DAT Taken, Hope to Help W Everything I Can (AA=25, 100 percentile)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kc1469

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
***MOST IMPT, IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, PLZ DO NOT HESITATE TO ASK, I will try and answer as quickly as possible; I really hope I can help as many as you do well as I did
***(Also, if there is anything I can do to improve my DAT breakdown in terms of helping you let me know!)

Contents of this incredibly long post:
1) Scores
2) My 2cents of the DAT, which I think, at least, is insightful (...lol)
3) Everything I used for the DAT
4) How I studied and Thoughts on the Stuff I Used for the DAT
5) Closing

DAT BREAKDOWNS:
QR= 30 (100%)--- WTF
RC= 21 (88.9%)---Expected
Biology= 24 (99.6%) expected better (read below)
GC= 26 (99.2%) " "
OC= 24 (97.9%) " "
TS= 24 (99.7%) " "
AA= 25 (100%) Yay!
PAT= 19 (69.4%)---Don't Really Know How to React

Before I begin, I would like to thank the SDN community for all their help. I never commented but just took; so I think its time I paid back the community a little. I hope my advice can be of some use. And before I begin, I would also like to say a little about the DAT and what is really is (a monster).

I studied so long for this test; when I say I did not leave my room for 2.5 months, that can be taken to heart. Everyday I would wake up, and I would just study (besides eating and working out). I would say that is probably the only reason I did well. The reason I say that is because I really am not a smart kid, or if "I am," I do not think so. The most important thing for the DAT is to take it seriously; if you don't, IT WILL OWN YOU.

Going into the DAT, after having literally gone through everything, I still found it EXTREMELY difficult. During the practice tests, including those most similar to the DAT (i.e. TOPSCORE AND 2009 ADA TEST), the questions on the actual DAT seemed alot harder. Ironically, I still did as well as I generally did on those practice tests. So I guess ill just REPEAT what has been said so many times on SDN, the TOPSCORE and 2009 ADA Tests are your best bet for what you will get on the actual DAT.

The questions on the DAT require an extreme level of thinking, especially the sciences. The only way to do well, I BELEIVE, and it is only my opinion, is to understand the information cold (I did not stop studying till the hour before my test). I will get into exactly what I studied, but the tests on Topscore and even the 2009 ADA were easier than my test (at least for the sciences). That being said, I could have just recieved a really hard version on the test.

After the test, I was shocked at my scores. I thought I bombed; and that actually seems to be the general concesus; how you feel doesn't always mirror your grades. In other words, don't feel upset because you "feel" like you didn't do well, because if I felt that way; I would have completely screwed up QR (and RC).

I want to also state what I thought I would get going into the DAT. Going in, after having taken the TOPSCORE AND ADA 2009 DAT, among all the other practice stuff (which I will get into- and believe me it is ALOT) I was hoping for close to 30 on the orgo, gchem, and biology. I am not trying to sound condescending or silly, but that really is how much effort I thought I put in. ---> Which just brings me back to the overall thesis of these (as I am starting to feel, pointless dribble) paragraphs, the DAT requires you know everything.

When I say everything, don't take to mean Oh S**t. All I mean is that everything given on the SDN and general concensus of WHAT YOU NEED to do well on the DAT...... (which is listed below)
--> Which brings me to what I did...

During studying, my routine was basically this: go over everything, and then rego over everything, that way it was continuously being drilled into my head

What I used:
Kaplan Blue Book (went over once fully, and then only biology again)
AP Cliff Notes (went through three times)
DESTROYER AND MATH DESTROYER (went over both twice)
CHAD'S VIDEOS (went over three times--once through video, twice through notes, see below)
DAT Q VAULT (math, orgo, gchem, and biology)
2007 ADA & 2009 ADA Released Tests (2009 is most impt)
TOPSCORE
GOOOOOOGGGGGGLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEE is your best friend :)
Flash Cards for Equstions from Kaplan Blue Book (see below)
Chad's Outlines

1) Read over Kaplan's DAT Blue Book First (1 WEEK)
--> this relaly is jsut a cursory book, it does not go over newhere near everything you ened to know, but it does give you your basics considering some of this stuff you might have done two-three years ago; but in terms of the front cover "this will give you a higher score,"
thats a whole load of bull
- Nething I did not understand or was unsure about, I GOOGLED and jotted notes in the margin
-Underlined impt stuff so that when I reread it (which i did-more on that below), I would make sure to try and memorize it bc I knew I would forget it two months from now
-I made flash cards starting w gen chem, and continued with orgo and math and went over them when i felt like it

2) WENT over Cliifs AP Bio Notes (1 WEEK)
--> in order to do well on biology, you need this book; it really does give a copmlete and throgough thorough comprehesnion of everything biology has to offer (or most of it)-- its as simple as that
-just went over the book once and GOOGLED anythign i did not know

3)Went over CHAD'S VIDEOS for gchem and orgo; (1 WEEK)
---> Okay as it has been said before, AND I DO MEAN to beat it in the ground, you really need this; For orgo and gchem, I would say at minimal, at least 90% of everything you need to know is in here (especially for gchem)
-Took absolutly srupulous notes (legit wrote down everythign he said) so that I would NOT have to go bak and watch the videos again
In other words, its must faster to read what you wrote then rewatched three days worth of videos again (that just becomes a waste of time)
-DID THE QUIZES AT THE END!, after I finished the videos and went over my notes; I do not see the point of doing them right after, this defeats the purpose as the information is fresh in your head and obviosuly u willl get the questions correct-- my opnion its better to first make sure you understand it by going over your notes
***As a side note, print all the outlines for gchem and orgo, espeically for orgo, most of his reagents and reactiosn are listed and when your on the go, its a great way to study (I would say I reviewed those at least 4x over before my test)

4) Went over Destroyer (Ochem and Gchem only- for now)-- 3 DAYS
----> once again, wo this, u r screwed; its very funny how i would say MOST (i dont want to throw a % out there) but alot alot alot of these questiosn were very similar to or identical on my DAT and this will make sure u understand everything from chad's videos-- more so than chad's quizes
-before doing anything, i looked at the "ROADMAPs" in the middle of the book as those just refresh all the reagents for ochem from chad's videos and much more
-then I went over all of ochem, and then gchem, makign sure if i dindnt understand anything or the answer key was not enuff, TO GOOGLE IT

5) Went over Biology Destroyer- 3 DAYS
---> the biology in the destroyer is not meant to a example of DAT type questions like Ochem or gchem, but jsut to make sure YOU UNDERSTAND most of the biology that is representative of the DAT
-for this, its critical you mark all the answers for the multiple choice questions that you do not know the definition of and SEARCH IT UP and write it in the book so that when you go over the book again, YOU DO NOT have to research it up
-After going over the questiosn, I went thorugh it again (yes thats right, again) but wo doing the questiosn; this time I just looked at the questiosn and the explanations along with the answer choices

6) DID DAT Q VAULT Bio, Orgo, and Gchem(excpet for QR, which I did later, and RC, which I never did) -1 WEEK
---> this is really only good for biology and to a certain degree, QR and Ochem, but gchem is terrible, absolutley terrible; that being said, all of it is still good practice and the biology section from DAT Q VAULT is as close to the real thing (the real is much harder) but this will prepare you to a great extent
-just go over all the questions and SAVE those questions (there is an option for it) so you can rego over the questions before the test
-make sure to GOOGLE everything you don't know

7) Went over Chad's Math Videos (1 Day)
---> this will give you at least an overall idea of where you stand and most imptly, it will get you insync w the QR after a really really really long time (i.e. the SAT),
-i took notes, but you dont really have to and in hindsight, it was a bad idea, just listen and absorb
-it might be a good idea to write down all his formulas, although you can just get those from the MATH DESTROYER (most of them), but writing them down is good

8) Did MATH DESTROYER (5 Days)
---> this is phenomenal, my DAT QR WAS EXACTLY LIKE THIS, i mean every single question taht was asked on my DAT was in some shape or form EXACTLY like the math sections in this book
-make sure to go over the formulas in the beginning befoer you start
-do the questions in the time alotted-- this is IMPERATIVE, bc when you first start, you are going to suck; its just so hard bc your not used to it
-for most of them, the FIRST time around, I did not finish bc I jsut got stuck on so many of the questions; but I made sure to, even if i did not finish in time, to first attempt all those i missed before looking at the answers
sometimes you just have to give up and look, but give it your all before you do
***did the math in the DESTROYER first, but its just basic review and nothing like the MATH DESTROYER, but its good practice
9) Did DAT QVAULT Math (3 days)
--> its good practice, but the questions as you will see are not like the MATH DESTROYER, they are easier but they certainly dril into you the practice taht you need for this section

From here on out, it was just review, review, review; at this piotn, I was probably 1 month to 1.5 months into studying, and the rest goes so much quicker bc now you should have at minimum 60% of everything you learned ready to go and its just applying it from here

A Quick Synopsis of What I Did After this Point:
-Reread over Kaplan Blue Book, BIOLOGY ONLY, all ochem and gchem you will ever need is DESTROYER AND CHADS
-Reread Over Cliffs Twice (not in a row, but once after Kaplan and then again just before the exam, this time it only took me two days and then one day)
-Reread over Chad's notes
-Redid Gchem, Orgo, and Biology in DESTROYER (not math, save this for the MATH DESTROYER)
-Redid, yes thats right, redid ALL the MATH DESTROYER QUESTIONS, these are once again amazing, they are exactly like the DAT, every single one in format and type
the second time, it should be so much easier and that means you are getting it, not because you memorized the answers (after this long most of it should be like new) but bc it makes sense
-looked at flash cards that I created from the Kaplan blue book and the outlines from chads when I could
-went over all the saved questiosn from DATQVAULT for Math, Bio, Orgo, and Gchem
-continually went over the ROADMAP in DESTROYER

Started doing practice tests:
TOPSCORE AND 2009 ADA will your best bet for what you will get

Days Before Test (no rest for the weary)
-Went over Alan's BIOLOGY NOTES, found on the DDS site
-Went over ROADMAP
-Other stuff, whatever you think you need to go over

***One thing I want to say about biology. It seems that alot of people on SDN and in general say that its memorization. At least for my DAT, most of it was understanding concepts-- as surprising as that sounds. It was, for me at least, mostly conceptual (all the stuff I saw on there was not new, but some were just difficult because the questions themselves were hard, not because it was something I had not seen before)
Note: this could just have been my DAT, but its what I can gather from my DAT (i.e. you have to understand more than memorize, but memorize helps you understand... if that makes any sense)

***For the PAT, I dont feel like I have a right to comment considering I did not do so well. The PAT is much harder than even CRACK DAT PAT, but it is certainly your best bet for doing well. On CRACK DAT PAT, I started getting 17's and ended w 22's, w my high being a 24 and still got a 19.

All this being said, people might say I overdid it, but the DAT is a monster and it really does deserve respect; if you take it for granted it will own you
My studying as outlined got me what I got and I cannot say it wll do the same for you (as I am sure there is no fullproof way to get a 100%) but then again, and as the ADA puts it, there is no "alternate to learning" and the DAT makes sure you understand that by kicking your a**

If there is anythign I can expand on or assist in, just let me know and I will do my best.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Cliffs-Biology-Notes-DAT.pdf
    103 KB · Views: 452
  • Combined-KBB-Biology.pdf
    308.9 KB · Views: 380
  • examcracker-Biology-outlines.pdf
    92.1 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
Woow is this like a new trend these days? Everyone in sdn getting 99percentile or higher :eek:great job

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice job! What kind of topscore and qvault scores did you have??

Here are those breakdowns: One thing that I feel is no matter how hard you try to stimulate testing conditions at home, you will never be more focused than on the actual DAT because thats crunch time. The questions on the DAT, at least my version, were in all (for the science sections at least) much harder than Topscore or DAT Qvault. But here they are.

I am assuming you want Biology only for DATQVAULT:
In order from Test 1:
38/40
39/40
37/40
39/40
37/40
38/40
37/40
38/40
38/40
31/40 (lol)

TopScore:
Test 1:
AA: 24
Bio: 26
Chem: 21
OChem: 28
PAT: 20
QR: 24
RC: 21
TS: 25

Test 2:
AA: 23
Bio: 20
Chem: 23
QR: 23
TS: 22
PAT: 22

Test 3:
Bio: 21
Chem: 28
Ochem: 23
QR: 26

For Topscore Biology, and my DAT, were not the same. Topscore makes Biology more difficult by throwing random facts at you while the DAT makes the biology more conceptual and its more difficult for that reason. Ochem is also easier on Topscore, the level of difficult in Ochem is more comparable to DESTROYER and same for Gchem.

Last edited:
Here are those breakdowns: One thing that I feel is no matter how hard you try to stimulate testing conditions at home, you will never be more focused than on the actual DAT because thats crunch time. The questions on the DAT, at least my version, were in all (for the science sections at least) much harder than Topscore or DAT Qvault. But here they are.

I am assuming you want Biology only for DATQVAULT:
In order from Test 1:
38/40
39/40
37/40
39/40
37/40
38/40
37/40
38/40
38/40
31/40 (lol)

TopScore:
Test 1:
Bio: 26
Chem: 21
PAT: 20
QR: 24
TS: 25

Test 2:
AA: 23
Bio: 20
Chem: 23
QR: 23
TS: 22

Test 3:
Bio: 21
Chem: 28
Ochem: 23
QR: 26

For Topscore Biology, and my DAT, were not the same. Topscore makes Biology more difficult by throwing random facts at you while the DAT makes the biology more conceptual and its more difficult for that reason. Ochem is also easier on Topscore, the level of difficult in Ochem is more comparable to DESTROYER and same for Gchem.

if this is true, then im doomed for my DAT in 30 hours :scared:

if this is true, then im doomed for my DAT in 30 hours :scared:
Ahhhhh, do NOT THINK THAT. My DAT was specifically very hard. I have read so many forums saying how similiar TOPSCORE is to the actual DAT, and that is what I am trying to stress, that my DAT was particularly difficult.
If there is one thing I can say, is that your TOPSCORE and ADA 2009 will reflect your scores most of the time. I have heard of people actually doing much better (i.e. I read this post where AA was 20 on Topscore and he got a 24 AA).
Its your mindset. Just relax when you take out, and think out all the difficult ones, making sure to skip AND MARK any of the ones that will take you too long. If you answer all the easy ones, the hard ones, at least subconsciously, become easier because you start gaining confidence as your fly through the easy ones.
Be optimistic, just focus, and don't worry.

Congrats on your score man, you earned it. Glad to see that your hard work paid off. I have a question about the bio section of the DAT. Did you encounter any problems on plants, if so, to what extent do you think we are expected to know? I've never taken any courses on plant biology and even the chapter from Cliff's AP Bio seems very dense. I'm reading it but not understanding it since I just don't see the concepts in this chapter, it seems more memorization.

Can you go into more detail on how you studied Cliff's AP bio? How many times did you read the book and how did you read it? Did you take notes, make flash cards? Did you google all the bolded words?

Congrats on your score man, you earned it. Glad to see that your hard work paid off. I have a question about the bio section of the DAT. Did you encounter any problems on plants, if so, to what extent do you think we are expected to know? I've never taken any courses on plant biology and even the chapter from Cliff's AP Bio seems very dense. I'm reading it but not understanding it since I just don't see the concepts in this chapter, it seems more memorization.

Can you go into more detail on how you studied Cliff's AP bio? How many times did you read the book and how did you read it? Did you take notes, make flash cards? Did you google all the bolded words?

The importance on plants for the DAT is minimal; in fact, from what I have read, its usually either 1 or 2 questions and they are generally very basic and usually deal with the two major plant phylla: Anthophyta and Gymnophyta. Obviously there is no guarantee they will not test you on the other phylas (i.e. bryophytes, lycophytes, pterophytes) but I would say its certailny rare.

If I recall, I think I had one questions on plants, specficailly on Angiosperms. In terms of what you should know, focus on those two phyla; I can pretty much say that Cliffs AP Bio for plants should be more than sufficient. That with DESTROYER BIO and DATQVAULT and TOPSCORE, you'll be fine if you dont have trouble with the questions in those books.

For AP Cliffs Bio, I personally did not need to make flash cards for biology or specifically plants because I just took Biology 2 this last semester before summer and also in general, I did not really make flash cards because I drilled bio so hardcore into my brain.

In terms of using AP Cliffs, I read it over three times, on three separate occasions, once as listed in my first post, and then another time after having reviewed Math, Orgo, Gchem (i.e. I just restarted the cycle of reviewing with biology) and then I read it again close the exam, I would say about 1.5 weeks before, so it was pretty fresh in my mind.
I did not take notes, it becomes inefficient because there are already so many people who have made outlines for biology (look on DDS.NET, I found 3 different outlines that I used on there). Also, after reading it over three times, you'll by the third time how your basically reading a book bc ull understand at least 90% of it.

Also, in hindsight, the questions on plants after the section on plants in AP Cliffs Biology and the MC Questions in the back will be a good indicator for you. If I were you, and what I should have also done, was do those questions at the end, (i.e. after your 3rd reading through). If you can answer those questions on plants after your third time, you should be fine (in addition to of course the other sources such as DATQVAULT and DESTROYER).
Dnt wry to much about plants, if thats all your having trouble with, your defintily in good shape, lol.

Specifically for your questions. I might have googled some of the bolded wrds. I basically googled anything I dind't understand or did not know during my entire studying endeavor for the whole 2.5 months. So if the way the word was explained in a book (i.e. Cliffs or something else) was something I was unsure of, I would google it.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
BEASTLY scores man! Good job! I agree with what you said; even though I used pretty much every study material out there, the test was still hard lol.. During the whole exam I was thinking, man, Im gonna retake this haha.

Gluck with your application! Even though you dont really need it since your DAT scores are so godly haha :D

BEASTLY scores man! Good job! I agree with what you said; even though I used pretty much every study material out there, the test was still hard lol.. During the whole exam I was thinking, man, Im gonna retake this haha.

Gluck with your application! Even though you dont really need it since your DAT scores are so godly haha :D
Lol, just as good as yours. You rocked me on PAT.

The importance on plants for the DAT is minimal; in fact, from what I have read, its usually either 1 or 2 questions and they are generally very basic and usually deal with the two major plant phylla: Anthophyta and Gymnophyta. Obviously there is no guarantee they will not test you on the other phylas (i.e. bryophytes, lycophytes, pterophytes) but I would say its certailny rare.

If I recall, I think I had one questions on plants, specficailly on Angiosperms. In terms of what you should know, focus on those two phyla; I can pretty much say that Cliffs AP Bio for plants should be more than sufficient. That with DESTROYER BIO and DATQVAULT and TOPSCORE, you'll be fine if you dont have trouble with the questions in those books.

For AP Cliffs Bio, I personally did not need to make flash cards for biology or specifically plants because I just took Biology 2 this last semester before summer and also in general, I did not really make flash cards because I drilled bio so hardcore into my brain.

In terms of using AP Cliffs, I read it over three times, on three separate occasions, once as listed in my first post, and then another time after having reviewed Math, Orgo, Gchem (i.e. I just restarted the cycle of reviewing with biology) and then I read it again close the exam, I would say about 1.5 weeks before, so it was pretty fresh in my mind.
I did not take notes, it becomes inefficient because there are already so many people who have made outlines for biology (look on DDS.NET, I found 3 different outlines that I used on there). Also, after reading it over three times, you'll by the third time how your basically reading a book bc ull understand at least 90% of it.

Also, in hindsight, the questions on plants after the section on plants in AP Cliffs Biology and the MC Questions in the back will be a good indicator for you. If I were you, and what I should have also done, was do those questions at the end, (i.e. after your 3rd reading through). If you can answer those questions on plants after your third time, you should be fine (in addition to of course the other sources such as DATQVAULT and DESTROYER).
Dnt wry to much about plants, if thats all your having trouble with, your defintily in good shape, lol.

Specifically for your questions. I might have googled some of the bolded wrds. I basically googled anything I dind't understand or did not know during my entire studying endeavor for the whole 2.5 months. So if the way the word was explained in a book (i.e. Cliffs or something else) was something I was unsure of, I would google it.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the detailed reply. You're absolutely right about rereading the content several times. I think the first time reading anything new might seem confusing which was why I panicked when I first read the plant's chapter. I reread the chapter last night and googled things I didn't know, especially using google image search. It's a little better second time around. But it's good to know they're not going into dept on plants.

Thanks for the detailed reply. You're absolutely right about rereading the content several times. I think the first time reading anything new might seem confusing which was why I panicked when I first read the plant's chapter. I reread the chapter last night and googled things I didn't know, especially using google image search. It's a little better second time around. But it's good to know they're not going into dept on plants.
Of course. Anyother questions just let me know!

damn...you did so well. You really think that the 2009 ADA test is reflective? What did you score on the sections? If so....I'm going to be disappointed with my score and I need to put in way more studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
damn...you did so well. You really think that the 2009 ADA test is reflective? What did you score on the sections? If so....I'm going to be disappointed with my score and I need to put in way more studying.
Overall, yea. I did not calculate my scaled score bc they didn't have one available for that test. But I got a 97/100 on the sciences (40/40 on biology, 29/30 gchem, and 28/30 on ochem). PAT was 81/90.
RC was really bad, a 37/50. The QR is the only thing that is NOT REPRESENTATIVE of the real DAT AT ALL. It is 100000000000x harder than the real DAT.
Your best representative of QR will be MATH DESTROYER; all my questions were identical in some way shape or form to the ones from there.

Anything else you need; just let me know :)

Outrageous on the QR, and such strong scores across the board. Congratulations!

Last edited:
lollll i just saw your post
ur godly, 30=TS, like wtttfffffffff
I woudln't be surprised if you are the only one to have ever gotten that ever (you probably are)

Great job. You earned some solid scores. Also, thank you very much for a very helpful breakdown.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

how did you study for the PAT? specially the hole punching section.
I feel your pain. Hole punching was the worst for me. Best way to do it is to create the tic-tac-toe board (4x4) and mark the squares with X's (I used circles in the boxes, made it more realistic) and just do a bunch of practice problems.

I got better at it, but even at the end I had troubles for like usually one per test; if you want more help on the tic-tac-toe method you can go on Pre-DDS and they have a tutorial on it.

Anything else, let me know!

hey kc1469. great breakdown. I was wondering for the "Combined KBB Biology Notes" you attached, what is the combined referring to? Did you write those notes using KBB and another source?

hey kc1469. great breakdown. I was wondering for the "Combined KBB Biology Notes" you attached, what is the combined referring to? Did you write those notes using KBB and another source?
I am actually not sure; They were not mine, I found them online at *********** and downloaded it from there.

Wow! A 25AA and a 30QR?! nice.

What school are you planning to go if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:
Sorry but don't consider the scores to be real until you post a picture .... please read other DAT breakdowns on SDN

What do you think is the best resource to study for PAT?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Hey,
congrats on your score and thanks for posting the attachments.
Are those your notes that you took?
I am sorry for being away for so long (almost 7-8 months). I did not think that people could still see my breakdown since it gets pushed to the bottom with new posts. THey are not my notes. There are many sets of biology notes that can be found online. If you go to the predds website they have biology notes there, computer flash cards, etc that can be really helpful. (There might be errors sometimes so I suggest using this after first reading legitimate books like Cliff Notes or Kaplan Blue Book).