Took the DAT this morning (5/4)--Results and Breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tandem7

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am SO HAPPY to finally be on this board as someone who can provide their DAT success story! As many others have said, I am SO GRATEFUL to the people on this board who have posted their breakdowns, who have responded to my threads, and who have messaged with me offline. I want to give a special shout out to free99, Glimmer 1991, acoburn73, Feralis, GatorD, dentalworks, and longcatislong (sorry if I left anyone out) who personally messaged me and provided their insight and keys to success.

Now my breakdown:
PAT: 20 (very relieved that it wasn't lower and happy with this)
QR: 20 (same as above)
RC: 25
BIO: 24 (shocked--went into the exam thinking I'd get a 17)
GC: 25
OG: 29 (bummed that I missed one! Ha!)
TS: 26
AA: 25

Background: I am a non-traditional student. I used Dentalworks' schedule, with some personal modifications based on time I had and weaknesses I have. Here's my breakdown.

Bio: DAT destroyer, qvault, Cliff's AP bio, handmade flashcards, barron's flashcards, Craig Savage videos, Khan academy, Wikipedia

Can I just say that bio was the biggest pleasant surprise? The day before the exam, I was going over my bio notes and felt that everything was so foreign to me and all jumbled in my head and that I would forget so many things. I also averaged 19 on qvault. As everyone says, on the real exam, it is "breadth before depth." I really don't think I got any questions about anything in specific that I didn't study. The questions were worded a little funny, and they required you to think a little deeper, but it wasn't really that tricky. Everything I used was very helpful in preparing for this. The way I really understood concepts was think of the big picture and draw out the process of how it happens. By the time I finished my studying, I had so many random pieces of paper with various diagrams I drew to study for Bio.

GC: Chad's, DAT Destroyer
I went through DAT Destroyer for GC once, and Chad's videos and quizzes once in the beginning. The day before the exam, I went through all of Chad's quizzes a second time. On the real thing, I got some really tricky questions; a good 1/3 or 1/2 were calculations, but they set many of them up for you.

OC: Chad's, DAT Destroyer
Same as above. I studied for this least (after RC). I only went through DAT Destroyer once for these also. DAT Destroyer is WAY harder than this OC test. I actually thought it was really easy (although I am not the best to judge---OC was always my "thing" in college and I did my senior chemistry research in an organic lab).

PAT: CDP, Achiever, My Wicket PAT tutorial, Youtube videos

I was also very worried about this score going into it. I used CDP for the first 9 tests. When my average was consistently between 19-21, I started getting worried, so I got the 5 test version of achiever during the last two weeks for PAT only. Achiever was good to show you how hard some problems can be. I took my final CDP test yesterday (the day before the DAT) and scored a 23, which really helped my confidence going into the exam. I would recommend that people take at least half of CDP, then take achiever (without worrying about your score) and then take the final CDP tests to see how your score improves.

Real thing: HARDER THAN ACHIEVER AND CDP! I think I got a really hard version of the test or something, because most of the keyholes were as hard as Achiever, TFE was comparable to both. ANGLES WERE THE HARDEST I HAVE EVER SEEN! For most of them, I could not even tell the difference between the biggest and smallest angle (and in achiever/CDP I consistently scored above 75% for angles). The hole punching was also harder than both Achiever and CDP. I was consistently getting 100% on both and felt like I had no clue on the real test. There were also tons of 1/3 folds. I wasn't even halfway through the hole punching when I noticed I had less than 20 minutes left, so I freaked out. The cube counting was also HARDER than achiever and on par with CDP. All of mine had imaginary cubes! The one section that was notably easier was pattern folding. I will say that I thought I got, at most, a 17 on this section when I finished. Seriously. AT MOST! After my break, I became resigned and figured with the PAT, I was going to bomb it anyway, so nothing really mattered...

RC: CDR (only took two tests)
So I wasn't planning on studying for this at all. However, 2 weeks before my test, I quickly took a practice test in the KBB and didn't score so hot, so I bought the CDR to give me some practice tests. They were helpful in the sense that you get to work on your strategy and timing, so I am glad I took them. I averaged a 21 on both of those two tests. Coming into RC, after my break, I was so upset about PAT, so I came in thinking "whatever." My first passage in RC was SO HARD, which didn't make it better with so much scientific verbiage! I felt like I guessed on many in the first passage. The next two passages were more user friendly. I got one tone/inference question total; the rest was S&D. My strategy was quickly skimming the whole thing, writing down key words to stay engaged in the passage, and then S&D.

QR: Chad's, Math Destroyer, QVault
I was very worried about QR. I took tests 1-10 of Math Destroyer twice. By the second time through, I felt ok about my QR skills, since you can see how you've improved and that you know how to set things up (whereas before, I would just stare at a problem like it was an alien). I started doing Qvault two weeks before the exam, which was a HUGE confidence booster from Math Destroyer (my average QR qvault was about 21). I thought my actual exam was a hybrid of Qvault/Math Destroyer and was harder than I expected. I marked 10 of my questions and almost ran out of time. I probably flat out guessed on 5 of the questions at the least. The calculator worked ok--not perfect but it helped.

My opinion about full length practice exams:
I really felt that time was an issue during my studying. I had one month to study, which included classes I was taking (along with tests, etc.) so each spare moment I had to study counted. I decided I would spend more time learning concepts than taking practice exams, so I never took a single full length exam. Ever. I also didn't take one for the bar exam, which I passed easily, (which is 8 hours a day for two days in a row), so I knew that adrenaline would give me the endurance to take the test. I thought about taking a 2009 ADA test before my exam, but decided against it because of the time issue, and I thought it might freak me out and hurt my confidence. In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't take any practice tests. It might help some people, but I knew it would have little benefit to me.

Overall:
I also want to thank this incredible community and would like to pay it forward. If you have any questions at all, please feel to respond to this post or message me! Now, I am getting a mani/pedi to begin celebrating!

I also want to thank Ari again for creating DAT Bootcamp and Question of the Day. These materials were also VERY HELPFUL to my studying--not just for the DAT questions, but I found that Ari's blogs on the DAT bootcamp website were very helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Woah!! Big scores. Congratulations Dr. Lawyer and best of luck during the cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow awesome scores. hard work sure gives good results

if you dont mind me asking I have two questions:

1.) how long did it take for you to cover Chad's videos on Biology, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Math?

2.) Would you prefer CDP or Acheiver or both are needed to do well on the PAT?

The cool part about being a lawyer-dentist, is that now the patients will think twice before suing you (unless if its something really bad of course)

In response to MrKrebsCycle:

1.) how long did it take for you to cover Chad's videos on Biology, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Math?

I used the Dental Works study schedule, so it took about 3 weeks to cover all Chad's GC/OC/ and QR in that time. I definitely don't think you should condense it to any time frame shorter than that because it's hard to retain everything when you are going over vast amounts of material in a short period of time.

I only watched the first three videos on bio from Chad's toward the end of my studying. They were definitely helpful, but I was running out of time and wanted to focus more on fine-tuning my understanding of A&P, and Chad's videos don't have any A&P but maybe he will add them in the future.

2.) Would you prefer CDP or Acheiver or both are needed to do well on the PAT?

For me, Achiever was so helpful but CDP is a must too. I was already freaking out when I took the real PAT because it was way harder than I expected, but at least I had already seen some really difficult problems because of Achiever, so I was able to try to get through it. Achiever was also the ONLY software that had some 1/3 folds on the hole punching, so I learned how to do it. On the real exam, I would guess that 2/3 of my hole punching problems had 1/3 folds, so Achiever definitely helped there.

Hey, congratulations on your scores! Which biology videos did you watch from Khan & Craig Savage, and how many? I know this is kind of a broad question, but I have a similar game plan. I'm taking the DAT 3 months from now, and I plan on reading Barron's AP Biology while watching Khan/ youtube videos to supplement it. I guess I'm just super nervous because I didn't take any biology courses/ have any experience with it; I really don't want to waste any precious time on unnecessary videos. Thanks, this would help a lot!

Hello! I am SO HAPPY to finally be on this board as someone who can provide their DAT success story! As many others have said, I am SO GRATEFUL to the people on this board who have posted their breakdowns, who have responded to my threads, and who have messaged with me offline. I want to give a special shout out to free99, Glimmer 1991, acoburn73, Feralis, GatorD, dentalworks, and longcatislong (sorry if I left anyone out) who personally messaged me and provided their insight and keys to success.

Now my breakdown:
PAT: 20 (very relieved that it wasn't lower and happy with this)
QR: 20 (same as above)
RC: 25
BIO: 24 (shocked--went into the exam thinking I'd get a 17)
GC: 25
OG: 29 (bummed that I missed one! Ha!)
TS: 26
AA: 25

Background: I am a non-traditional student. I used Dentalworks' schedule, with some personal modifications based on time I had and weaknesses I have. Here's my breakdown.

Bio: DAT destroyer, qvault, Cliff's AP bio, handmade flashcards, barron's flashcards, Craig Savage videos, Khan academy, Wikipedia

Can I just say that bio was the biggest pleasant surprise? The day before the exam, I was going over my bio notes and felt that everything was so foreign to me and all jumbled in my head and that I would forget so many things. I also averaged 19 on qvault. As everyone says, on the real exam, it is "breadth before depth." I really don't think I got any questions about anything in specific that I didn't study. The questions were worded a little funny, and they required you to think a little deeper, but it wasn't really that tricky. Everything I used was very helpful in preparing for this. The way I really understood concepts was think of the big picture and draw out the process of how it happens. By the time I finished my studying, I had so many random pieces of paper with various diagrams I drew to study for Bio.

GC: Chad's, DAT Destroyer
I went through DAT Destroyer for GC once, and Chad's videos and quizzes once in the beginning. The day before the exam, I went through all of Chad's quizzes a second time. On the real thing, I got some really tricky questions; a good 1/3 or 1/2 were calculations, but they set many of them up for you.

OC: Chad's, DAT Destroyer
Same as above. I studied for this least (after RC). I only went through DAT Destroyer once for these also. DAT Destroyer is WAY harder than this OC test. I actually thought it was really easy (although I am not the best to judge---OC was always my "thing" in college and I did my senior chemistry research in an organic lab).

PAT: CDP, Achiever, My Wicket PAT tutorial, Youtube videos

I was also very worried about this score going into it. I used CDP for the first 9 tests. When my average was consistently between 19-21, I started getting worried, so I got the 5 test version of achiever during the last two weeks for PAT only. Achiever was good to show you how hard some problems can be. I took my final CDP test yesterday (the day before the DAT) and scored a 23, which really helped my confidence going into the exam. I would recommend that people take at least half of CDP, then take achiever (without worrying about your score) and then take the final CDP tests to see how your score improves.

Real thing: HARDER THAN ACHIEVER AND CDP! I think I got a really hard version of the test or something, because most of the keyholes were as hard as Achiever, TFE was comparable to both. ANGLES WERE THE HARDEST I HAVE EVER SEEN! For most of them, I could not even tell the difference between the biggest and smallest angle (and in achiever/CDP I consistently scored above 75% for angles). The hole punching was also harder than both Achiever and CDP. I was consistently getting 100% on both and felt like I had no clue on the real test. There were also tons of 1/3 folds. I wasn't even halfway through the hole punching when I noticed I had less than 20 minutes left, so I freaked out. The cube counting was also HARDER than achiever and on par with CDP. All of mine had imaginary cubes! The one section that was notably easier was pattern folding. I will say that I thought I got, at most, a 17 on this section when I finished. Seriously. AT MOST! After my break, I became resigned and figured with the PAT, I was going to bomb it anyway, so nothing really mattered...

RC: CDR (only took two tests)
So I wasn't planning on studying for this at all. However, 2 weeks before my test, I quickly took a practice test in the KBB and didn't score so hot, so I bought the CDR to give me some practice tests. They were helpful in the sense that you get to work on your strategy and timing, so I am glad I took them. I averaged a 21 on both of those two tests. Coming into RC, after my break, I was so upset about PAT, so I came in thinking "whatever." My first passage in RC was SO HARD, which didn't make it better with so much scientific verbiage! I felt like I guessed on many in the first passage. The next two passages were more user friendly. I got one tone/inference question total; the rest was S&D. My strategy was quickly skimming the whole thing, writing down key words to stay engaged in the passage, and then S&D.

QR: Chad's, Math Destroyer, QVault
I was very worried about QR. I took tests 1-10 of Math Destroyer twice. By the second time through, I felt ok about my QR skills, since you can see how you've improved and that you know how to set things up (whereas before, I would just stare at a problem like it was an alien). I started doing Qvault two weeks before the exam, which was a HUGE confidence booster from Math Destroyer (my average QR qvault was about 21). I thought my actual exam was a hybrid of Qvault/Math Destroyer and was harder than I expected. I marked 10 of my questions and almost ran out of time. I probably flat out guessed on 5 of the questions at the least. The calculator worked ok--not perfect but it helped.

My opinion about full length practice exams:
I really felt that time was an issue during my studying. I had one month to study, which included classes I was taking (along with tests, etc.) so each spare moment I had to study counted. I decided I would spend more time learning concepts than taking practice exams, so I never took a single full length exam. Ever. I also didn't take one for the bar exam, which I passed easily, (which is 8 hours a day for two days in a row), so I knew that adrenaline would give me the endurance to take the test. I thought about taking a 2009 ADA test before my exam, but decided against it because of the time issue, and I thought it might freak me out and hurt my confidence. In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't take any practice tests. It might help some people, but I knew it would have little benefit to me.

Overall:
I also want to thank this incredible community and would like to pay it forward. If you have any questions at all, please feel to respond to this post or message me! Now, I am getting a mani/pedi to begin celebrating!

I also want to thank Ari again for creating DAT Bootcamp and Question of the Day. These materials were also VERY HELPFUL to my studying--not just for the DAT questions, but I found that Ari's blogs on the DAT bootcamp website were very helpful.
Hey, congratulations on your scores! Which biology videos did you watch from Khan & Craig Savage, and how many? I know this is kind of a broad question, but I have a similar game plan. I'm taking the DAT 3 months from now, and I plan on reading Barron's AP Biology while watching Khan/ youtube videos to supplement it. I guess I'm just super nervous because I didn't take any biology courses/ have any experience with it; I really don't want to waste any precious time on unnecessary videos. Thanks, this would help a lot!
How many hrs did you studied the destroyer? Is gc and org chem very much like the destroyer?

I don't remember which ones I watched exactly--I mostly watched videos in areas where I had some trouble, particularly Anatomy and Physiology. I also used google to find other videos--there are a lot out there, and if you are having trouble with a certain topic, look at as many videos as you can. I remember I was having trouble with the excretory system, and it wouldn't "click" for me, until I found one random video (I don't remember which one--it wasn't Khan or Savage), and it explained it in a way for me to completely understand.

Also, Chad has some good and free bio videos (although none of them were for A&P).

How many hrs did you studied the destroyer? Is gc and org chem very much like the destroyer?

The organic chem was way easier than destroyer. The questions were much simpler and tested basic concepts. I was getting about 3/4 right on Destroyer and got a 29 on the real thing (I really think I just missed one question on the DAT). The GC was more in line with destroyer, maybe slightly easier if anything.

I don't remember how many hours I studied destroyer. I did about 35 GC, 35 OC, and 35 bio questions a day and reviewed the answers thoroughly, including using textbooks and online resources to confirm why I got answers right or wrong. I did Destroyer completely two times...then, for the questions I kept getting wrong, I kept taking the questions that I got wrong and redoing them until my list of "wrong questions" got smaller and smaller. I hope that helps!

Did you see a lot of parasitology questions on the DAT and less ecology?

I don't remember whether I had those or not. I will say, I think the exam changes based on what test version you are taking (and there are several versions that go around at any time), so you have a good chance of getting both or neither on your exam. Again, is is breadth before depth though--study everything but not necessarily with a fine-toothed comb.

I don't remember whether I had those or not. I will say, I think the exam changes based on what test version you are taking (and there are several versions that go around at any time), so you have a good chance of getting both or neither on your exam. Again, is is breadth before depth though--study everything but not necessarily with a fine-toothed comb.
Thanks. So the best would be to study all the topics in equal volume.

Reactions: 1 user
Nailed it!!!!!. congrats. as for the 29 in OG, i dont think you got anything wrong.
well done