jordwin's DAT 9/3/13 Retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jordwin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
**If you are a re-taker, READ THIS!!!I am a re-taker and hope this thread provides any and all re-takers the confidence that scores can go up more than just a point.**

Firstly, praise the Lord. Through Him all things are possible. I would have had no chance to have the resilience to study for the 3 months that I did this summer. I cannot express how much love I have for Him and his mercy. Please, do not allow for this test to be the sole determinant of your happiness. Your life is beautiful not because of your accomplishments, but through love and compassion.

Secondly, thank all of you on SDN for being awesome and helping me have the opportunity to fight this test with more confidence! Thanks to Glimmer for her countless hours of help, especially in the beginning of my studying, Sskater and saintguitar for responding to my questions about kaplan and how to tackle the program, supergenius310 for being awesome, Eugeniager for answering a lot of my questions, and GatorD for answering anything I asked of him and for Bootcamp, which is probably the best score indicator around! If I am forgetting anyone, it isn't because I am not grateful, I am just very happy! Thanks again!! :D

Thirdly,the past studying schedule and scores:

Last year, my goal was a 19. I didn't feel as if I could get anything higher in the time I had. I had a full-time job plus was training every day for college soccer. I studied for a month, studying during my lunch break and for a couple of hours after training. The final five days I put in about 10 hours per day, taking off work to study. I used Chad's for the chemistry sections and attempted and stopped destroyer, CDP for the PAT (4 tests), Chad's for QR, CDR for reading (2 tests), and cliff's ap bio for biology.

Here are my scores from last year:

PAT- 22
QR- 21
RC- 20
BIO- 18
GC- 19
OC- 19
TS- 19
AA- 19

These scores were perfectly fine, but I wanted to give myself the opportunity to not worry about the DAT scores bringing me down AT ALL. My GPA is pretty good too (3.63 sci and 3.73 overall), but I just wanted to make it a sure thing- as close as possible anyway.

My schedule and scores for round two:

I studied for 3 months for this bad boy, studying as much as I felt healthy to do so (lol). I took a Kaplan course (course is worthless, materials they provide such as notecards and tests are beneficial, but only bio is in line with difficulty).

Scores round 2:

PAT- 30 (+8) :eek:
QR- 24 (+3)
RC- 22 (+2)
BIO- 26 (+8)
GC- 23 (+4)
OC- 29 (+10)
TS- 25 (+6)
AA- 25 (+6)

:love:

PAT 30-Kaplan, CDP (23, 21, 23, 24, 25), Bootcamp (1 test-20)- Taking the Kaplan tests, I thought this section was a joke. In actuality, these might be pretty close, except the hole punching is too easy and the angle ranking is WAY too easy. CDP seemed very close to the actual test, as I got a 25 on the last one I took and only missed angle ranking questions. I must have had a good angle ranking day today, because that's what it always came down to for my scores. I would have taken more bootcamp tests, but I was running low on study time and didn't practice this section much the last few weeks since I was scoring decently well on the Kaplan tests (scores below).

QR 24- Kaplan, Math destroyer (4 tests-untimed), Bootcamp (1 test-20). Kaplan math is way to difficult in the workshops in my opinion, the actual test was easy. That being said, the math destroyer got me at least two questions correct on the actual test, so the harder questions are in line with the math destroyer. I took the Bootcamp test before I got into the math destroyer, so that may have been pretty accurate at the time.

RC 22- I didn't feel like studying for this more than Kaplan because I did well enough last time and had no desire to try to improve it.

Biology 26- Cliff's AP, 1/2 of Barron's, Ferali's notes, Kaplan, destroyer (once), Qvualt, Bootcamp. What more do I need to say? I think the best thing for bio is exposing yourself to all the information and common questions that arise, and from there branch off into the sections you think should be studied in more depth.

Qvault scores- 22/23/21/22/22/22/22/22/22/22 ( hmm, nice average, eh? :p)

Bootcamp- 26/23/24/23/25 (Closest score predictor)

GChem 23-Kaplan, Chad's, destroyer. I was not a huge fan of either of the Kaplan chemistry sections. Frankly, they were too hard, overall, and had random physics-related questions that were not going to be on the actual DAT (its a joint class with optometry students and they have physics). It wasn't bad practice, but the destroyer was much more helpful in my opinion. I went through it once for gchem. Qvault gets a bad rap for the chemistry sections, but I enjoyed all it had to offer and the practice questions involved. Score-wise, I thought both Qvault and Bootcamp were on par here. The questions in Bootcamp, in some cases, may be harder than the actual test, but the score is very accurate.

Qvault- 26/26/22/22/26/21/21/21/26/21

Bootcamp- 22/25/21/23/21

OChem 29 Same as gchem, except I didn't go through the destroyer in the conventional way. I was struggling after the first 60 or so questions, so I thought to myself, "Is this type of studying really helping you learn?" And I knew it wasn't. So, I looked for a new way to attack the destroyer, knowing full well that the information provided in it would be essential for solid scores in this section. My determination was that I would type of question at a time, with a divide and conquer mentality. I marked down which questions dealt with reactions, which dealt with acidity/basicity, lab techniques, spectrums, nomenclature, and any "interesting questions" that I thought would be beneficial to separate. I took each of the problems that dealt with a reaction, and separated it into individual steps, making a notecard for each step. I then went over the other sections and wrote notecards for them, too, if I felt I may not remember the answer on the test. I specifically had notecards on spectrum, lab techniques, and reactions and think this was the best thing that I could have ever done. In less than two weeks, I went from scoring 19's on bootcamp to 22+ with this alone, in my opinion.

Qvault- 24/22/30/26/22/19/20/26/20/22 (I took multiple tests in a row sometimes, so I got tired and I think that made my scores fluctuate)

Bootcamp- 19/19/22/29/22

Kaplan tests (taken in the order provided)- My goal last year was a 19 and I put my goal on Kaplan at 24... maybe I should have put a 30! ;-p

PA/Bio/GC/OC/RC/QR/TS/AA
Diagnostic-these scores are pretty bogus and aren't representative
Midterm- 25/24/20/18/19/19/21/20
Final- 24/22/18/25/20/21/22/21
1- 26/21/21/23/22/25/22/22
2- 23/21/21/19/23/24/20/22
3- 22/26/18/19/20/21/22/21

The chemistry sections are weird in kaplan and get gradually harder as it progresses. Be prepared for that if you take this course!

ADA tests

2007- missed one bio, two GC, no OC. Didn't take the others.
2009- missed two bio, two GC, 3 OC, 5 pat, 11 RC, 10 math

I spent a total of three months studying for this behemoth, knowing full well the difficulty it would bring. I almost had to postpone the test due to health issues, but thank goodness I didn't (its not always a bad thing to postpone, though).

Thank you all again for the generosity and support that you have all shown to me and others. Without your help and the grace of God, I would have never come close to what I desired. Thank you, thank you, thank you fellow members of SDN. You are all beautiful people! Let me know if you have any questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1378235831.358012.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1378235820.076895.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1378235820.076895.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 298
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
HOLY GUACAMOLE! THESE SCORES ARE INCREDIBLE!

wow i don't think i've EVER seen a 30 on a PAT section...even in Glimmer's utlimate breakdown collection no one has ever managed to get higher than a 28! I'm going to be retaking in two weeks and can only hope to get in the ballpark of where your scores are.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! and if you haven't started school yet you must enjoy the rest of your summer!! WOOOO GOOD JOB AGAIN! :)

Reactions: 1 users
HOLY GUACAMOLE! THESE SCORES ARE INCREDIBLE!

wow i don't think i've EVER seen a 30 on a PAT section...even in Glimmer's utlimate breakdown collection no one has ever managed to get higher than a 28! I'm going to be retaking in two weeks and can only hope to get in the ballpark of where your scores are.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! and if you haven't started school yet you must enjoy the rest of your summer!! WOOOO GOOD JOB AGAIN! :)

Thanks! You can do it too! Keep confident and it's very possible.

Wow! Very nice! Congratulations on those scores, the admission committees are going to think you took the test open book!

Haha yeah if only! I wouldn't have had to spend 3 months studying then lol thanks and thanks for bootcamp too, solid stuff you've got there bud! Not to mention all the help you provide and emails I've sent to you lol

Holy ****!!! Amazing job

I use the same technique that you used for O-Chem Destroyer by breaking things up into flash cards, hope it helps on my retake in 2 weeks!

Amazing job!! You serve as an inspiration to others on this board for sure.

More than anything, I think this should inspire re-takers to not place limits on the scores they can achieve and that scoring significantly higher IS possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Holy ****!!! Amazing job

I use the same technique that you used for O-Chem Destroyer by breaking things up into flash cards, hope it helps on my retake in 2 weeks!

Sorry for not multi-quoting, I'm on my phone, but yes I think that's what got me that ochem score, so good luck!

Thanks everyone! Also, let me know if I should be more specific on any sections. I will gladly answer any questions you have!

Sorry for not multi-quoting, I'm on my phone, but yes I think that's what got me that ochem score, so good luck!

Couple of questions

1) On the real thing for O-Chem did you find that a lot of the questions required recalling memorized reactions on notecards or did you have to use conceptual knowledge to figure out the answers? Also did you bother with the road maps?

2) With 2 weeks left, any advice for Gen-Chem? I did a thorough run through of all my notes and Chad's quizzes over a span of 2-3 days because Destroyer was kicking my ass. I'm hoping I understand it better, but is there anything else that can help my score here? I am tempted to buy Qvault for just this section, and maybe O-Chem just because I'm weak at them. Do you think it's worth it? I can't justify spending $200 on the whole thing at this point though

Couple of questions

1) On the real thing for O-Chem did you find that a lot of the questions required recalling memorized reactions on notecards or did you have to use conceptual knowledge to figure out the answers? Also did you bother with the road maps?

2) With 2 weeks left, any advice for Gen-Chem? I did a thorough run through of all my notes and Chad's quizzes over a span of 2-3 days because Destroyer was kicking my ass. I'm hoping I understand it better, but is there anything else that can help my score here? I am tempted to buy Qvault for just this section, and maybe O-Chem just because I'm weak at them. Do you think it's worth it? I can't justify spending $200 on the whole thing at this point though

1) I thought that the chemistry sections in general were very easy and am completely surprised I only got a 23 in gen chem. I feel like they felt easy due to qvault and bootcamp being harder than the actual thing. That being said, the ochem section had a pretty good split of conceptual questions and reaction questions.
I would most definitely memorize the roadmaps if you're short for time-I did a notecard for each reaction. It wasn't hard really, I learned them as I wrote them down on the notecards and then reviewed. I think you could do that in a week, both writing and memorizing. Also, don't skimp on the lab techniques, I had a notecard from some source (I did ochem notecards on questions from practice tests that I didn't know) that, conceptually, was exactly like the real test question.

2) for Gchem, the questions really aren't bad at all compared to Qvault and bootcamp practice tests. I liked Qvault because of the amount of questions and I could save questions that I had trouble on. If you don't have bootcamp, though, I would recommend it slightly over Qvault due to the more comparable questions. That being said, Qvault was very beneficial to me and if I didn't do all of those practice questions, the harder questions on the real test wouldn't have seemed so easy.

I think I got through all 30 science tests and 11 of the bootcamp science tests in 2 weeks plus all of the bio twice on Qvault and all Gchem twice on bootcamp. So you can do it if you put the time in. I also got my Qvault from someone else, so it was half off for me. Maybe someone would be willing to sell it cheap to you if that's the route you want to go. Hope this helps!

SWEET JESUS! I know how hard you worked, and my goodness, does it show! Congratulations to you! This is just phenomenal all around. Your lowest score is a 22! Awesome. Just awesome.
Obviously, welcome to the breakdown collection! Thank you for posting a great one! :D

SWEET JESUS! I know how hard you worked, and my goodness, does it show! Congratulations to you! This is just phenomenal all around. Your lowest score is a 22! Awesome. Just awesome.
Obviously, welcome to the breakdown collection! Thank you for posting a great one! :D

Yes it's so so so nice! I really hope people look at my breakdown and believe that they can improve their scores just as much or more than I did! That was the main thing I prayed for the last couple weeks. Anyone can score what they desire to score if they have faith, optimism, and put in the effort!

Thanks for everything glimmer I really don't think I could have gotten scores like this without your help. Hopefully I can help someone in the same way you've helped me!

Omg Can I be you? I'm taking mine on Monday!!!!!
Ochem is killing me and the destroyer is depressing lol
anyways CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!! freaking awesome!

Omg Can I be you? I'm taking mine on Monday!!!!!
Ochem is killing me and the destroyer is depressing lol
anyways CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!! freaking awesome!

Ha the destroyer is rough. I think I ended up writing around 375 ish notecards for the ochem destroyer, and I really do think it was what helped me increase my score by so much. Good luck, you can do it!

Ha the destroyer is rough. I think I ended up writing around 375 ish notecards for the ochem destroyer, and I really do think it was what helped me increase my score by so much. Good luck, you can do it!

Congrats on the awesome score. Admissions will love those improvements.

Since you saw the real monster twice, which practice test company do you feel like best represented the actual DAT in terms of wording and difficulty?

I've been mainly relying on DAT Bootcamp, QVault and Achiever for practice sections or full tests and I feel like there's a huge difference between the newer companies (QVault/Bootcamp) versus Achiever especially in G-Chem. Even O-Chem, I notice more straightforward reactions in the newer companies while Achiever is more conceptual.

Wondering if you can give me further insight on that. Thanks, in advance. Again, congrats. :thumbup:

Congrats on the awesome score. Admissions will love those improvements.

Since you saw the real monster twice, which practice test company do you feel like best represented the actual DAT in terms of wording and difficulty?

I've been mainly relying on DAT Bootcamp, QVault and Achiever for practice sections or full tests and I feel like there's a huge difference between the newer companies (QVault/Bootcamp) versus Achiever especially in G-Chem. Even O-Chem, I notice more straightforward reactions in the newer companies while Achiever is more conceptual.

Wondering if you can give me further insight on that. Thanks, in advance. Again, congrats. :thumbup:

I wish I could help with comparing Achiever, but I didn't end up using this software. Most people don't seem to think that QVault is good for the chemistry sections, but I would disagree. I feel like all of the questions helped me out in one way or another, whether through challenging me or comparing to actual DAT questions. I thought that as an average, the wordings of Bootcamp were the best, but the QVault questions (especially the biology tests) were extremely valuable to me as well. I missed the same amount of questions on the biology sections of QVault and Bootcamp each time ~1-5, but Bootcamp's scores correlated more closely to the actual test score. I averaged 22's on QVault and around 24 for Bootcamp (ended with a 26). The chemistry scoring of QVault is on par with Bootcamp though.

That being said, I really think the straight forward question styles is what you need to be looking for. They provide questions with the correct wording, as well as difficulty (although BC is a little tougher in the chemistry sections).

Just gauging interest here. I'm thinking about writing a book to help pre health students.

I was previously accepted to dental school and am now a fourth year. I was not accepted initially into school because of average stats, etc, etc and changed my whole outlook. My attitude and drive changed for the better, and I am now in an out-of-state school with a 2% acceptance of out of state applicants at the time. And now I'm top 10% in my class.

1) Would anyone be interested in a book like this?

2) Do you have any questions that I could answer here and in my writing?

If you have any ideas you can post here or message me.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am on probationary status for posting a link to my Facebook group if anyone was wondering. My bad!

Reactions: 1 user
I think a book of your story would be cool. I'm sure you'd answer these questions in the book, but a few questions I have: what do you think was key to your success in dental school and what are your plans afterwards?

I think a book of your story would be cool. I'm sure you'd answer these questions in the book, but a few questions I have: what do you think was key to your success in dental school and what are your plans afterwards?

Keys to success for myself in dental school:
1) Having significant other on board with the time commitment
2) Studying a different subject as a 'break' from the one I was studying most-without getting over stressed. If I felt I couldn't study anymore, I would take a real break.
3) Even if you don't like a subject or multiple subjects, PRETEND you do. You will be surprised how you can change your mindset to be able to study topics that you initially had little interest in
4) Take at least a day off. You really need to rejuvenate yourself sometimes. Go to a sporting event at school, get outside, or spend time with family-without the guilty feeling you may get when you don't study 24/7.
5) Make friends in school-they're all going through the same thing you are, and you will see them more than you see your family. You might as well get to know them!
6) Extra: I had/have an hour drive to and from school. I used this time my first two years to decompress. I attempted to listen to audio from class, but it wasn't conducive to my overall studying. I would recommend taking some time for yourself after class to be away from it for a while before you get into studying again.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions or if I can help in another way.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile