning
Math Destroyer and regular destroyer are enough to do well on this section. I suggest finding combination and permutation questions and doing them (I did about 35-40 of each).
The real QR section was much easier than destroyer.

If I could have improved my studying experience, I would have used Anki in my studies earlier. I had attempted to DL it about 2 months before I took the DAT, and the DL got messed up and I kinda forgot about it. Anki is amazing.
Also, I probably should've practiced more PAT questions, particularly more difficult pattern folding questions.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask me or PM me and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Practice DAT Test Scores.xlsx
    9.1 KB · Views: 198
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 321
Great scores. These breakdowns certainly fuel my motivation.

Question though, any particular reason you did Chad's biology videos over his chem/ochem videos? What made you do EK?

Members don't see this ad :)
These are incredible scores. Well done! Did you feel that the QR was more representative of the regular Destroyer or the Math Destroyer in terms of difficulty and timing?

Great scores. These breakdowns certainly fuel my motivation.

Question though, any particular reason you did Chad's biology videos over his chem/ochem videos? What made you do EK?

I saw that his biology videos were up for free, so I decided to watch them. I liked how he broke down topics and really simplified all the topics I wasn't really confident in (i.e. photosynthesis, the specifics of the kreb cycle). Honestly, when I was gathering materials to study for the DAT, I felt I had enough material to do well and didn't feel like spending more money on Chad's videos. But I have heard nothing but good things about Chad's Chem/Ochem.

I already took the MCAT and did really well on that, using EK. However, I have chosen dentistry over medicine and grad school for a couple of personal reasons. EK does a good job of explaining topics very well. The only drawback is that EK Biology only covers human biology, which is problematic on the DAT. I sat down with the DAT examinee guide and had to match up material covered on the Biology section, to find out what I had to read in Schaum's.

These are incredible scores. Well done! Did you feel that the QR was more representative of the regular Destroyer or the Math Destroyer in terms of difficulty and timing?

The QR was more representative of the regular Destroyer. But I would definitely go through Math Destroyer for a number of reasons:
1. It's harder. It's important to test yourself on harder material.
2. You are able to gauge how to time yourself in the section, because you may get stumped in a Math Destroyer practice test. Any sequence of 40 questions from regular Destroyer may not touch all the topics seen on the real DAT.
3. The Math Destroyer tests have the proper variation that is seen on the DAT. So like, you might get 2-3 permutation/combination questions in a Math Destroyer test, which is about how many you'll see on the real DAT.

Thanks everyone. It feels good to be done. I think anyone who is taking the DAT soon should practice on 1/3 folds in hole punching.

Congratulation!!! It is a really great score! Could you explain or give an example for the 1/3 folding? I will take the DAT next week and try to prepare this 1/3 folding right now. Thanks a lot.

Congratulation!!! It is a really great score! Could you explain or give an example for the 1/3 folding? I will take the DAT next week and try to prepare this 1/3 folding right now. Thanks a lot.

I can't find any examples, because I've never seen them in the materials I used [CDP and Topscore].

Instead of folding the paper into fourths or halves, fold the paper into thirds. Apparently, after folding the paper by thirds [and punching the hole, of course] all of the "punches" will still abide by the 4x4 system. I'm sorry if this doesn't really help you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they're in Achiever. This is more of an 1/8th fold, but is this the sort of problem you're referring to?

168h5dw.png

Congrats on your monster scores, by the way!

Yes, the second figure in this diagram looks like it has a 1/3 fold.

I didn't see any 1/8th folds on my test, but this is the sort of problem I'm referring to. Thanks for the image, free99.

For the 1/8 fold example above, is the answer C. It seems like an "easy" question though. How were the real DAT hole punching questions compared to this?

For the 1/8 fold example above, is the answer C. It seems like an "easy" question though. How were the real DAT hole punching questions compared to this?

I also think the answer is C. This question, in my estimation, would've been considered one of the easier ones.

Congratulations! I also use Anki, but I have from day 1. It's unbelievable how much I remember that I don't think I do. The spaced repetition really works.

Can someone explain what Anki is?? I am downloading it right now but I have NO IDEA how to use it/what it is.

Century - congrats on your super super great scores. I am using CDP and am having a really hard time with the angles section. Any suggestions? I know you said it's a bit easier on the real DAT correct?
Are the cube images on the DAT better than CDP? Bc a few of the CDP images are "misleading."
Also on the real DAT for the hole punch section, there's only ONE punched hole in each question right? (unlike CDP where there could be 2 or 3 holes punched out). Is there 1/2 punched holes on the real DAT?

How close are the Gchem and OChem sections compared to the real DAT? Do you think doing just Gchem and Ochem (like 3x each) in the regular destroyer is enough?

thanks!

Can someone explain what Anki is?? I am downloading it right now but I have NO IDEA how to use it/what it is.

Century - congrats on your super super great scores. I am using CDP and am having a really hard time with the angles section. Any suggestions? I know you said it's a bit easier on the real DAT correct?
Are the cube images on the DAT better than CDP? Bc a few of the CDP images are "misleading."
Also on the real DAT for the hole punch section, there's only ONE punched hole in each question right? (unlike CDP where there could be 2 or 3 holes punched out). Is there 1/2 punched holes on the real DAT?

How close are the Gchem and OChem sections compared to the real DAT? Do you think doing just Gchem and Ochem (like 3x each) in the regular destroyer is enough?

thanks!

Hey man,

I would look into the Hill method/technique for angles. IMO, I think that once you get past 25 seconds on an angle question, you're not gonna figure something out that you haven't already, so just put an answer down, mark it, and move on. CDP angles were the hardest.

I didn't feel misled on cubes at all; I have felt that way in CDP though.

I think you should be prepared for anything on hole punching, because I wasn't.

"How close are the Gchem and OChem sections compared to the real DAT? Do you think doing just Gchem and Ochem (like 3x each) in the regular destroyer is enough?"

What are you referencing as compared to the real DAT? I only went through destroyer once, but went over my mistakes about 9-10 times.

Anki is a specialized flashcard system with spaced repetition. You can create your own flashcards, or look for sets created by others already. [Some of the DAT destroyer sets are pretty good]

The best advice I could give you is start studying very hard from the very beginning, whereas I didn't start working really hard until I had about 3 weeks or so. Good luck

Is there a way to download Anki with pre-made flashcards? or do you make your own? Congrats on your amazing scores! :) Would you recommend Schaum's outline over cliff or barron's note for bio?

Is there a way to download Anki with pre-made flashcards? or do you make your own? Congrats on your amazing scores! :) Would you recommend Schaum's outline over cliff or barron's note for bio?

Once you download Anki, you can search for flashcard sets that have been made by others.

I only used about 10 chapters or so from Schaum's, so I don't know if I'm qualified to give a complete review on it. That being said, I liked it alot for the chapters I did use and would recommend it. However, if it's your main source of study material, you're gonna have to go through alot because it's very detailed.

Have you see Cliffs bio? I just want to know how does it compare to Schaums. Which has better explanations?

Hey man,

I would look into the Hill method/technique for angles. IMO, I think that once you get past 25 seconds on an angle question, you're not gonna figure something out that you haven't already, so just put an answer down, mark it, and move on. CDP angles were the hardest.

Sorry, I didn't clarify...How close are the Gchem and OChem sections in the regular Destroyer compared to the real DAT?

Also to clarify, so on your real DAT in the hole punch section, you saw multiple punched hole (in one problem) AND also 1/2 punched out holes? I could have sworn i read somewhere that there will only be one punched hole per question....

Thanks for your reply!!

Sorry, I didn't clarify...How close are the Gchem and OChem sections in the regular Destroyer compared to the real DAT?

Also to clarify, so on your real DAT in the hole punch section, you saw multiple punched hole (in one problem) AND also 1/2 punched out holes? I could have sworn i read somewhere that there will only be one punched hole per question....

Thanks for your reply!!

I would say that Destroyer is more difficult across the board than the actual DAT.

I don't want to get into specifics because I don't want to violate the nondisclosure agreement. But I think it's safe to say that you should be prepared for anything on the DAT hole punching, including 1/3 folds.

Have you see Cliffs bio? I just want to know how does it compare to Schaums. Which has better explanations?

I didn't use Cliff Notes, but I did browse through Alan's Notes [which has bits of Cliff Notes] and I think Schaum's is more detailed. As for explanations, perhaps someone else can answer that.

Hey guys,
I recently took the DAT (3 days ago) and got a 20 TS, 20 AA, 21 PAT. I consider these scores to be pretty good. I am selling me DAT materials which include kaplan online materials (originally $1,299 with the course), Kaplan review book (thick book), AP Biology cliff notes, DAT Destroyer and MATH Destroyer (no marks in them), Bootcamp online materials and DATQvault online materials (exp. oct 19). Please let me know if you need or want any of these materials and we can work out a price (wayyy cheaper than the original price). Contact me at [email protected] if interested and we can further discuss. Thanks.

Could you post your Kaplan scores? I'm taking the class at the moment and was wondering where I'm at.