A Word From the President: MCAT2015: An Open Letter to Pre-Med Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parthianone

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
an interesting article from the aamc on the mcat.

https://www.aamc.org/newsroom/reporter/march2012/276772/word.html

A Word From the President: MCAT2015: An Open Letter to Pre-Med Students

AAMC Reporter: March 2012

Dear future physician,
What will the health system of the future look like? What kind of physicians will it require?
While no one can answer these questions precisely, important shifts under way in health care make our response more relevant than ever. Our profession increasingly recognizes that our current health care model needs to do more to promote prevention and wellness for patients. Our nation is growing, aging, and becoming increasingly diverse, so physicians of the future must be more culturally competent. And patients, especially those with chronic conditions, will need a "medical home" in which their providers work as unified teams to coordinate their care, instead of the current fragmented approach.
In short, the health system of tomorrow will require a different kind of physician. And that is why, in 2015, there will be a new Medical College Admission Test® (MCAT®).
For more than 80 years, the MCAT exam has been a valuable predictor of students' academic success in medical school. The coming changes to the test will make it an even better exam, by helping medical schools identify not only the students who are the most academically prepared to become physicians, but also those who have the potential to become the best doctors.
One of the biggest changes to the test in 2015 that will help medical schools make this assessment is a new section, the "Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior." Testing students' understanding of these areas is important, because being a good physician is about more than scientific knowledge. It is about understanding people—how they think, interact, and make decisions. Together with a solid foundation in the natural sciences, an understanding of behavior, perception, culture, poverty, and other concepts from psychology and sociology all contribute to the well-rounded physician. Of course, we want our doctors to understand how chemical compounds interact so our prescriptions do not have adverse interactions. But we also want our doctors to have good bedside manner, communication skills, and an ability to interact with people. After nearly 60 years, I still remember my pediatrician, Dr. Bramley—not for his class rank or MCAT exam score, but for his kindness, compassion, and how much he truly cared.
This change does not mean that the MCAT2015 will take the focus off core concepts from the natural sciences. The new test will still have two natural science sections, but the content will be updated to stay current with the exponential growth of medical knowledge, focusing on the areas medical school educators and students think are most important for medical school. Along with some new topics in biology, chemistry, and physics, concepts that are taught at many colleges in first-semester biochemistry will be tested in two sections: "Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems" and "Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems."
Thinking about the rapid increases in medical knowledge brings me to another feature of the 2015 exam: the new "Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills" section, which is designed to help medical schools assess how you think by asking you to analyze passages from a wide range of disciplines, including ethics, philosophy, cultural studies, and even population health. No longer is it humanly possible to memorize every fact relevant to the practice of medicine. What is more important for physicians of the future is an ability to think critically and to have the necessary reasoning skills to know where to seek answers and how to solve problems in the clinical environment.
One of the most pressing questions I am sure you have, is how you can prepare for the MCAT2015. While the revised test is still a few years away, we recognize that it will have an effect on what courses you take as an undergraduate if you are beginning college as early as fall 2012. The MCAT2015 Preview Guide is an excellent place to start your preparation. This resource gives detailed information on each of the test's four sections and even includes sample questions. The Official Guide to MCAT2015 will be released in 2014, along with a full-length practice exam. Another practice test will be available in 2015. We also are working closely with undergraduate health professions advisors to teach them new ways to help you best plan your studies.
You may be wondering how each of the four sections will be weighted in the admissions process. We intend to leave this decision to the individual medical schools, because some focus on training the next generation of physician-scientists and others seek to strengthen the primary care workforce. Because of this difference in focus, these institutions are likely to weigh the MCAT exam sections differently, according to their core mission. The AAMC's Medical School Admissions Requirements, an online resource that provides extensive information about each medical school, can help you select a school that fits your goals and aspirations.
Though the MCAT exam is the gateway to a career in medicine and other health professions, we at the AAMC see it as just one resource in what will become a suite of tools that help schools assess applicants like you more holistically. We are thinking in new ways about evaluating letters of recommendation and how to measure the personal attributes vital to medicine, such as empathy, dependability, and integrity. We also are helping schools transform the medical school interview process to get to know who you are, in addition to what you know.
Let me be among the first to congratulate you on considering a career in medicine. Becoming a doctor is one of the most rewarding career paths I can imagine. I wish you success, and I can assure you that the AAMC will serve as a resource on your journey to becoming a physician.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So glad I don't have to take this. Best to those that do. If it were me right on the bubble of 2015 being my junior year I'd probably take a gap year and take this in 2016 so I have a better handle on what this is going to hammer me with.

First thoughts immediately after reading thread title

1314672364870.jpg

Did not read. Glad it's over and done.

Members don't see this ad :)
so glad that I'm done with that garbage.

Well, this will get interesting... :rolleyes:

Here's a piece that's telling:

Science Discipline:
 First-semester biochemistry : 25%
 Introductory biology: 65%
 General chemistry: 4%
 Organic chemistry: 6%

That's the approximate proportion of questions that will be on the BS section. Note organic is down to 6% and now biochemistry is up to 25.

I should add that this document includes lots of sample questions (maybe 15-20ish?) for each section, including the new psychological, sociological, behavioral side. It looks like it's going to take an already beastly test and make it even more beastly. Lord help those who have to take it.

Last edited:
The MCAT is currently a stupid waste of brain power.... looks like it will only get worse....

Anyone got tldr version

It's a changing world with changing demands on doctors so we changed the MCAT too to reflect those new demands on doctors (competence in psychosocial side of things in addition to natural/physical side). We like this test.

How does the MCAT verbal suggest one has the "ability to think critically and to have the necessary reasoning skills to know where to seek answers and how to solve problems in the clinical environment"? How can one test help one make this conclusion? Isn't this a leap? How does scanning a convulted passage on zombo art help me know how to seek solutions to problems? Or analyzing a somewhat complicated genetics passage?

I have seen high scorers in verbal who do poor or mediocre in the sciences, despite the fact the science sections are all passage-based, especially the biological sciences. The impact of the MCAT is VASTLY over-stated. A friend of mine--first exam = 28; adcom at top school said "go take a prep course". His new score = 37. I don't think his mental abilities changed in 3 months. Indeed, most residents/attendings tell me the first two years of medical school are weak in predicting who will be a good physician able to "solve problems in the clinical environment".

He should just admit the MCAT is a test designed to whittle down the applicant pool and they've just found a better way to do it. My biological sciences section would've favored a "smart" but lazy student. I memorized very little and scored a 34Q on the test with 2 weeks of prep (<50 hrs total prep). However to pass my medical school exams, I have to spend a lot of time memorizing minutiae. I still think the MCAT is harder to study for as it's not really based on memorizing, and while it does suggest some intellectual ability, it's dubious to claim it's meaningful as regards clinical skills. One the smartest persons I know couldn't score more than 28.

Here's a piece that's telling:

That's the approximate proportion of questions that will be on the BS section. Note organic is down to 6% and now biochemistry is up to 25.

I should add that this document includes lots of sample questions (maybe 15-20ish?) for each section, including the new psychological, sociological, behavioral side. It looks like it's going to take an already beastly test and make it even more beastly. Lord help those who have to take it.

Agree, looked at the bio and biochemistry section and im pretty sure most of its require additional classes like genetics, cell biology and second semester of biochemistry. Hmm, good luck to anyone that take it in 2015, luckily for me, im taking in 2013 (no writing!!!!!!!!!)

Members don't see this ad :)
glad ill have my pre reqs done next year so i can take if spring 2014....

I really hate the move to requiring biochemistry. It increases the lag time between when you decide you want to go to medical school and when you finish all your prerequisites. Not everyone knows day one of college they want to go to medical school.

Biochemistry isn't any harder than any other class in medical school. I have friends who have freaking masters degrees in biochem and they aren't doing any better than me on the tests. Like any class it tests your ability to remember everything on the slides and then regurgitate it, with some critical thinking about how different concepts interact. There is plenty of time to learn the material during school.

As for the new "touchy feely" section--give me a break. Whether I take a psych or sociology class and can regurgitate the names of theories doesn't have any correlation at all to my sympathy, compassion, or willingness to sacrifice my time to help others.

This is just like the business schools switching over to teach more ethics classes after the Enron scandal. You don't teach ethics--people either act ethically or they don't.

Well I'm screwed.. Oh we'll so is everyone else taking it.. Shooting for percentile!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app please excuse punctuation and spelling

Oh god...Don't tell me...New Prerequisites?!?!

Anyone got tldr version

tl;dr: There's nothing to show that the current MCAT does an inadequate job of serving as an entrance exam for medical school. The new MCAT is beyond asinine and the AAMC are a bunch of money-sucking leeches.

I like the changes, however I feel it will narrow the ug major of pre-meds more, even if it's just slight. Just something to keep in mind.

Is there a big reason why they're so intent on having that psycho/social part of the exam? :confused: Didn't check the questions, but do they feel physicians don't socialize well with patients? What exactly is their concern that pushed them to change the test?

Is there a big reason why they're so intent on having that psycho/social part of the exam? :confused: Didn't check the questions, but do they feel physicians don't socialize well with patients? What exactly is their concern that pushed them to change the test?

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/mcat2015/

Read up buddy.

Ugh, I won't be able to take the MCAT until 2015, after I've finished doing post-bacc work. I don't mind the changes, but what I think sucks the most is not having as many prep materials that an older, well-established test would have. Although, I did take the new GRE about a year after it was released, and that actually wasn't too bad. The books were just a bit error ridden, which I assume is because they had to get them out so quickly.

Oh god...Don't tell me...New Prerequisites?!?!

Not officially, but you will definitely want to take pysch, socio, and biochem, so pretty much

Why don't they replace the MCAT with a Yu-Gi-Oh trading card tournament?

I've taken a lot of classes integrating the humanities and medicine:

English and Literature
Sociology of Healthcare Care Systems
Philosophy of Healthcare

and essentially entire books can be written about the critiques of medicine. From a sociological sense, valid arguments are being made that social considerations are being underplayed and there is a medicalization (the process where a problem is made a medical problem and thus needs a medical solution giving physicians more power or leverage in society). There are 100's of more examples of how an understanding of sociology can potentially better a physician but for the sake of time look at the literary side of things. I recommend you take a look at "The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down; A Hmong Child, Her American Doctors, and The Collision of Two Cultures" by Anne Fadiman as well as The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Gilman, and W;t by Margaret Edson. These emphasize a lack of concern for the patients well being. From a philosophical standpoint, there's also a huge discussion being placed on patient autonomy.

So...

"We find that years of obsessive training in hard sciences has produced some cold, detached, burned-out doctors, and we think the MCAT is to blame. To solve this, we're expanding the number of prerequisites and requiring that you spend more time in the classroom instead of out interacting with people less like yourself. We believe that maximizing classroom time and minimizing extracurricular time will make you more able to be compassionate and empathetic to patients. We explicitly suggest that studying for the MCAT will improve your communication skills to emphasize just how insane this is.

"We also have a critical analysis section, which sounds almost entirely like 'do you have the ability to google stuff you don't know,' but we've expanded this to an almost irresponsible end. We believe that testing your ability to think critically and come up with the answers we say are correct will prove how diverse you are, and demonstrate your ability to think outside the box, bringing perspective and value to the medical community."

Kinda like that?

Last edited by a moderator:
So...

"We find that years of obsessive training in hard sciences has produced some cold, detached, burned-out doctors, and we think the MCAT is to blame. To solve this, we're expanding the number of prerequisites and requiring that you spend more time in the classroom instead of out interacting with people less like yourself. We believe that maximizing classroom time and minimizing extracurricular time will make you more able to be compassionate and empathetic to patients. We explicitly suggest that studying for the MCAT will improve your communication skills to enunciate just how insane this all is."

See tl;dr if you dont wanna read all this:

You bring up a good point I was thinking about earlier today. The thing is that even though there are more pre-requisites, does that mean you have to spend more time in the classroom? What I think this new MCAT does is prevent students from getting to medical school without at least having a baseline awareness of all of the aforementioned issues I mentioned. Also, I think it's a good idea that it's coming through the MCAT that everyone takes because though you can require psych at a university, but just like there's variation in gen bio, chem, and physics there's bound to be variation in a psychology course which can range from a class that requires critical thinking to online classes where students have to memorize bolded words in the textbook before exams. It's either the MCAT or possibly some kind of class sponsored by the AAMC in which students have to be exposed to these things, however, I feel that if that other class idea was imposed, it would lead to more problems than solutions. Something that I think that can be done to allow more social interactions (this is just an idea, I'm not saying this is right) is to reduce the # of boxes students have to check. For example, LORs these days from science profs in a class of 400 is turning into a formality where a student basically does well in the class, goes to the profs office hours, feigns interest, the proceeds to ask for a letter (where he/she basically has the prof read his/her resume and some things he or she has prepared)-this take time! Also, surprisingly, actually going to class is a huge time constraint on some students. It introduces a rigidity some students would do better without. For example, I often skip classes but lectures are recorded online so I view them at the time I find convenient and therefore have more free time in the day. I'm literally not missing a single thing (this is something that would have to be reformed at the UG level). Going to class means getting up, getting ready to look presentable in a social setting, walking through crowded areas, etc. For some discussion based classes, this is important, however for most of the pre-req classes (unless they're taught very well) consist of lecturing on solely technical material which can be listened to at home without any detraction from its value. Other box checkers (which are ironically ECs that are supposed to enrich the student's experiences) which take even more time are clinical volunteering and research which are oftentimes students volunteering in labs and hospital settings for namesake. I'm not saying clinical experience is not important because it's INTEGRAL. I'm just saying maybe the requirements could be eased a bit to allow students to follow their passions; if they like working in a lab why do they need to do research? The argument could be made that students need to try things to get out of their comfort zones which is definitely valid but as we all know, due to increased admission demands, instead of merely testing the waters, many students are trying to make their CVs look better by working in a lab for a year just for namesake. Another things that might ensure that students are actually getting a quality experience from their ECs, med schools could be requiring students to get a letter from their supervisor where the supervisor assesses their progress in volunteering/research so things aren't done for namesake. Also, maybe less emphasis can be placed on the academic numbers and more schools can do a holistic approach. This might stress people out less and let students go out and experience life more.

tl;dr
I disagree with your claim that social/psychological issues should not be on the MCAT because the MCAT today remains the only thing that every medical student has to go through to be admitted therefore this way all applicants will at least have some exposure to sociology/psychology because issues in these fields are pertinent to healthcare. I think, instead, there are numerous formalities like letters of rec, in-class lectures, required clinical activities, and etc. which are more of a formality and suck up a lot of time. In a medical school's defense, they technically say they don't require those things but then again, if you read the MSAR you'd realize they definitely help. We might want to consider reforming these things before we keep hating on the changes made on the MCAT.

Just my $0.02.

EDIT: After further thought, you're probably right about the increase in classroom time this causes because obviously with more reqs, you've got more classes you have to take which leads to taking less classes you want to take out of interest. Maybe another solution would be to have the AAMC publish a certain amount of reading material (keep it brief, say like a 100 pages- this is seriously not that much) and then assess students with this in some way similar to VR to make sure they understand the point. Maybe the reading material could actually be interesting and in the form of a novel based of a true story. Or it could also be based of case studies that show actual examples where cultural competency helped in a clinical situation.

Last edited:
Flash forward 10 years from now:

"After exhaustive study and careful consideration, we have determined that a very strong comprehension of basic sciences is, in fact, more important to the new medical student than a bunch of touchy-feely gunk that can be parroted by any liberal arts major. We are trying to determine what this means and how it relates to the future of medicine, and hope to have a couple hand-picked focus groups present us with an acceptable answer in the next three to five years. Until then, please continue to take this test which fails to accurately determine who is actually cut out for med school and who is not."

See tl;dr if you dont wanna read all this:
tl;dr
I disagree with your claim that social/psychological issues should not be on the MCAT because the MCAT today remains the only thing that every medical student has to go through to be admitted therefore this way all applicants will at least have some exposure to sociology/psychology because issues in these fields are pertinent to healthcare. I think instead there are numerous formalities like letters of rec, in-class lectures, required clinical activities, and etc. which are more of a formality and suck up a lot of time. We might want to consider reforming these before we keep hating on the changes made on the MCAT.

Just my $0.02.

I read the whole thing, and I respect your opinion on it. However, I think letters of recommendation can be substantial, in-class lectures are a university problem and not something medical schools have any input on, clinical/volunteer activities aren't officially required (so there's no requirement to officially remove, and indeed some schools don't focus too much on it), research is designed to ensure you have the ability to understand evidence-based medicine and read actual journal articles (a skill most don't encounter outside of a laboratory experience)...

I think where I disagree most, though, is the idea that if we give schools a number by which they can rank students, they may review students "holistically" on only certain parts of that number, or won't use that number to the furthest length they can take it. I think the problem lies in the AAMC's attempting to quantify what should be unquantifiable (ability to empathize/be compassionate toward patients, ability to reason). Schools already go to lengths to level GPAs from "hard" and "easy" schools, which would seem to negate the need for a universal test for all students to take. If schools suddenly stopped caring about having the highest numbers, that would be great, but so long as rankings exist they will march resolutely in the opposite direction. Perhaps the MCAT isn't flawed as a test, but I question the system its existence results in.

TL;DR: Gunners gonna gun, and the MCAT arms them.

I think it is incredibly important that they have included these things on the new MCAT. Our knowledge about health and how patients interact with the healthcare has grown so much over the past 20-30 years with significant contributions from these fields. I think that it is really important that future physicians understand the most basic of these insights. I consider the inclusion of that section one of the best decisions/changes they've made. However, they need to follow that up with removing some of the two semester of organic expectation and improve or remove the verbal section.

I'm not particularly bothered that this will make it harder for people to casually fulfill premedical requirements. There's no time limit to becoming a doctor and I think it's a mistake that people often treat it like a race. It will feel like a pain for those going through the initial changes, but there's a lot of good information and exposure that will now come from this. I'm very excited to think that we're about to shuttle a lot of really intelligent premeds into these fields to learn and grow and perhaps contribute to them.

Did I miss something? Do we currently hold psychologists/sociologists up as paragons of social interaction? Cuz if we do, I missed that memo. And so did they.

I think it is incredibly important that they have included these things on the new MCAT. Our knowledge about health and how patients interact with the healthcare has grown so much over the past 20-30 years with significant contributions from these fields. I think that it is really important that future physicians understand the most basic of these insights. I consider the inclusion of that section one of the best decisions/changes they've made. However, they need to follow that up with removing some of the two semester of organic expectation and improve or remove the verbal section.

I'm not particularly bothered that this will make it harder for people to casually fulfill premedical requirements. There's no time limit to becoming a doctor and I think it's a mistake that people often treat it like a race. It will feel like a pain for those going through the initial changes, but there's a lot of good information and exposure that will now come from this. I'm very excited to think that we're about to shuttle a lot of really intelligent premeds into these fields to learn and grow and perhaps contribute to them.

Why do you think they need to teach these things prior to medical school? The MCAT is about demonstrating academic capacity/aptitude, not content mastery. They won't stop teaching biochemistry in medical school because of its MCAT inclusion, and schools are free to require whatever classes they want (some high level schools don't have any official requirements), so why should it be included on the MCAT?

It's a multiple choice test, not an in-depth personality test. Adding sections on sociology and psychology will change nothing. The weirdos, megalomaniacs, and borderline sociopaths will still find their way into medical school. The addition of these sections is nothing more than an incredible inconvenience.

Why do you think they need to teach these things prior to medical school? The MCAT is about demonstrating academic capacity/aptitude, not content mastery. They won't stop teaching biochemistry in medical school because of its MCAT inclusion, and schools are free to require whatever classes they want (some high level schools don't have any official requirements), so why should it be included on the MCAT?

Better question, why shouldn't it be? If we take your premise that the MCAT is about demonstrating academic capacity, we should be interested in our physicians' aptitude for these topics--not only their aptitude for biology, chemistry, and reading comprehension.

It's a multiple choice test, not an in-depth personality test. Adding sections on sociology and psychology will change nothing. The weirdos, megalomaniacs, and borderline sociopaths will still find their way into medical school. The addition of these sections is nothing more than an incredible inconvenience.

Perhaps they will, but I don't particularly value the inclusion of these topics because I think it's the answer to keeping out sociopaths. I value the inclusion of these topics because it will force both future medical students and future aspiring premeds to develop competency in these topics--a competency which has not been demonstrated in the current system and understandably so. Though being a good doctor is mostly about the biology, chemistry, and physics, patient health is more than that. In fact, it's always been more than that, and I think we have a responsibility to be similarly rigorous in selecting students that can handle these realities as we are in selecting students that can handle the biology and the chemistry.

I said it before, and I'll say it again. The new content may allow for more forgiveness initially until it's more established. At least in med school's eyes.

Better question, why shouldn't it be? If we take your premise that the MCAT is about demonstrating academic capacity, we should be interested in our physicians' aptitude for these topics--not only their aptitude for biology, chemistry, and reading comprehension.

A multiple choice test is not going to qualify their aptitude for qualitative traits like capacity for empathy and sympathy. I'm not necessarily against the material itself as a scientific field, but the goal (medical students need better qualitative traits + communication skills + etc.) mentioned in the article seems fundamentally at odds with increasing material without substantially reducing other areas, and especially at odds with requiring more studying and more classroom time to achieve the same ends.

Perhaps I just have issues with the idea of marching toward an unrealistic ideal. We're facing a critical physician shortage and they've decided to increase the amount of work necessary to get into medical school, which is arguably already substantially more competitive than it was for the physicians we're all shadowing today. To me, it doesn't really make sense.

The big question is: Do learning all of that via a review book and doing well shows that they have basic insight on social cultures, how people think and interact?

Being a freshman this year. Do you think I should rush to take the 2014 MCAT or endure the 2015 MCAT? I am not a good standardized test taker and I definitely need preperation. But If I choose to take year off, that means I have to take the new 2015 MCAT while having prepared for the old one.... :confused::confused: