Total number of Applicants for D.O. schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

collar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just reading the 2012 annual report from D.O. schools and there were roughly 100,000 total applications for 2010. How many applicants do you think make up that number? As there is obviously some overlap as people apply to multiple schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just reading the 2012 annual report from D.O. schools and there were roughly 100,000 total applications for 2010. How many applicants do you think make up that number? As there is obviously some overlap as people apply to multiple schools.

I'm gonna guess around 20k

Last edited:
I live in Texas, and at the one DO school in the state, there were 2297 applicants last year. Of those, 814 got interviews. That's in-state and OOS.

Members don't see this ad :)

From what I reads, an average applicant applied to about ~10 schools so divide 100k/10= 10k applicant roughly. My ball park is around 8-10k applicants. Not even close to 20k.

2010-11 Data (percentages are approximate)

• 14,087 applicants submitted 101,027 applications (average of 7.2 schools applied to per applicant)
  • 55% receive an offer of admission from at least one osteopathic school (7748 applicants)
  • 76% applied to MD and DO (10706 applicants)
  • 15% matriculated at an MD school (2113 applicants)
  • 41% matriculated at a DO school (5788 applicants)
  • The chance of an applicant who applied to osteopathic schools getting accepted at any school (including MD) is 52.7% (7902 applicants)
Percentages for comparison of MD and DO are based on data reported from a 2009 survey by AACOM and are approximate. This is probably why more students received offers of acceptance to DO schools than were accepted at MD and DO schools.

sources:

http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/Documents/AppRpt2009.pdf

http://www.aacom.org/data/Documents/Trends-apps-enroll-grads.pdf