Fireside Chat with Guero: a unique, tattooed, non-trad accepted applicant.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Guero

2QT2Bcis Plaidapus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, I'd like to thank NickNaylor for thinking up this method of efficient and personable dissemination.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=962611
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=968367

I really liked it, love helping out my fellow SDNers, and will pay it forward from this point all the way through the challenges of being an attending in whichever specialty I eventually pursue.

So, I'm still waiting to determine where I'll ultimately matriculate. But once I'm set, I'll hop on youtube to answer all of your questions. I foresee that moment coming sometime between now and July. But I'll relent and answer questions by the end of June if that happens. (Let's pray my top choice just says yes and doesn't waitlist me.)

Please peruse my MDApps to get an idea of me as an applicant. On a more personal level, I'm a 29 year old Caucasian male that was born and raised in Los Angeles (good and bad parts, from Inglewood to Redondo Beach). I experienced and witnessed a great deal of violence before moving out to Tennessee during the 7th grade in the mid 1990s, spending 10th through 12th grade on a secluded 170 acre farm in a rural community with a population of 300. So I've been in the inner city and rural 'Murica, witnessing the issues in both environments first-hand.

Feel free to ask away and to PM if you'd rather not have your name associated with your question. Please title your PM fireside chat so I know you're asking the question for the youtube special.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Final Product

http://youtu.be/RADfw6-DyHo
[YOUTUBE]RADfw6-DyHo[/YOUTUBE]
We've answered your questions from SDN. You'll notice me frequently looking off to the side or below. I'm not crazy, just talking to my gf. She was hiding the entire time until toward the end when she showed her face for all of 2 seconds, lol. Also, unfortunately NickNaylor didn't get a chance to contribute because his ISP lost the connection.

We'll continue to do a fireside chat annually to discuss what we learned during each step of medical school, perhaps throughout residency. We really enjoyed putting this together. Feel free to PM me regarding any clarifications.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Participants and Schools

Guero=UT (accepted scholarship to UT over top choice OHSU)
Ravizzle=Nova
DrStrange=pending, leaning Jefferson
Dudeliness=Western COMP-NW
IcognitoGuy= pending Ohio State or U Cinci

Question List

0:57 Sinombre: What do you know about the process now that you wish you had known before applying?

5:19 mmmmd: Do you predict that your experiences growing up in diverse communities will make you a better physician? why?

12:45 Goobs: My question would be how do you think you changed as an applicant during your post-college years and what do you think the pros and cons of being a non-trad are?

16:36 Doctor Strange: Also, you've been very open about having to take on a significant amount of pre-medical school debt. What have been the ramifications of this decision, and what plans do you have with regards to repayment?

24:29 Psychkub: As an older student, how have you changed your approach to studying? Do you do anything in particular to keep your mind sharp? (dsoz is far older)

29:40 The Beyonder: Would you apply DO again? What do you feel sets you apart from other applicants?

39:19 thesauce: What makes you unique (aside from being an older than average applicant) and what do your tattoos have to do with anything? Congrats on your acceptance.

39:47 LaPresse: I heard from somewhere that Vandy was lacking in its clinical skills--those taught to medical students in MS3 and MS4. Which schools generally have a reputation for superior clinical skills?
busy general hospital.

43:47 ObviouslyTeal: Question about the tattoos -- how extensive are they exactly? And what do you plan to do about cover up (if anything at all!) during med school and beyond? I wonder how much the general perspective on people with tattoos and piercings is changing now, especially in the medical field.

48:21 Calvinandhobbs68: How much did all those tats run you (total)?

48:53 plumazul: Have you seen the movie and/or read the book "The Illustrated Man", and if yes;
did you think it was a great book/movie, or the greatest book/movie you've ever seen/read? Also has the work of Ray Bradbury had any effect on your life?

49:49 mmmmd: please describe the process you went through in writing/crafting your personal statement and secondary application essays

1:03:18 pre-med 2014: As a non-trad did you find the interviewers to be particularly focused on your motivations to become a physician?

1:04:52 What do you feel adcomms greatest concerns are about career changers, late bloomers, non-trads, etc..., are they concerned about proper motivation, or ability to handle the rigor of med school?
and how would one best address those concerns during interviews/ in personal statements?

1:12:18 lobo12: Tips for MMI, how to prepare for interviews in general

1:25:50 What was your rational for the schools you applied.
How to determine if a schools are OOS friendly.
1:40 How different is the tmdsas and aacomas from amcas.
1:43:14 What was it in your app that adcoms liked the most.

1:50:45 acslater99: Might sound like a dumb question but, Once you apply to a certain school do you automatically get a secondary?

1:54:37 Parting thoughts

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
love it!

You need any help in the execution of this Guero, let me know! :)

First, I'd like to thank NickNaylor for thinking up this method of efficient and personable dissemination.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=962611
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=968367

I really liked it, love helping out my fellow SDNers, and will pay it forward from this point all the way through the challenges of being an attending in whichever specialty I eventually pursue.

So, I'm still waiting to determine where I'll ultimately matriculate. But once I'm set, I'll hop on youtube to answer all of your questions. I foresee that moment coming sometime between now and July. But I'll relent and answer questions by the end of June if that happens. (Let's pray my top choice just says yes and doesn't waitlist me.)

Please peruse my MDApps to get an idea of me as an applicant. On a more personal level, I'm a 29 year old Caucasian male that was born and raised in Los Angeles (good and bad parts, from Inglewood to Redondo Beach). I experienced and witnessed a great deal of violence before moving out to Tennessee during the 7th grade in the mid 1990s, spending 10th through 12th grade on a secluded 170 acre farm in a rural community with a population of 300. So I've been in the inner city and rural 'Murica, witnessing the issues in both environments first-hand.

Feel free to ask away and to PM if you'd rather not have your name associated with your question. Please title your PM fireside chat so I know you're asking the question for the youtube special.

Thanks for doing this! :biglove:

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there something I misunderstood or... you are a premed answering premed questions? I appreciate the time and effort, I'm just not sure I see the use?

(legit question)

Is there something I misunderstood or... you are a premed answering premed questions? I appreciate the time and effort, I'm just not sure I see the use?

(legit question)

The title itself says "accepted." I've not been a pre-med for quite sometime. ;)

(legit question)

Then don't participate if you don't want to.

(legit question)

Guero was never a premed to begin with

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you ever beat a man with your fists?

Do you look anything like your avatars?

Is that you in your avatar?

edit: oops

Do you predict that your experiences growing up in diverse communities will make you a better physician? why?

Last edited:
This is awesome! :) You should include a cameo of a special someone for us 2017ers ;) My question would be how do you think you changed as an applicant during your post-college years and what do you think the pros and cons of being a non-trad are?

Can this be a barside chat instead?

Also, you've been very open about having to take on a significant amount of pre-medical school debt. What have been the ramifications of this decision, and what plans do you have with regards to repayment?

As an older student, how have you changed your approach to studying? Do you do anything in particular to keep your mind sharp?

Great Idea!!! I would love to see something like this with a group of 2017'ers, especially those with monster stats (Tots, Kdizzle).

My question: Would you apply DO again? What do you feel sets you apart from other applicants?

I would like to hear the story behind some of the tattoos. If you are willing to share to the public and the story is not inappropriate.

Also hoping to hear about that "top choice school"

As an older student, how have you changed your approach to studying? Do you do anything in particular to keep your mind sharp?

*scoffs at older comment* I could have been his high school teacher... :rolleyes:

dsoz

*scoffs at older comment* I could have been his high school teacher... :rolleyes:

dsoz

Hahaha, calm down dsoz, I'm older than he is too... though not as old as you :p

I heard from somewhere that Vandy was lacking in its clinical skills--those taught to medical students in MS3 and MS4. ;)

Which schools generally have a reputation for superior clinical skills?

Great Idea!!! I would love to see something like this with a group of 2017'ers, especially those with monster stats (Tots, Kdizzle).

My question: Would you apply DO again? What do you feel sets you apart from other applicants?

:thumbup: I think it would be cool if something like this is done every year with the recent accepted class.

Guero,

What makes you unique (aside from being an older than average applicant) and what do your tattoos have to do with anything? Congrats on your acceptance.

Guero,

What makes you unique (aside from being an older than average applicant) and what do your tattoos have to do with anything? Congrats on your acceptance.

I read some preallo threads, and many premeds argued that tattoos in medicine = career disaster.

Hi Guero! So awesome of you to do this. I always love your comments.

Question about the tattoos -- how extensive are they exactly? And what do you plan to do about cover up (if anything at all!) during med school and beyond? I wonder how much the general perspective on people with tattoos and piercings is changing now, especially in the medical field.
My entire back is canvassed. As far as my arms, I only have one small area on the dorsal medial aspect of my right arm (triceps, medial biceps) that I've yet to tattoo. I also intend to fill in the small spaces between the arm tattoos with Celtic knot work on the left and perhaps on the right so that no skin is exposed (i.e., full sleeves). I also have tattoos on my chest and legs, but far less than my upper torso. I would post a great anonymous pic, but am restricted to size on the forum. I only have the pic on my fb, so I can't link it either. I'm only answering your question here because I don't intend to go shirtless during the chat. LoL I'll see if I can merge that pic into the YouTube video, though.

Guero,

If you're genuinely curious and not trying to poke fun at me, tune in and I'll divulge other aspects that make my application unique.

I see some great questions I look forward to answering. Please keep them coming.

My entire back is canvassed. As far as my arms, I only have one small area on the dorsal medial aspect of my right arm (triceps, medial biceps) that I've yet to tattoo. I also intend to fill in the small spaces between the arm tattoos with Celtic knot work on the left and perhaps on the right so that no skin is exposed (i.e., full sleeves). I also have tattoos on my chest and legs, but far less than my upper torso. I would post a great anonymous pic, but am restricted to size on the forum. I only have the pic on my fb, so I can't link it either.

:naughty: :naughty:

UPDATE 3/20/13

We will now be including several other c/o 2017ers for this Fireside Chat to better address recent AMCAS/MCAT changes and to share fresh information regarding our application experiences, more closely emulating NickNaylor's original broadcasts with several simultaneous guests. Also, NickNaylor himself will be joining us to answer your questions. So let those questions flow, fellow SDNers. Good luck to those of you still waiting to hear from schools as the 2012-2013 app cycle comes to an end and to those of you gearing up for the 2013-2014 cycle, some of which are unfortunately in both groups until final word comes in...I feel your pain.

Cheers!

OP, a question:

Have you seen the movie and/or read the book "The Illustrated Man", and if yes;
did you think it was a great book/movie, or the greatest book/movie you've ever seen/read?

Also has the work of Ray Bradbury had any effect on your life?

OP, a question:

Have you seen the movie and/or read the book "The Illustrated Man", and if yes;
did you think it was a great book/movie, or the greatest book/movie you've ever seen/read?

Also has the work of Ray Bradbury had any effect on your life?

I love ray bradbury. Fahrenheit 451 was an epic read

UPDATE 3/20/13

We will now be including several other c/o 2017ers for this Fireside Chat to better address recent AMCAS/MCAT changes and to share fresh information regarding our application experiences, more closely emulating NickNaylor's original broadcasts with several simultaneous guests. Also, NickNaylor himself will be joining us to answer your questions. So let those questions flow, fellow SDNers. Good luck to those of you still waiting to hear from schools as the 2012-2013 app cycle comes to an end and to those of you gearing up for the 2013-2014 cycle, some of which are unfortunately in both groups until final word comes in...I feel your pain.

Cheers!

:clap:

UPDATE 3/20/13

Cheers!

How does a fellow class of 2017er get in on this to be a part of the video if there is still room?

Sent from my Galaxy S2

How does a fellow class of 2017er get in on this to be a part of the video if there is still room?

Sent from my Galaxy S2
I know DocStrange and maybe Tots wanted to participate. You're welcome to hop on board. I'll post more info in our c/o 2017 thread when we get closer to the shoot.

I know DocStrange and maybe Tots wanted to participate. You're welcome to hop on board. I'll post more info in our c/o 2017 thread when we get closer to the shoot.

Thanks Guero. I'd love to hop on board.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

Ahhh I really hope Tots comes in! Thanks for doing this Guero!

Sent from my Galaxy S2

UPDATE 3/20/13

Cheers!

Count me in to assist w/ the chat, as well!