DAT 3 Week Ex Breakdown AA26

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimmpannzee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
FREEDOM AND SUCCESS NEVER FELT SO GOOD. Never have I been so proud of my accomplishment before! I studied for about 3 weeks (215 hours) and took the DAT 1/7/2013. Here are my unofficial scores!
attachment.php

PAT 22 (93.4%)
QR 30 (100%)
RC 23 (89.8%)
BIO 23 (97.4%)
GC 29 (99.7%)
OC 24 (95.7%)
TS 25 (99.5%)
AA 26 (100%)

Background: I am a Biology Major in my second year at Texas A&M College Station and will graduating in 2014. I currently have a Science GPA of 3.87 and an Overall GPA of 3.91. Do not let my GPA and scores throw you off! I truly believe that if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything. I would say that the DAT requires 10% luck, 20% brain and 70% HARDWORK. In my opinion, the best time to take the DAT is right after taking classes corresponding to the DAT. I took both Bio and GC in my freshmen year, Organic I in the summer and Organic II fall semester. I was ready to tackle the DAT as soon as fall finals were through and begin studying in the winter break. Classes I thought were particularly helpful and gave me an edge in studying were: Intro to Biology I&II, Intro to Chemistry I&II, Organic I&II, Intro to Psychology, Statistics, Molecular Cell Biology, and Intro to Genetics. I do not think an extra Biology class is as beneficial to your TS score as to taking the DAT early while the science classes are still fresh in your head, but everyone is different. One of the best ways to prepare for the DAT is to do well in your science classes; work hard in college and it will pay off as you study for the DAT!

Materials:
Cliff’s AP Biology (3rd Edition) $12
Barron’s AP Biology (3rd Edition) $11
Chad’s Videos (30 Days) $40
DAT & MATH Destroyer $200
DATQVault (All Subjects) $100
Crack DAT PAT (Ace Edition) $103
Kaplan Blue Book (7th Edition) $45
Topscore $55
Achiever $70
Old College Books and Notes “Free”
SDN, 2007 ADA, Khan’s Academy Free

Yes studying for the DAT can be expensive, but so is dental school! Compared to Kaplan Course, the materials I used is a steal! Don't be cheap and don't regret anything, but be wise when choosing your study materials. I did not write in my books; I used sticky notes to take my quizzes and made myself separate test forms to write my answers on so that I can resell my books later. Any way to save money! :)

Studying: I’m the type of person who likes to work towards a goal by taking it one day at a time. Strangely enough, I do well when I cram as much knowledge as I can within a given time frame. I thought that by studying over a prolonged period of time, would make me lose my knowledge rather than improving, but everyone is different. Make sure you know what type of study habits work best for you and use it to your advantage. I was very determined to ace the DAT through sheer hard work and perseverance. As for my social life, I did not want any distractions from school and friends because a test as important as the DAT requires a great deal of focus. As a person who gets easily distracted, this meant no hanging out with friends, no gaming, no texting, no Facebook, no guitar, and a very bland winter break for me. I made a DAT Dropbox folder so that everywhere I went I had the option of studying on the go. It was quite a miserable and exhausting winter break, but the sacrifice was well worth it! Attached is a 3 week schedule I made for myself--I call it the 3 Week Express. Feel free to adapt the schedule to your needs. Managing my own schedule made me feel that I was fully in control of my studying and my future. Only you know yourself the best, so set realistic and achievable goals you know you can accomplish. I amassed over 215 hours, averaging anywhere from 8-12 hours a day. I also attached an excel sheet, the same one I used to organize myself and to track my overall progress. Know where you want to go and how you plan on getting there; a goal is useless without having a good plan.

Week 1 EXPOSURE: This week consisted of reviewing Biology by reading through both Cliff’s and Barron’s, watching Chad’s videos for GC, OC, and QR, learning how each section of the PAT worked by reading KBB, and finding methods and techniques for the PAT and RC on SDN.
Week 2 EXPERIENCE: After exposing myself to a general idea of how each section worked, I dove right into taking practice tests, using QVault, DAT Destroyer, Crack DAT PAT, and Math Destroyer. Every day was basically a mini DAT test and each day consisted of reviewing one major area of each subject. After three days I took my first Test Bundle (Topscore + Achiever) to see where I stood.
Week 3 EXCELL: I continued practicing, reviewing concepts and taking Test Bundles once every 3-4 days while tracking my improvements and weaknesses in my excel sheet. Improvement does not happen overnight. I spreaded out my Test Bundles where I had time to review concepts I was weak in before attempting the next practice test. Identify areas of weakness and master it. By the end of week three, I had gone over all of QVault test, all CDP tests, 10 Math Destroyer tests, ran through DAT Destroyer a second time and finished all practice tests.
Week 4 EXECUTE: Apply all of your knowledge and show the world how hard you studied!

BIO (23): Studied with Cliff’s and Barron’s; Practiced with QVault and DAT Destroyer; Supplemented with Campbell, Khan’s Academy and old class notes
The difficulty in Biology stems from the massive breadth and depth the subject has. Both AP books are very useful in covering most of the concepts found on the DAT. I recommend reading both as each book has its strength and weaknesses. Whatever is lacking in one book, the other one compliments it. I am more of a visual learning and preferred Barron’s as it had more pictures and diagrams I could relate to. The end-of-chapter questions found after each chapter are useful in identifying areas of weaknesses; I went over them twice and focused more on chapters I was weak on. There are a total of 5 AP tests each consisting of 100 problems found in the back of the books. I only got through 3 of them, but I suggest doing all of them if you have time. Qvault Bio was used to practice on timing and exposure to more questions. I saved questions I missed to go over again later. DAT Destroyer was difficult, but good at presenting main concepts presented in the solutions manual. I marked all questions I missed during the first Destroyer run and went over it again in the third week.
Testing: The questions I got ranged between common sense-laugh-out-loud easy to strangely specific. The key to doing well is to be able to recognize the myriad of biology key words and being able to eliminate erroneous answer choices. There was only one question I couldn’t recognize and had to flat-out guess, but the majority I say can be solved if you think calmly and recall your knowledge.

GC (29): Studied with Chad; Practiced with QVault and DAT Destroyer; Supplemented with old class notes
General Chemistry is my least favorite science class. Not as wide ranging as Bio, but make sure you master each of the major topics presented by Chad. Chad knows his stuff and I thought he did an excellent job explaining concepts as well as providing a great review. The quizzes found after each video are useful at testing your knowledge. I went over Chad’s videos once in the first week and on the third week repeated all of the quizzes. The tricky part about GC is that it’s not all about concepts like Bio or OC; you also need to know how to approach the math and calculation questions. I think that is why I made such a high score--math, a subject I do like, was involved--and the only way to improve on your math skills is through practice. Qvault does a good job balancing the amount of concept questions and math questions; use it to practice on your timing and getting more exposure, not as an indicator. Although DAT Destroyer was immensely more difficult that the actual test, make sure you understand why you get questions wrong. Making mistakes is not as important as learning from them. Destroyer is not meant to be used as an indicator; it is just a book--use it just as a study tool. Knowing how to do the hard math questions will make you laugh as you destroy the easy ones on the DAT.
Testing: The biggest surprise and score jump for me. There were a couple of lab questions I did not expect or study for, but you should be able to solve them. Know the concepts and know how to approach each math related questions and you will do great.

OC (24): Studied with Chad; Practiced with QVault and DAT Destroyer; Supplemented with old class notes
If I had to choose a science subject that I liked out of the DAT, it would be Organic Chemistry. My OC professor did a fantastic job presenting the subject. I studied OC the least out of the sciences because the information was still so fresh in my head--this allowed me to focus mainly on Bio and GC. Anything I was weak on, Chad presented and explained very well. The difficulty in OC comes from being able to apply your knowledge to seek the answer. It was like playing a problem solving game-connecting pieces of a puzzle. OC is a straightforward subject compared to Bio and GC-this reagent does this through this mechanism and gives this product. The key is to recognize what you are given, play detective and find out what happens or what happened. Questions will never be exactly the same like in Bio, but if you know how OC works you can predict the answer and pass with flying colors. Like always, Qvault for timing and practice and Destroyer for exposure. I went through Destroyer twice. Marked all of the questions missed in the first run and attempted them in the second run. There are a lot of reagents and reactions in OC, but just make sure you know the major ones, recognize the oddballs and just keep practicing.
Testing: I was a little disappointed in my score as I aiming for a 25 or higher since OC was my best score in practice tests, but I’ll settle for the trade for GC’s score. The questions I got were basic and straightforward, maybe too basic-I was sad that they didn’t have any of the fun reactions such as Grignard, Wittig, Aldol Condensation and such--the ones I actually studied for and solidly knew. Be able to recognize the major reactions and concepts and you will do great.

PAT (22): Intro with KBB; Practiced with CDP and Achiever (I see Qvault now has PAT practice tests)
I think to do well in this section is to think of it as a game; to improve your game you need to practice. In the first week I used KBB to introduce myself to each section of the PAT. Every day I would try to find strategies and techniques available on SDN to find one that worked best for me. Once I got a good grasp on each section I went straight into CDP. I was so stressed taking the first test that I could barely finish 2/3 of the first test. I seriously felt so sick I wanted to throw up and give up. I decided to take a day off to catch my breath, worked on my timing and kept on going. Don't overwork yourself. By the 5th test I was averaging 24-25 and perfected my HP and CC techniques. Don’t expect to become better by taking one PAT test. Practice makes better.
Testing: I am disappointed in myself because I expected at least a 23 on the PAT section, but I screwed up on my timing because I was surprised by the difficulty of KH and PF; these sections took so long I panicked on the other sections. Keep calm and play the game like always.

KH: Eliminate silly answer choices, visualize which faces to compare and choose the best answer. CDP is really easy because they don’t take into account proportions. Achiever is difficult but it represented the DAT better than CDP. The KH I got on test day was somewhere in between the two. The image quality was horrible and not as pretty in the CDP. I got a couple of skewed looking images that made me really scratch my head. Narrow down the answer choices, check for proportions, go with your gut and move on.

TFE: One of my stronger sections while practicing the PAT. The process of learning this section took the most time. Learn the rules, visualize each face, eliminate answer choices and choose the best answer. CDP was very good at preparing you for this section. Practice with Achiever and you’ll be good to go.

AR: In my opinion, one of the stupidest section ever. Why do I care if this angle differs by 3 degrees? My scores fluctuated many times as I couldn’t decide on a good strategy. In the end I had multiple techniques to choose from if one didn’t get the job done. I would first look at the answer choices and see which two to compare. Usually I would try to tackle the smallest and the biggest angles first. Methods I used were: Hill Technique (imagine riding a bike down one side of the angle), Slide Technique for obtuse angels (imagine if the angle was a slide, how steep the drop would be if you slide down), Rock Climb Technique (one leg acts as a vertical mountain and imagine how difficult would it be to reach the peak on the other leg), and Clock Technique for acute angles (one leg points to 12 o’clock and compare the minute hands). Experiment and choose a method that works for you or better yet, make a couple up like I did. On my DAT the angle legs were as long as two fingers. I was so used to comparing small legs found in CDP and Achiever that I had trouble distinguishing between longer size angles. Compare, eliminate and move on.

HP: I used the Line of Symmetry technique found on YouTube. Before attempting the problem I would take a second to “validate” a hole before entering an “X” onto my board. If there was no fold or paper behind the hole I would enter an “O” to remind myself that it is “invisible”. The “O” still gets reflected, but is not included in the answer choice. I used to take 12 minutes on HP but worked on my speed and got it down to 5 minutes. By the 5th CDP test I was getting near perfect scores. CDP prepares you well at perfecting your technique, but they do not prepare you for 1/3 folds found on the DAT-Achiever fills in this gap. On Test Day I made my grids for HP during the 15 minute tutorial. I had some really obscure holes where it was hard to decide which area the hole is actually closest to--it was like the hole was in the center of two possible holes. It could’ve been my imagination and adrenaline rush, but perfect your timing and technique and this should be one of your best sections.

CC: Most people use the Kaplan Tally Method, but I did not use anything besides counting with my fingers. I got pretty good to the point where I could be confident in my mental cube face counting and accuracy that speed was more beneficial than making sure all cubes added to the total number of cubes on a scratch sheet. I just needed to count 2-3 kinds of cubes, one at a time on my fingers and move on without relying on the scratch sheet. By the 5th test I was getting near perfect scores in less than 6 minutes. Use CDP and Achiever to perfect your techniques. The cubes on my DAT were very large compared to CDP and Achiever, but they were very easy to count faces and there were no illusion tricks. This section should also be one of your best.

PF: This is one of my weaker sections. It takes me a long time to visualize how faces are connected. There are so many different possibilities, shapes and patterns they can ask you! My only strategy was process of elimination. If faces add up to a possible answer I would double check once to make sure and continue. On the test, I thought it was harder than CDP and Achiever, but do your best and carry on.

RC (23): Intro with KBB; Practiced with QVault
English and writing are not my strengths and I accepted that. I used KBB to understand how the section worked and then did only 5 QVault RC tests. QVault RC is a miserable and boring read; the passages are way too long and not science based, but the questions asked were of okay representation. There are many RC methods out there; search SDN and find one that works for you--it shouldn’t take more than 3-4 practice tests to perfect your RC approach. I believe that RC and QR are just filler sections of the DAT- they are not as important as the science sections or PAT, but could be used to maximize your scores. Rather than worrying about how to make a high score in both sections I chose to maximize my mathematical strengths and minimize my reading weaknesses. I felt that a 1-2 point increase in RC does not compare to a 7-9 point increase in QR. I also thought reading as a skill cannot be improved in such a short amount of time. If I was not an avid reader to begin, I probably won’t be in 3 short weeks, but I could definitely work hard and turn into a math wizard. Once I was comfortable with my reading skills I stopped completely and focused more on the other DAT sections. Weigh your opportunity costs and chose the right approach you think will most benefit your score.
Testing: I went in dreading this section the most, but I was lucky enough to have three interesting passages on my DAT. I do have a weakness in reading, but I enjoy reading scientific passages. I got passages on Antibiotics, Herbal Medicine and Fractures that were nicely structured to use S&D and interesting enough to keep my attention. Each passage was roughly 14 paragraphs long. There were maybe 3-4 tone questions per passage that can be easily answered. Quickly skim read, read the questions carefully and answer them calmly.

QR (30): Intro with KBB and Chad; Practiced with QVault and Math Destroyer
I could be pulling an Asian card by saying I like math, but I believe that the QR section can be mastered by anyone willing to put effort into it. QR is basically about efficiency--recognizing the type of problem, identifying what the question is asking for and knowing how to solve it as quickly and as accurately as possible. To do that you need to practice on your speed and expose yourself to a variety of problems till you are confident in your math ability. KBB and Chad gives you nice overview on most concepts, but they lack depth. The only way to truly improve is through constant practice; with enough practice your math skills will become second nature. Math Destroyer does a great job in exposure to a variety of math problems. I did only 10 out of 14 Math Destroyer tests untimed. The reason why I did them untimed was to test which concepts I know well, find areas I need to work on, and to see if I could solve the problem without knowing the shortest route. Math Destroyer solutions were great at explaining problems as well as providing the right approach to solve the problem. Qvault on the other hand was used to practice timing and more exposure. Understanding why you get a question wrong and learning the right approach for the next time you encounter a similar question is key to doing well in QR.
Testing: Question ranged from straight forward easy algebra problems to harder word problems, but nothing was impossible to find out through problem solving. Solve the easy questions quickly and save the harder ones you don’t know how to solve for last. If you have time, a last resort is to plug and chug each answer choices to see if one works (I had to do this twice). Beware of laggy unresponsive calculators. Keep calm and stay focused.

Practice Tests: Topscore, Achiever, KBB and ADA 2007
I substituted Achiever’s PAT for Topscore’s when taking my Test Bundles. Overall Topscore was definitely useful in improving your scores, but never take tests scores too seriously as there is no test that will accurately stimulate the real DAT than the DAT itself. As long as you show improvement, then you are one step closer to reaching a higher score on the real thing. If I had more time I would have gone through all of Achiever’s sections as well as ADA 2009. I saved KBB and ADA 2007 for last and took both of them 2-3 days before my test as a confidence booster; ironically they were the closest match to my AA score!

Test Day: On the day before my test I had a light study day of 5 hours. I reviewed Alan’s Bio notes, Chad’s GC and OC outlines, Orgo roadmaps, PAT techniques, RC strategies, and QR equations I complied into my DAT binder over the three weeks. I picked up my guitar after 3 weeks to just play a little and calm myself. I tried getting a good night’s rest, but only managed to get 5-6 hours of sleep. I was nervous, but I did not fear the DAT. I think you are prepared when you get to the point where you are not scared of taking the DAT, but rather excited just to get it over with-FREEDOM was on the other side! My test was scheduled at 8AM and was about 40 minutes away from my house. I woke up at 6AM to get ready and ate two eggs and two toasts for breakfast. I wore a comfortable pair of jeans and a sweater. When I arrived at Prometric Center the staff was very kind and the process was very smooth, but the rooms were so cold! I could have sworn it was at least 60F; I could not stop shivering even with my thick sweater on! I was given two laminated scratch paper and two fine-point markers. At break I ate grapes and drank Gatorade, went to the restroom and exchanged for new scratch paper. The test overall seemed very doable; 5 hours was nothing compared to my study regime of 8-12 hours. Taking the test was just like going through any other day of my week, taking it one section at a time, focusing on the section at hand and moving forward.

Final Thoughts: My dad always tells me, “When you put your mind to it, anything can be accomplished.” I believed with my whole heart that through determination, perseverance and hard work I could achieve my goal. I can’t thank my family and friends enough because they believed in me at times I thought I couldn’t do it. Shout out to Glimmer1991 for being one of the only person who helped guide me towards how to study. I hope my breakdown is of some use or motivation to anyone willing to work hard towards their goal and pursue a career in dentistry. I plan to apply to all three Texas schools for Fall 2014 admission and will be working on my application soon. If you have any questions please feel free to ask! Thanks for reading and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• IMG_1354.JPG
    IMG_1354.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 4,917
  • DAT Study Schedule.docx
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,919
  • DAT Statbook.xlsx
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,165
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
WOW Great scores! With only 3 weeks of studying you did super amazing! Congratulations!

These are some AWESOME SCORES! I'm replying on my iPhone so this won't be long-winded, but seriously, this is an amazing feat. It sure does stink to spend a break doing this, but man, it can really pay off.

You've given lots of sound advice here, and I think lots of people will benefit from this breakdown. Put it in your signature! Welcome to the world of DAT-advice-givers on this site. :) It feels good to be on that side of the hump!!

Also, your Dad sounds a lot like mine; my parents' support seriously keeps me going sometimes.

Once again, congratulations, and thank you for this awesome breakdown! You killed it!

Members don't see this ad :)
You did an AMAZING job and absolutely TERRIFIC SCORES. I'd LOVE to have your stats haha. I have my test this Friday and I've only been able to study for 3 weeks (my school ended late but is starting early). You've given me hope that I'm not doomed! Haha, again, GREAT JOB!

Thank you for your kind words of praise everyone! I would love to have my own signature-I sent an email to the Help Center asking why I can't edit my signature and they told me I don't met the minimum membership threshold? "The purpose of these thresholds is to limit spam users from advertising and it is our policy not to publish these threshold limits." Basically told me no with no, lol. I guess the only way to reach my exotic piece of spam is through here or if I ever get on La DATélisse! :)
Thanks for the heads up Elliott D and good luck hl4jn!

Killer job! I stand corrected....I didn't know I was giving advice to a genius. I would say good luck but you obviously don't need it ( ;

Congrats man!!! What were the topics of your reading comprehension jimmpannzee (when I say this I mean broad topics like genetics, molecular biology, food nutrition, etc)? I take my exam on the 19th. Wonder if we will have the same exam...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hah wow just re-read through your breakdown and you already answered my question! Anyway congrats again man killer scores!

Excellent scores and a very detailed breakdown. Solid effort. Congratulations.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Do you think you need a lot of vocabulary knowledge to do well on the RC?

Do you think you need a lot of vocabulary knowledge to do well on the RC?

I think I have a weaker background in English and writing, but this is reading comprehension. I also think I have a smaller word bank than most people, but I do not think you require an extensive vocabulary knowledge to do well, but it does help a bit if you do. It can only benefit you if you are an avid reader or have a great background in English, but not required. While I was studying I chose not to worry about my English skills too much. Do whatever makes you comfortable with your RC skills and good luck!

Last edited:
Could you please tell us more about QR section? I want to know appx number of probability /permutations questions. Were these type of questions harder than math destroyer or easier? Thanks for reply. Awesome score and breakdown!!

Could you please tell us more about QR section? I want to know appx number of probability /permutations questions. Were these type of questions harder than math destroyer or easier? Thanks for reply. Awesome score and breakdown!!

I believe I had one or two probability and permutations/combination questions. It doesn't matter how many questions of each type of math problem you will get but rather how well you know how to solve them. I would focus more on learning the right approaches to each math problem than learning the QR statistics found on the DAT. I would say that the majority of the questions are easier or on par with Math Destroyer. Be prepared for anything that they will throw at you; "expect the best, prepare for the worst." Good luck!

Wowie, you ROCKED the DAT! Congratulations!!! Thank you for providing us with your breakdown, I truly admire your tenacity in your preparation! I am retaking the DAT this year, and your information is very helpful!

A little about myself: I am a non-traditional student in my early 30s with a MPH-Epidemiology degree. After working for a few yrs in public health, I decided to pursue my dream profession ( Public Health Dentistry/ Community Dentistry). Believe me it has been a long journey for me to get to this point of finally doing it. I sometimes wish that I did it sooner but know that my experiences as unique as they are has prepared me for the challenges of Dental School. On a personal note: When I took the DAT for the 1st time ever in 2011, my preparation was foolish (only took the Kaplan course, and Cliff bio, chem,), more foolish now that I have seen what other people have been doing to prepare for it and the scores they accomplished. It's not to excuse myself for my poor results (DAT : TS=18), but it was over 10 yrs that I had Bio, GC, OC, and for this reason I am now retaking these courses as most Dental Schools want the pre-req to be no more than 5-10yrs old. So I agree with you in that taking the DAT right after taking the courses related to the DAT is the best & smartest idea! But if your like myself who is a non-traditional applicant, doing this is not ideal unless you had the courses past the limit amount of acceptable time as I did.

Although it's a bit frustrating (b/c of expense & time) to retake courses once taken and passed with "A's & B's" grades, it's eventually going to help me better prepare for the DAT. Alright, all the best to you with your Dental School applications!! I am sure you will also be as successful in the admission process! By the way are you applying in 2013 or 2014?

Wowie, you ROCKED the DAT! Congratulations!!! Thank you for providing us with your breakdown, I truly admire your tenacity in your preparation! I am retaking the DAT this year, and your information is very helpful!

A little about myself: I am a non-traditional student in my early 30s with a MPH-Epidemiology degree. After working for a few yrs in public health, I decided to pursue my dream profession ( Public Health Dentistry/ Community Dentistry). Believe me it has been a long journey for me to get to this point of finally doing it. I sometimes wish that I did it sooner but know that my experiences as unique as they are has prepared me for the challenges of Dental School. On a personal note: When I took the DAT for the 1st time ever in 2011, my preparation was foolish (only took the Kaplan course, and Cliff bio, chem,), more foolish now that I have seen what other people have been doing to prepare for it and the scores they accomplished. It's not to excuse myself for my poor results (DAT : TS=18), but it was over 10 yrs that I had Bio, GC, OC, and for this reason I am now retaking these courses as most Dental Schools want the pre-req to be no more than 5-10yrs old. So I agree with you in that taking the DAT right after taking the courses related to the DAT is the best & smartest idea! But if your like myself who is a non-traditional applicant, doing this is not ideal unless you had the courses past the limit amount of acceptable time as I did.

Although it's a bit frustrating (b/c of expense & time) to retake courses once taken and passed with "A's & B's" grades, it's eventually going to help me better prepare for the DAT. Alright, all the best to you with your Dental School applications!! I am sure you will also be as successful in the admission process! By the way are you applying in 2013 or 2014?

You are very welcome! It makes me very happy knowing that people out there are benefiting from my experiences with the DAT. It sounds like you've got yourself a great plan and you know how I like plans! :) Do not think of yourself as foolish in the past; recognizing your mistakes and having the will to to improve makes you successful in life in my eyes. You have a unique background and at least 10 years more experience of the world than I do-I'm sure it will come in handy! It will be difficult, but I believe you can do it! I'm applying for Fall 2014 admission. Good luck to you too!

Do you think Chad gave you justmsome general knowledge, or he really helped you answer some questions? Does he offer any practise questions.

Do you think Chad gave you justmsome general knowledge, or he really helped you answer some questions? Does he offer any practise questions.

Yes, Chad did help me on the DAT. Any knowledge you can get your hands on will help you no matter what, but it is wise to study efficiently and effectively; Chad is the epitome of efficient and effective review. Like I said in my breakdown, I thought Chad did a wonderful job explaining GC and OC as well as providing plenty of excellent quiz questions to test your knowledge. Know the concepts presented by Chad and know how to do his quizzes and you should be good to go. Good luck!

Thank you so much for this amazing schedule. I was wondering, my QR is extremely poor and i don't know how to improve it. Any advice other then using the Math DAT destroyer?

Thank you so much for this amazing schedule. I was wondering, my QR is extremely poor and i don't know how to improve it. Any advice other then using the Math DAT destroyer?

Keep in mind that the study schedule I made for myself was geared towards a person of my background; they were goals I set myself that I believe I could achieve each day. I had a fresh science background, minimal reading abilities, above average math skills and a fierce determination to well. It was rough and exhausting, but perseverance is key. There isn't a "one size fits all" schedule out there. Everyone is different so make sure you adjust and modify your schedule to fit you personally.

I was confident in my math abilities so I just jumped into Math Destroyer after reviewing KBB and Chad. I would have done all of the practice tests in DAT Destroyer as well if I had more time. I never really had a problem with math, but I understand how you would feel if I were in your position. I would try maybe looking into Khan Academy, finding a friend or tutor to help you, searching the web and just keep practicing. Math is just a skill-the more pratice you do the better you will become, but the point is that you understand the mistakes you make and the approach of solving math problems; the numbers and the wordings will be different, but the approach is more or less the same. I wished I could be of more help to you, maybe search SDN and see how others with similar background improved their QR. Good luck!

I want to bump this breakdown. The statbook, schedule, and section by section breakdown are incredible.

Question:
I was browsing the statbook and saw at the bottom you have QR Destroyer scores like 24, 26, 22, etc... did you use Math Destroyer, then use a conversion chart of some sort for these scores? Or were they raw, like 26/40... I'm assuming the former, based on your QR score. Beast!

I want to bump this breakdown. The statbook, schedule, and section by section breakdown are incredible.

Question:
I was browsing the statbook and saw at the bottom you have QR Destroyer scores like 24, 26, 22, etc... did you use Math Destroyer, then use a conversion chart of some sort for these scores? Or were they raw, like 26/40... I'm assuming the former, based on your QR score. Beast!

Thanks! I hope you benefit from the breakdown! And yes I converted my scores using KBB or the ADA conversion chart. Don't be discouraged if you make a low score at first; if you keep practicing and improving then you are on the right track! I started off with 19s and made my way up from there, taking little discouragement from 1-2 point drops. As long as I made an upward trend then in theory I'm making more progress and a better score than I would have without all the hard work! Good luck!

Can you answer Destroyer questions after going through Chad's stuff?

Can you answer Destroyer questions after going through Chad's stuff?

I took down all chads videos and quizzes (some several times) before opening destroyer. Destroyer is a lot harder than chads quizzes, but if you just dive in expecting to get 50%'s it becomes a doable process. On my second time through the book I'm scoring much, much better. Use it as a learning process, not an indicator of your success.

I took down all chads videos and quizzes (some several times) before opening destroyer. Destroyer is a lot harder than chads quizzes, but if you just dive in expecting to get 50%'s it becomes a doable process. On my second time through the book I'm scoring much, much better. Use it as a learning process, not an indicator of your success.
:thumbup:

Destroyer was definitely and extremely difficult. After going through Chad's videos, I dove right into Destroyer. As you can see from my Statsbook I started off pretty horribly, but I did not let that faze me. Improvement was what I aimed for, not a perfect score. If you feel like you have a solid grasp and understanding of Chad then you are good to go with Chemistry. Destroyer was used as an add-on, not used as an indicator as free99 said. Good luck!

Thank so much for the study schedule!

What's the best way to modify this schedule into a 6 or 8 week schedule?
Is DAT for OC included in the DAT destroyer? (I bought a DAT destroyer and a Math destroyer).

Thank so much for the study schedule!

What's the best way to modify this schedule into a 6 or 8 week schedule?
Is DAT for OC included in the DAT destroyer? (I bought a DAT destroyer and a Math destroyer).

I would take a look at dentalWork's 6-8 week schedule and use both schedules and modify them to fit you personally. Study at your own pace, but study effectively!

Yes, OC is included in Destroyer. Good luck!

Amazing scores! I have about a month left and I am planning on following your bootcamp routine lol and I'll customize it as I go. Couple questions tho!

As you were studying from Cliffs/Barrons/KBB/Destroyers/Achieve/Topscore, did you write notes, make flash cards or purely memorized?

How valuable/helpful Qvault was to you? I do believe that it is necessary for QR b/c like you said its all about practice in that section but do you think going through that DAT destroyer math and Math destroyer (both books) would be sufficient instead of Qvault?

Also out of curiosity why didn't you postpone your DAT January date to give yourself more time to practice? since it was so early even before the new cycle started.

I am on my second day, this schedule is kicking my butt!!! thank you so much for posting this!

Amazing scores! I have about a month left and I am planning on following your bootcamp routine lol and I'll customize it as I go. Couple questions tho!

As you were studying from Cliffs/Barrons/KBB/Destroyers/Achieve/Topscore, did you write notes, make flash cards or purely memorized?

How valuable/helpful Qvault was to you? I do believe that it is necessary for QR b/c like you said its all about practice in that section but do you think going through that DAT destroyer math and Math destroyer (both books) would be sufficient instead of Qvault?

Also out of curiosity why didn't you postpone your DAT January date to give yourself more time to practice? since it was so early even before the new cycle started.

Given that I only had 3 weeks to study, I chose not to write down notes or use flash cards (I am a slow writer and thought I'd waste too much precious time), rather I decided to force myself to memorize as much information as I can by repetition. Some people learn better writing things down, others like me just have to make sure they are presented with the information multiple times. Do what fits best for you.

For QR, Math Destroyer was my best friend. After learning most of the math gimmicks, I chose to do a couple Qvault tests in order to have more exposure and practice with timing. It's your choice to use whatever study material you want. Looking back I felt like I used Qvault as more of a DAT simulation to focus more on timing and mimic a clock countdown for pressure; however Bio Qvault was very good at presenting other material not found in Destroyer/Cliffs/Barrons.

I didn't postpone my DAT date for a couple reasons. I felt that if I waited too long, all the information I gained from my undergrad classes would start to disappear. Sure I gave up my winter break, but my ochem reactions were fresh in my head. By the end of my 3 week study I just wanted to get the DAT over with. Starting spring semester with a DAT-fried brain wasn't fun, but it was well worth it!

I am on my second day, this schedule is kicking my butt!!! thank you so much for posting this!

Lol I remember when I started my insane schedule too :laugh:. The first couple days were pretty rough! But you get used to it. Make sure you don't over study; take breaks or skip a day if you need too. Good luck!

I know this is an old post, but this is golden. Thank you so much! I hope you got in your dream dental school!
The comprehensives schedule is very helpful! maybe I'll do a similar one but 2 weeks for exposure instead of 1
Thank you!